Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do we Practice Forms

Why Do we Practice Forms

What is the Purpose of practicing forms?

How do the forms help us or make us better at doing wing chun, self defence and fighting?
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Blog Entries
    Forms are designed for teaching and learing only. Forms are not designed for training. 2 men drills are designed for training, and solo drills are designed for enhancement.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-03-2010 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post

How do the forms help us or make us better at doing wing chun, self defence and fighting?
    They're used for a few things:

- Developing strength and stability to properly apply the concepts learned

- Points of reference for self-teaching and teaching others, or brushing up. Sometimes we can lose certain things when we take breaks from training, our forms help us gain them back.

- An exhibition of your understanding of the concepts within the system, as well as a personal expression ala shadowboxing.

They are the "text books" for the WCK tools. So by practicing them, you can learn the tools. Sort of like singing the ABC song to learn the ABCs.

People give way too much significance to forms.

Each form contains individual techniques we need to practice and ingrain in our muscle memory. the form is merely a way of putting them together as a sequence in which to contain the essential techniques for the particular prinicipal and concept the form teaches. Remember its not the form that is vital to learn but the individual techniques.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post

People give way too much significance to forms.
    So whats your idea then T???

No forms = No VT fighting!!!!!

What are you going to do just stand there and bore them to death???

GH

Forms are holding all the basic fundamentals of Wing Chun. They're a platform to build upon and for me they serve as the best refinement and maintenance tool.

As I see it today, the forms have become the basis of our curriculum but many fail to see the fact that they are only very basic images on an 'idea' that needs to be worked on and progressed through other training methods.

Self defense and fighting training methods are a separate entity which should support the knowledge and skillsets gained through the forms.

Ultimately, forms are just a small part of the whole but without them we wouldn't be Wing Chun practitioners.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post

GH
    Gu Lao WCK use a san sik (loose sets) format to teach VT. No SNT/CK/BJ. You think they have nothing to offer?

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Gu Lao WCK use a san sik (loose sets) format to teach VT. No SNT/CK/BJ. You think they have nothing to offer?
    Yes. They offer a sansau curriculum.

If you're a student who likes to pick up every technique out there then this approach is good, but without a core understanding of Wing Chun or another Martial Art for that matter all the sansau in the world is a waste of time imho.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by LoneTiger108 View Post
    Yes. They offer a sansau curriculum.

If you're a student who likes to pick up every technique out there then this approach is good, but without a core understanding of Wing Chun or another Martial Art for that matter all the sansau in the world is a waste of time imho.
    San sik is not san sau. Robert or Terence can comment with more authority, but my understanding was each point (dim) taught a principle in WCK.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    San sik is not san sau. Robert or Terence can comment with more authority, but my understanding was each point (dim) taught a principle in WCK.
    Okay, maybe I should have said they 'originate' from sansau. The 'point' methods (yau dim?) are, from what I understand, Leurng Jans retirement teachings which means to me that he reduced his curriculum to exclude the forms. Maybe highlighting the 'key points' with shortened sets. But I too am no authority on such things, so let's hope Robert or T can shed more light on the subject.

FME The sup yee san sik is not regarded as a 'form' either, just a collection of sets that is different from one practitioner to the next.

Do you think that Leurng Jan didn't know SLT, CK or BJ?
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Okay, maybe I should have said they 'originate' from sansau. The 'point' methods (yau dim?) are, from what I understand, Leurng Jans retirement teachings which means to me that he reduced his curriculum to exclude the forms. Maybe highlighting the 'key points' with shortened sets. But I too am no authority on such things, so let's hope Robert or T can shed more light on the subject.

FME The sup yee san sik is not regarded as a 'form' either, just a collection of sets that is different from one practitioner to the next.

Do you think that Leurng Jan didn't know SLT, CK or BJ?
    Of course he did, the living record of his descendants proves this. I don't think his choice to use san sik as the teaching vehicle is inferior in any way to teaching via forms.

Its possible that WCK was originally taught by the san sik method. After all, rather than being a fight with an imaginary opponent, our forms are a series of descreet units of motion....like san sik that have been strung together. So it may be that Leung Jan was simply going back to an older method of teaching the WCK curriculum when he retired to Ku Lo village.

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    They are the "text books" for the WCK tools. So by practicing them, you can learn the tools. Sort of like singing the ABC song to learn the ABCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post

GH

You have to give "T" credit, he's not without good and straight answers some times.

Forms are holding all the basic fundamentals of Wing Chun. They're a platform to build upon and for me they serve as the best refinement and maintenance tool.

As I see it today, the forms have become the basis of our curriculum but many fail to see the fact that they are only very basic images on an 'idea' that needs to be worked on and progressed through other training methods.

Self defense and fighting training methods are a separate entity which should support the knowledge and skillsets gained through the forms.

Ultimately, forms are just a small part of the whole but without them we wouldn't be Wing Chun practitioners.

Quote Originally Posted by wtxs View Post
    You have to give "T" credit, he's not without good and straight answers some times.
    No, apparently he (Graham and others) don't since he/they respond to clear concise answers by asking what the answer is and firing off 'drive-by' attacks worthy of a grade schooler.....

Which any way you slice it's just pure genius.
    Last edited by YungChun; 12-03-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu