Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RUSSIAN MARTIAL ART "SYSTEMA"

fiercest tiger Guest

RUSSIAN MARTIAL ART "SYSTEMA"

are any of you guys studying this system with vladmir?

how is the training and what does it consist of?

thanks in advance... :D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Rolling Elbow Guest

Fierce..

Didn't we go over this about two months ago?!!! or have you since met up with those two ninjas again but with different results this time?! Perhaps they wiped out a part of your memory or left you punch drunk? ;)

Michael Panzerotti
    Taijutsu Nobody from the Great White North..

fiercest tiger Guest

hey buddy

where ya been?

no those ninjas are now cleaning my toilet at my kwoon. :D

i do remember but still wanting to see if anyone new has done systema lately! hows your going, have you been to vlads school or anything lately?

take care man :)

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

Stranger Guest
    I have only been to one seminar with Vlad, and I enjoyed it very much.

Seminar started with a warm-up. The first set of exercises were designed for use in the field when standing-up and doing 25 jumping jacks is not an option. Vlad described how the relative cold of the ground and long hours spent motionless or barely moving leads to incredible cramping and soreness. When faced with a threat, you must be fairly confident that when you go to pounce on your prey that your legs aren't asleep or won't work. Most of the exercise were dynamic tension. While we were on the ground, he also convered ways of rolling over and turning around rapidly,without raising your profile of the ground. (this was intersting stuff, but admittedly not relevant to most of our lives).
    The next set of exercises were done with a partner and resembled basic circus stunts of balancing a human being on various parts of your body and moving the weight around. This stuff was kind of hard.

We moved on to techniques: Sentry takedowns, double team takedowns, sentry neutralizations, and work against a team of opponents with your advantage being surprise. (once again, this stuff does not apply to most people's reality)

We learned how to abseil.

We had simmunition shootouts in a killhouse.

We practiced throwing the shovel and knife and then practice with them both handheld.

We practiced how to remove somebody from a vehicle and how to avoid having it done to you (carjacking).

We ran a commando-style obstacle course.

We participated in an ambush drill using real moving cars and simulated explosives.

Vlad routinely allowed people to attack in unchoreographed manner, and easily worked through it. He was friendly, approachable, and answered EVERY question asked of him with a solid technical demonstration containing the answer.

Don't buy into the TRS advertising (they overhype all of their products) and don't come expecting jedi mind power demoes. That aside, you will still be pleased. Vlad has talent and he shares it readily.

You might want to look up a guy who posts as "Arthur" on the Neijia froums, he is a Systema teacher with a long background in the internal Chinese martial arts and Chinese medicine.

Ford Prefect Guest
    Stranger's right. Don't buy into all the hype. TRS is responsible for all the advertising. I've trained with the "Arthur" that he mentioned once, which is my only experience with Systema, but I'd have to say that it is a pretty legit system. It's definately geared completely toward real-world situations, and they train realistically as well.

"Who's house?"
    "I said RUN's house."

fiercest tiger Guest

thanks guys

can you tell us abit vlads power, ive only seen the vids, but would like to here from someone that has felt vlads strenght etc.

:D

peace

bakmeimonk@hotmail.com

TaoBoxer Guest

Arthur

I don't know anything about Systema, but Arthur Sennot doesn't have a "Long history in Internal Chinese Arts." As far as I know, he is a Shodan in Judo (albeit VERY talented) and has done a lot of other work in other arts. As for Chinese Medicine, I know he was apprenticing under BJ Wong in Boston, but from what I understand there was a misunderstanding a while back.......

systema-russian martial art

Hey folks!has anyone in here heard of, or train in the russian martial art 'SYSTEMA"?

No why?...

Stranger studies Systema. He would be a good gent to ask questions.
    Regards

Wink

Ahhhh let me add on to that question.I was checking out some systema website's and i think it looks like a pretty cool and unusual art.Just wanted to know if anyone had actually trained or come into contact with the art,how it compare's to wing chun,if they think its effective or just good for overall well being.etc etc.

A friend of mine with about 20 years of KF behind him who got a silver medal in MA fighting in the Police/Fire Olympics spent some time in Toronto and trained with Vladimir Vasiliev. He was very impressed and has incorporated some if it into his own teaching. Very soft and flowing, but really hard and nasty when it wants to be.

I trust his judgement.

I've not seen any Systema but videos myself, but I've been interested in and trained in ROSS, another American based RMA system, for several years.

ROSS at least has some training drills and concepts which IMO have definitely improved my Wing Chun and BJJ and enhanced my understanding of efficient body mechanics.

You could do worse than to check Systema out IMO.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

For more video clips you might also want to check out

www.systemauk.com

We have guys training with us from all types of backgrounds. My own background was 15+ years in Chinese styles. I found I was adding more and more of the system into what I was doing, it eventually made sense just to switch over completely.
    www.systemauk.com
    "Remember it's not a move, it's just a movement" Vasiliev

Actually you should check out Scott's vids, or better yet see him in person. He has excellent martial skills, and while very pleasant and patient, would easily tie you in several knots if you irritated him enough, which in your case I imagine would be a fairly short interval. UFC fighter Elvis Sinosic attended the same seminar as I and was highly complimentary, but of course you the unnamed nobody have far more experience in such matters than he.

What you describe sounds like the offerings of several prominent WC organisations and more than one poster on this board, not to mention some of King Crimson's "deeper" offerings, so I can't see why Scott's stuff would cause you a problem.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

Hello,

Its kind of interesting stuff this Systema. My Russian Sambo friends never heard of that Term/Name before but said the stuff looked ok. The one thing that stuck out the most was that it was nice and soft which shows they have to have a decent understanding of proper mechanics with the body.

Check it out . Cant hurt!

Regards,
    Jim