Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cauliflower ear

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    There is something wrong with this picture. Coliflower ear is due to serious abuse, and if the ears are getting that abused, so is the head. I always considered it to be simply a mental problem, because if a person puts himself into such a situation he has lost most of his ability to reason. Stop letting people punch you in the face or you will have far more to worry about than coliflower ear.
    god not again, its standard in rugby wrestling judo etc any sport with contact can cause it

i have exactly the same thing as OSO and i need special ear phones these days lol

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    god not again, its standard in rugby wrestling judo etc any sport with contact can cause it

i have exactly the same thing as OSO and i need special ear phones these days lol
    lol, yea it's not that bad...just something i noticed when I bought new ear phones not expecting to need the small pads.

and, i don't think i've ever been HIT in the ear ever...had them scraped off the side of my head plenty of times though.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I got an aural hematoma (blood clot in the folds of skin of the ear, the precurser to cauli ear) in April and another one last month, from jiu jitsu. They occurred from pulling my head repeatedly out of headlocks and other ear-scraping grappling, not from being struck.

See attachment for what a fresh aural hematoma looks like. That's where I had my first one, and it looked exactly like that. It didn't even hurt that much.... my ears had hurt for months every time they were touched, from all the repetitive scraping. One day I got in the car after practice and looked in the rearview, and there it was, big as life and twice as ugly.

If it's fresh, you should have it drained and a compression bandage put on to keep it from filling up again. The older it is, the more difficult it is to drain because the blood clots up. After a certain time frame, the ear is deformed and you can't really do much unless you want to have cosmetic surgery to reshape the ear (and even then it won't be the same).

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

i wore ear guards the minute i started grappling theres no was way ill end up deformed.
    Last edited by goju; 11-20-2010 at 08:12 AM.

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I bought some ear guards after the first hematoma in April. I hate those ear guards, but the hematoma was worse. I went to the Urgent Care to have it drained. It was a horrible experience. They stuck two HUGE needles in my jaw to numb me up, then started slicing and squeezing the ear. The anesthetic did NOTHING, and when I said so, they stabbed me with the two needles again. Still nothing. So they just went ahead, and I could feel everything.

I got a second hematoma a little while ago, despite having been really good about wearing the ear guards all the time. This one was BEHIND my other ear. I think it was actually from my stiff gi collar rubbing against the ear during situps and other warm-up exercises ("Hey, gnarly cauli ear! How'd you get that?!?" "Uh, doing situps.") I just left that one, because it was smaller, and not as visible, and I didn't want a repeat of my April experience. Now I wear the earguards even for warmup exercises.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Quote Originally Posted by kungfoozer View Post
    A lot of mma guys see this condition as a good thing. A trophy. I think it's gross and it makes you look dweeby..

"dweeby"?

???????????????

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn P. View Post
    I got an aural hematoma (blood clot in the folds of skin of the ear, the precurser to cauli ear) in April and another one last month, from jiu jitsu. They occurred from pulling my head repeatedly out of headlocks and other ear-scraping grappling, not from being struck.

See attachment for what a fresh aural hematoma looks like. That's where I had my first one, and it looked exactly like that. It didn't even hurt that much.... my ears had hurt for months every time they were touched, from all the repetitive scraping. One day I got in the car after practice and looked in the rearview, and there it was, big as life and twice as ugly.

If it's fresh, you should have it drained and a compression bandage put on to keep it from filling up again. The older it is, the more difficult it is to drain because the blood clots up. After a certain time frame, the ear is deformed and you can't really do much unless you want to have cosmetic surgery to reshape the ear (and even then it won't be the same).
    please tell me that's not a picture of you....
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

and, in a related note: met a Catch guy that I've heard good things about last night at the local MMA event (which was an ok one, the 175# guy that I've trained with, and gotten submitted by many times, won his fight in :19. Jab-Jab-Uppercut and that was pretty much it) and want to roll with him...thing is, I can't really 'practice/train', but I'm willing to roll till I tap.

He had a shirt on that must have been custom: "The Guard is for Girls"

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    please tell me that's not a picture of you....
    No, my boss complains if I let my beard start to grow out like that.

whew...good. was going to be disturbed a bit if so.

toughen up a little...

Quote Originally Posted by Taryn P. View Post
    I bought some ear guards after the first hematoma in April. I hate those ear guards, but the hematoma was worse. I went to the Urgent Care to have it drained. It was a horrible experience. They stuck two HUGE needles in my jaw to numb me up, then started slicing and squeezing the ear. The anesthetic did NOTHING, and when I said so, they stabbed me with the two needles again. Still nothing. So they just went ahead, and I could feel everything.

I got a second hematoma a little while ago, despite having been really good about wearing the ear guards all the time. This one was BEHIND my other ear. I think it was actually from my stiff gi collar rubbing against the ear during situps and other warm-up exercises ("Hey, gnarly cauli ear! How'd you get that?!?" "Uh, doing situps.") I just left that one, because it was smaller, and not as visible, and I didn't want a repeat of my April experience. Now I wear the earguards even for warmup exercises.

Since when do you need anesthesia to get your ear drained?

I'm a wuss about certain types of pain, I freely admit it. Taking a kick or punch is a different prospect from agreeing to sit there and let someone cut a long slit in your ear with a scalpel, then spend ten minutes squeezing blood clots out of the slice. After the area has already been swollen and painful for some time. It hurt. I didn't like it.