Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This will probably start all kinds of fun...

This will probably start all kinds of fun...

...but this guy's a beast!

I'm liking his attitude and approach.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    ...but this guy's a beast!

I'm liking his attitude and approach.
    He is quite the salesman. I am more interested in seeing someone do it rather than telling me how it should be done.

Just a comment.... by some people's replies on the Chasing Hands thread, what Wong is doing in closing with his elbow strikes would be considered "chasing hands" because he is not controlling the opponent's center and balance, and he is not attacking up the center. I don't agree with that, but there it is.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Just a comment.... by some people's replies on the Chasing Hands thread, what Wong is doing in closing with his elbow strikes would be considered "chasing hands" because he is not controlling the opponent's center and balance, and he is not attacking up the center. I don't agree with that, but there it is.
    I can't even pretend to know anything about WC, but I tried that technique out with a gloved partner - and it's pretty freaking devastating even with gloves on. It'd take practice, but it'd work.

So it is a type of "crazy monkey" / "keysi".
    The main issue seems to be the unrealistic distance.
    I don't like the way the elbows are so high, which leaves your torso open, very open the way he does it ( more so than the crazy monkey and Keysi methods).
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I don't like the way the elbows are so high, which leaves your torso open, very open the way he does it ( more so than the crazy monkey and Keysi methods).
    I agree. I'm not a huge fan of limb destructions, especially as an opening move. But if you go there it would seem wiser to work from a boxer's guard with the forearm held vertically. That way you don't leave yourself so open. Especially since your opponent is likely to move just as quickly as you. This is something you don't see in so many demos.
    "No contaban con mi astucia!" --el Chapulin Colorado

http://www.vingtsunaz.com/
    www.nationalvt.com/

Elbow strikes to an incoming punch - because the defense you want to rely upon to protect your face is two high speed objects colliding a few inches in front of your face. After all, they won't miss.

He is timing a boxer's 1-2 and is successful in the video because there is a consistent rhythm to the attack. Change up the rhythm, mix up punches and his success rate goes way down. This is absolutely chasing hands.

I agree with everyone here.
    While he's quite the salesman and a pretty funny guy in his teachign approach, this is a low chance technique at best & surely chasing hands trying to match speed with speed. But he does sell it well
    What chi sau is, or isn't, or is, or wait, what is it..: http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...2&postcount=90

I don't know guys... I'd say he's working with more speed and randomness than most demos I've watched.

I don't know guys... I'd say he's working with more speed and randomness than most demos I've watched.
    I'd say he's working with more "voom, voom, voom" mouth noises than most demos I've watched.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumblegeezer View Post
    I agree. I'm not a huge fan of limb destructions, especially as an opening move. But if you go there it would seem wiser to work from a boxer's guard with the forearm held vertically. That way you don't leave yourself so open. Especially since your opponent is likely to move just as quickly as you. This is something you don't see in so many demos.
    This is actually pretty common in Dan Inosanto's Panantukan and Maphilindo Silat. But the other hand is used somewhat like a Pak Sao to intercept the oncoming punch and actually guide it into the elbow. The elbow strike is directly in front of your face because that' where the attacker would be targeting you. Its not hard to do at all. The attacker can vary his timing and rhythm and it still works. The elbow strikes can be horizontal or vertical. Of course, like anything, if the attacker knows this is what you are going to do he can feint and redirect and really mess with you. It has to be quick and unexpected to work. But it does work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2ruzBksh8I
    Let's look at both videos objectively.

1. He's in a parking lot with a student who just happens to have gloves sitting on top of a car (or already holding him). How "random" is that?

2. They are presenting these questions like they are "off the cuff", but like my point #1, there seems to be a far amount of setup.

3. While the punches in the second video you posted are different, the first video the student comes in with the same 1, 2 punch combo in almost every other video where the student is asking him a 'what if' question. Once you know what punches are being thrown by a compliant partner, and you are not worried about having to connect your punches then you are able to go much, much faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Almost A Ghost View Post
    Let's look at both videos objectively.

1. He's in a parking lot with a student who just happens to have gloves sitting on top of a car (or already holding him). How "random" is that?

2. They are presenting these questions like they are "off the cuff", but like my point #1, there seems to be a far amount of setup.

3. While the punches in the second video you posted are different, the first video the student comes in with the same 1, 2 punch combo in almost every other video where the student is asking him a 'what if' question. Once you know what punches are being thrown by a compliant partner, and you are not worried about having to connect your punches then you are able to go much, much faster.
    I don't think he's trying to disguise the fact that it's a set up Q&A session for the camera. I do think he does a good job showing a dynamic version of Wing Chun.

He's moving, and he's putting it into a context that at least incorporates an element of speed and movement by the attacker.

My only real criticisms of the videos he's putting out are the one's that are for using striking for anti grappling/takedowns, but I'm skeptical of all videos like that.
    Last edited by MightyB; 02-13-2014 at 02:44 PM.

he talks good and knows how to market stuff for sure
    I guess we are who we are

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    So it is a type of "crazy monkey" / "keysi".
    The main issue seems to be the unrealistic distance.
    not speaking about kesyi but that is a lot different from crazy monkey, the whole idea with CM is your hands are already up and covering and moving and you only have to make a small movement which doesnt rely on you having very good speed or reaction times, this is almost like the Filipino gunting or destruction techniques if you have the reaction and timing to make this work then why bother you should be quick enough to slip move and counter