Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Capoiera Vs Kung fu

count Guest
    There must be a ton of bad capoiera out there to have so many people with similiar misconceptions about it. I guess that's the same problem with kung fu?
    :confused:

fiercest tiger Guest

easy

wait till he does a hand stand and kick him in the face, or break his elbow...hahahah

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun Guest
    No disrespect because I have no knowledge of this art other than seeing Al D'son doing it in a movie.
    But the polka thing got me cracking up,
    a vision of John Candy(RIP) wearing sun glasses dancing around in
    amazon tarzan shorts and deadly flip flops to polka music forever burned in my memory.

**** you Eric,only a cheese grower would
    come up with that counter! :D

[This message was edited by tnwingtsun on 03-17-01 at 10:11 PM.]

YoungForest Guest
    I don't disagree with your count because obviously there is something positive about the art that kept it alive ever since, BUT that doesn't mean that everyone who practices it will be a master of it. What is the chances of a good Capoeira fighter? 5 percent? 10 percent? 50 percent?....well i haven't seen one yet and there are capoeira schools where I live and its nothing but break dancing with tricky strikes...that's where we lead to the negative sides of the art like going along with a beat (your opponent can set u off), and its "trickyness".

count Guest

JigGa

I would say the odds of a prationers proficiency would be 100 percent equal with that of ANY other martial art. You find poor quality people in all martial arts. Always a good rule of thumb to prepare for the best though.
    I must admit, that polka concept cracked me up too.
    I must caution fiercest tiger to go back and read my post about the handstand or you may get caught in a "fiercest tiger trap". I gave a direct method of attacking the posture but the correct way to beat any trap/set-up is to spring it.ˇ

Tien Long Guest
    Hmmmmmmm, what can I tell you that can make you beat the capoeria guys...I guess I should say watch out when the person comes close to you. I can't tell you how many times I've been triped, or nearly head-butted by my master (course I've only been taking it for a couple of months). If you want to see a REALLY cool Capoeria vs. Kung Fu match, I suggest you rent "The Quest" with Jean Claude Van ****e. Skip through the first 20 mins. and go the match with CHina against Brazil. Man, monkey kung fu against capoeria was just too cool.

"Watch the skies, the DRAGON flies!"

rogue Guest
    Ask the BJJ guys, the Brazillian ones, about it. I'm sure they've got some good counters to it.
    A good quick leg lock would seem to slow them down, just watch for the other foot.

Tvebak Guest

Capoeira.

Many people teach capoeira in a way that is not very usefull in combat,this is actually the same with many forms of MA.
    Capoeira is effective if the practisioner has looked into the right aspects of his art.
    Being young and foolish i have myself tested my capoeira against other forms of MA, i have had my ass handed to me several times, but often i have been able to take my sparring partners by surprice.
    Make sure if you take a sparring session with a capoeirista that its in a friendly way.
    Capoeira is also hitting you with a car or shooting your head off with a gun.
    In my wiew if the guy steps up in front of you and start to ginga, either its not a fight or that guy is not a experienced capoeirista.
    The best way to know good capoeira is when it stabs you in the back.

"Capoeira is threachery"
    -Mestre Bimba.

AsianSifu Guest

ninja loser bullsh*t

Stab him in the back? How about showing those big tough guys by bringing guns to school? Is that Capoira? It was a wrestling art hidden in dances. Its like Janet Jackson putting wushu into her dancing and learning to fight by watching. If he sweeps, jump kick his face. Capoera has throwing. I know that, but basically the art is for dancing and making fun.

I don't have a signature because I have no pen to write it.

AsianSifu Guest

capoiera sucks

I don't have a signature because I have no pen to write it.

Tvebak Guest

AsianSifu.

I can not in any way imagine the point you are trying to make with your two posts.
    I can see that you took my comments about guns a bit hard, and i am sorry for that.
    The point i was trying to make was that in capoeira many people have a diffrent understanding of the word fighting.
    I dont fight capoeira with my friends, i play capoeira with my friends.
    I may play rough, this including throwing,using elbows,fists,cutting hands, finger attacks to the eyes and throat,headbutts,takedowns, grappling and knees but i will do so in such a way that we still remain friends afterwards.
    Lets keep the same spirit in the discussions here.
    Peace.

naturesfist Guest
    i study kung fu and have an interest in the other art in question. and from the posts gone before many have some serious flaws with their thought on capoiera. the art does have hand strikes and most of them are directed towards pressure points that bring about uncontiosness. the ginga(or dance), it's rhythym can be changed and adjusted to suit the pace of the fight (so the polka thing won't work. Another inportant point of the art for is that the practioner can start one move and finish with another that's why assuming a capoierist's next move can cost you dearly. your best bet with fighting a capoierist is to fight in close and keep him having to cahange his rhythym as each rhythym has its own mind set and it's harder to do some move at faster or slower rhythyms.

and to anyone who doubts the effectiveness of capoiera just check out the history of the art where a group of slave armed with only razor wiped out an entire army equipped with guns with minimal to no loss.

Budokan Guest
    "And to anyone who doubts the effectiveness of capoiera just check out the history of the art where a group of slave armed with only razor wiped out an entire army equipped with guns with minimal to no loss."

This sounds like one of those legends that crop up in all styles of martial arts over the years. I find this claim as doubtful as the one about the tiger killing people with it's powerful tail in Shaolin-do, or Gichin Funakoshi battling a hurricane.

K. Mark Hoover

Ghost Dog Guest

Capoeira

Eh, I guess I ought to stick up for my capoeirista brothers and sisters.

Like all arts, there are skilled and not so skilled practioners. It is true that capoeira is often perceived as a fluid type of break-dancing. However, at a medium to advanced level, a capoeirista would stand as good a chance as any in a scrap.
    Concerning BJJ, there have been some slightly unofficial competitions (i.e. fights behind the bikesheds after school) between the two - which was inevitable really. The capoeristas faired rather well.
    Because it is a full contact fighting art by origin, many people still play capoeira in a physical manner- you can really get the stuffing knocked out of you in a roda. Back in the day, local disputes were settled by capoeira - whoever came out of the roda in one piece won (we are not supposed to ask what happened to the other guy).
    If you have never boxed or fought with a capoeira player, have no doubts as to his or her competence as a fighter. The use of words such as play, and game in capoeira are rather disconcerting - kind of like 'All in cricket' if anyone remembers the brilliant Monty Python sketch. Anywho, I've wasted enough of your time.
    But before I go, if you want to improve your flexibility, start capoeira. Also, if anyone here does any full contact fighting, throwing in a jinga and a mae lua de compasso (spell check!) will scare the be-jesus out of your opponent.
    Feel the ryhthm of your heart :)

Ghost Dog Guest

Capoeira

Eh, I guess I ought to stick up for my capoeirista brothers and sisters.

Like all arts, there are skilled and not so skilled practioners. It is true that capoeira is often perceived as a fluid type of break-dancing. However, at a medium to advanced level, a capoeirista would stand as good a chance as any in a scrap.
    Concerning BJJ, there have been some slightly unofficial competitions (i.e. fights behind the bikesheds after school) between the two - which was inevitable really. The capoeristas faired rather well.
    Because it is a full contact fighting art by origin, many people still play capoeira in a physical manner- you can really get the stuffing knocked out of you in a roda. Back in the day, local disputes were settled by capoeira - whoever came out of the roda in one piece won (we are not supposed to ask what happened to the other guy).
    If you have never boxed or fought with a capoeira player, have no doubts as to his or her competence as a fighter. The use of words such as play, and game in capoeira are rather disconcerting - kind of like 'All in cricket' if anyone remembers the brilliant Monty Python sketch. Anywho, I've wasted enough of your time.
    But before I go, if you want to improve your flexibility, start capoeira. Also, if anyone here does any full contact fighting, throwing in a jinga and a mae lua de compasso (spell check!) will scare the be-jesus out of your opponent.
    Feel the ryhthm of your heart ;)