Thread: Striking devices for weapons.

Striking devices for weapons.

All sparring aside, what devices do you use to correct your structure in striking techniques when using weapons?

For instance, with short blades, mallets, hammers and other metal weapons I find that used tires in various configurations are great devices to use the weapon full blast on.

For blunts like staffs, working on weapon retention and correctly issuing force with them the only alternative I have is a heavy bag.

In the staff uses I know, some of the techs have you moving forward with your whole body following the strike with the staff. So, a skinny bag or heavy bag works, but if you do this you can't use pealed rattan or cracked hardwoods because they will snap and possibly cause injury.

Extra padding tied to the heavy bag is useful as well because it ensures that the bag itself isn't damaged by you wailing on it.

For the purpose of body structure and force issuance, these devices work well. Deflection & Stopping exercises I have no device for and depend on drills with a partner to work on this.

Another thing I've found useful as a device for big knife and sword work is cardboard boxes. Fold them into tight bundles or if you dont have enough, the corners and edges on the box can be used to determine correct structure and blade carrying. Also, for thrusting, the bundles are great because you can draw targets, do stepping drills etc.

It's easier to rebundle the cut pieces and send them for recycling as well.

What do you use?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I have a padded HB that can take the shots and I use this little guy:

http://www.dummiesunlimited.com/grappleman.htm
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I like hanging bags or hanging/suspended boxes. I also like to take an old long sleeve shirt and fill it and hang that too. if you want to get jiggy wit it you can suspend it between the floor and the ground, like a suspended hanging speed bag. I like rope better than bungie for that though.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.