Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sweeping during sparring

It has been quite obvious from TT's posts that he has never learned the "real falling" and the way he teaches people to fall is just glorified judo, not that there is anything wrong with that mcdojo stuff, but in the secret TCMA way to break fall, which I learned but will not describe to you, well, it's just so much better

Yeah, basicly teach them to fall, the rest takes care of itslef
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    It's also important to train how to escape out of a sweep when you have 25%, 50%, and 75% weight on your front leg.

knowing how to fall should be taught to everyone imo. in life the only people that tend to never/rarely fall have good self body awareness and balance as well as reflex and reaction if the balance is lost.

regular people fall down all the time and they actually get hurt from just falling. now if they knew how to fall....

no real point in reiterating the responses in this thread as to when is best to start using sweeping in sparring, but i will add this:

its really funny to watch someone try to sweep if they dont know how...especially if they fall down trying.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    our beginner's curriculum begins with breakfalls and then sweeps.
    Anyone who does not teach their students how to take a proper fall, is doing them a diservice.
    I tell my students that if they learn nothing else from me, they will learn how to fall.
    You may never get into a fight, but you will always fall.
    IMO falling only works in a curriculum if throwing/takedowns are also being taught. Otherwise people will just scratch their heads and wonder why they are falling. Your reasoning is sound for teaching regular people how to fall. Boxers don't learn break falls. Millions of people get hurt in car accidents every year. The best thing to do is to relax in a collision. Because of this should we teach martial arts students to sit relaxed for long periods of time during class?

er qi jiao

2 high jumps, one leg after the other

defense against a low leg sweep.

or tumbling either forward or backward as pointed out.

Quote Originally Posted by xcakid View Post
    So far I have stabbed myself with a sword long story. Torn an MCL and severely sprained an ankle.
    I cut myself plenty of times when I first started to learn how to use straight sword

but never stab myself.

keep fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I know this guy, once he walked out of his house and tried to cross the street

A truck hit him and killed him

So you should never leave your house

Most definitely never try to cross the street
    Yes. There is a possibility for injury in any athletic endeavor whether it be recreational martial arts, soccer, flag football even... It comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
    Yes. There is a possibility for injury in any athletic endeavor whether it be recreational martial arts, soccer, flag football even... It comes with the territory.
    you and Frank win the prize

(of course the prize is a cruise together, but you can discuss it in the green room)

Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by kungfoozer View Post
    . The best thing to do is to relax in a collision. Because of this should we teach martial arts students to sit relaxed for long periods of time during class?

We're all practicing that right now, as we type on the forum.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I know this guy, once he walked out of his house and tried to cross the street

A truck hit him and killed him

So you should never leave your house

Most definitely never try to cross the street

This is actually good advice in Manhattan.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by kungfoozer View Post
    IMO falling only works in a curriculum if throwing/takedowns are also being taught. Otherwise people will just scratch their heads and wonder why they are falling. Your reasoning is sound for teaching regular people how to fall. Boxers don't learn break falls. Millions of people get hurt in car accidents every year. The best thing to do is to relax in a collision. Because of this should we teach martial arts students to sit relaxed for long periods of time during class?
    BTW-studies have shown that people who participated in contact sports,i.e. Hockey, Football, Martial Arts, etc had higher auto accident survival rates due to the fact that their bodies could withstand trauma. The fascia,connective tissues etc were strengthened from the impact training.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

thanks guys. I think Im going to have the conversation with my master. Since its being done I want to be taught to deal with them