Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RUSSIAN MARTIAL ART "SYSTEMA"

i definately would like to check out a few classes or seminar.one martial art is enough of a challenge as it is.
    the softness of the art stood out for me too,instead of having a stance it looks like you just turn into a big bowl of jello.

Systema

Anyone here done any cross training in Systema, if so let me know your thoughts, views on this Russian martial art

Only a couple of sessions but it was very interesting, and it helped me understand a couple of things about my primary arts.

They do an interestign exercise where they push slowly into their partner with a closed fist and try to find his centre at the same time as him trying to avoid your finding his centre without assuming any stance at all, and moving his feet as little as possible.

Then you do the same thing faster, until you are punching them full speed. At this point they are practising absorbing (or they often say 'laughing off'!) your strike and issuing it back at them. It hurts. I suppose it's good for conditioning: it's certainly good for accustoming you to taking full on strikes (and no, they don't use armour): and it's good for getting used to shock and improving balance and relaxation under pressure, and hiding your centre of balance.

We used to do an exercise very much like this in wing chun, so we've incorporated this and the wing chun counterpart into our training again recently and so far had relatively favourable results.

I can explain this further if you're interested and a couple of other things we practised but I'm a bit busy right now.

You practised it at all?

Our primary art is Liu He Zi Ran Men but we found an instrutor in Australia who came down and gave a seminar -we found lots of things that were similar in our art - the softness particuly.

As you said they did the exercise when you absorb the punch. It seems to be a really great art with loads of reality training.
    I think the psychological training that they do in realtion to getting hit and dealing with any situation is great. Down the track we are going to incorpotrate a fair bit of it into what we do.
    They do a fair bit of energy work/chi kung as well.

Like you said you can take stuff away from it and apply it to your primary art which is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger
    Our primary art is Liu He Zi Ran Men but we found an instrutor in Australia who came down and gave a seminar -we found lots of things that were similar in our art - the softness particuly.
    Really? Is he located in Melbourne? Is he Russian?
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

No Rockhampton we flew him down for the weekend.

No he is as OZ as you will find.

But he is authorised to teach out here by Vladimir Vasiliev so he's done a fair bit of training.

He's the only one I think in Australia

I took a few classes at various places. Not my cup of tea. I feel like I learned a couple tricks, but I thought my time was better spent elsewhere.

a co worker of mine trains in a systemma offshoot called kadichnokov (sp?)
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Blacktiger
    No Rockhampton we flew him down for the weekend.

No he is as OZ as you will find.

But he is authorised to teach out here by Vladimir Vasiliev so he's done a fair bit of training.

He's the only one I think in Australia
    d.amn. You had me excited for a second. I don't know why there aren't more sambo and systema instructors in australia, both seem to have caused quite a stir in teh MA/self-defence world and i'm sure they''d have no shortage of students.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

Is any one here currently training Systema

This system is taking off all round the world at the moment.

People here harp on about training in no nonsense or reality arts - it astounds me how little it has been discussed here on the forum as well as how few people on the boards have tried or know about it....

I have been blown away by Systema as have the other people I have been training with from a large cross section of arts.

So Im putting the call out:

Have you tried Systema?

Heard of it?

And if so how have you found it and how has it impacted on your Kung Fu?

I had one session. It was good.

We did mainly variations on the drill of being punched and 'rolling' the body to punch back and being punch-pushed into the core and avoiding/going with it.

These were exercises I've done to some extent in wing chun, aiki and tai chi, but these systema guys were very soft and skilled and good at it and could hit hard from any angle.

However, the main guy had a theory about developing a shield of positivity which would keep you from harm, and he smiled too much, including a part of his fighting philosophy which suggested you should smile when you're punched.

I'm not saying that he was a freak: he was a very nice man, and we met on other occasions too. But I'm not prepared to include that level of neo-religious enthusiasm into my practice. Later I saw the bruises on some of those guys from drills like lying on the floor while someone drops heavy poles onto you, or passively accepting pole strikes. Now, maybe it toughens you up (in a soft smiley kind of way of course), but I'd prefer to get bruises in full contact or doing some proactive/reactive drill... or not at all! And ultimately, his shield of positivity didn't stop him breaking his neck in a bicycle accident some months later!  (I heard he got better!).

That one drill we practised did help my understandign and application of the similar wing chun drill though.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Are these the same guys who had some tapes out on Psychic Energy?

I have been training privately in it with a guy called Valerie Riazanov for a few months now

I think there is some amazing things in it and some hoaky things too. Per ST Bruce: absorb what is useful and discard what is useless

Actually IMO the best things are the methods and drills rather than techniques per se

And the punches have to be felt to be believed

I also have been surprised that it is not discussed more on here

Personally dislike the religeous aspect

Could say more but wont.......yet
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

From what little I have seen, some very good concepts, with the downside that at times it seems the concepts don't "pan out" into realistic drills or technique. Also, at times some of the psychic powers/elite KGB training/lost Soviet secrets stuff is a bit much
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I hope it is better in person that what they show on their demo videos... because those are pure B.S.