Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RUSSIAN MARTIAL ART "SYSTEMA"

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    I
    Even if you find some of the Systema physical training to be worth your time there is always the rumour about them trying to get students to become indoctrinated in the Russian Church.......
    Dont know where you got that info but have not experienced anything close to that at all.

Maybe try a class or 7 and then make up your mind

Psychological..............??

Really?

I have a major in Psychology and I must of been sick the day that lecture was taught?

Lets see if this video link works. Heh

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...6842&q=systema

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...7725&q=systema
    Well you can get information from a 22 second clip Or from the 90 minute film. Or from talking to Mikhail himself. Which do you think would be more accurate?
    www.systemauk.com
    "Remember it's not a move, it's just a movement" Vasiliev

Systema......

Systema

As I have no experience in this, I'm curious.....Anyone ever studied Systema?

How valid (complete) is it , what kind of a workout is it, and is it similar to any

other martial arts? Which ones, and in what way?

Thanks

QD

Systema is as functional an any system out there!
    It is more within the "internal martial arts" regarding using the others impetus for your own and downing the opponent.

A lot psychobabel mishmash, mythos and total bullsh!t in Systema.

Buyer beware.

The guys I know that do Systema are very tough fighters.

One of Systema's strengths is that they can withstand inordinate amounts of damage. They also have a freeflowing thinking that allows them to improvise moves. In that sense, they're pretty much identical to old Taoist combative kung fu that's little known today.

Systema is a very destructive system that knows how to hurt people.

Oh yeah, there is a lot psychobabel mishmash, mythos and total bullsh!t in Systema. But it is fun to watch and do, but it doesn't fully match what I've seen in some other combative systems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDQ_A...eature=related
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

The guys I know that do Systema are very tough fighters
    How are you even judging this? What criteria?

One of Systema's strengths is that they can withstand inordinate amounts of damage.
    Christ, I thought the day's of these types of posts were done. No they cannot withstand inordinate amounts of damage. Get past the black belt magazine marketing and use adult logic.

Not trying to bag on you to hard but man think about it....

Systema is a very destructive system that knows how to hurt people.
    Save your money if the above statement is what you are looking for. People who actually trade hands in a realistic fashion.

If you want a real combative Russian system without the cult then find a good Combat Sambo Spentsnaz or even Sport Sambo.

Oh yeah, there is a lot psychobabel mishmash, mythos and total bullsh!t in Systema. But it is fun to watch and do, but it doesn't fully match what I've seen in some other combative systems.
    Rogue,

It may be fun to do and watch, hell TKD is fun to do and watch, and is in my view a hell of a lot more effective and straightforward than Systema, but it is not a true close combat system.

It is a fraud.

Can you get some good things from it, sure, of course, you can also pick up EXCELLENT tips on how to fight from football but Systema has some bad mojo hiding behind it.
    Last edited by Black Jack II; 08-22-2008 at 07:16 PM.

Rogue,

It may be fun to do and watch, hell TKD is fun to do and watch, and is in my view a hell of a lot more effective and straightforward than Systema, but it is not a true close combat system.

It is a fraud.

Can you get some good things from it, sure, of course, you can also pick up EXCELLENT tips on how to fight from football but Systema has some bad mojo hiding behind it.
    What, you don't believe you can make someone happy by punching him a certain way or shoot your psychic energy?
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzGD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRnQS...eature=related

if this is systema punching i'm willing to bet the whole system is flawed.

they actually advocate using just your arm while punching instead of putting your body into it as a method of power generation

anyone with a basic knowledge of physics could tell you otherwise
    Last edited by golden arhat; 08-22-2008 at 11:01 PM.
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Qi_Dog View Post
    Systema

As I have no experience in this, I'm curious.....Anyone ever studied Systema?

How valid (complete) is it , what kind of a workout is it, and is it similar to any

other martial arts? Which ones, and in what way?

Thanks

QD
    Systema is cool the ground stuff eats the bjj stuff for breakfast and its a good system - lots of knife ,gun disarms etc with emphasis on freedom of movement in a relaxed fashion...you learn falls, rolls etc etc with weapons and without.

Its reality based training so in other words no messing round!!

Its combative and really its its own thing.

But dont take my word for it go and try it out. Im sure alot of the feed back you have had from people so far has been based on a quick look on youtube rather than actually taking a class and getting an idea....quite a big difference.

If you want an art that works in the realm of reality you will enjoy it!

If you really want the mustard you need to go to Canada and train with Vlad he is the man to see - friend of mine a few months ago went a did a 3 month stint with him and said it was unreal. They train on hardwood floors- no mats and really push your limits. Just google systema canada and Vlad and you should be able to find him they may even be abne to refer you to someone closer to you....

He said it was very interesting to see a variety of people from different styles there who had alot of their ideas on what works and what does not crushed - some could handle it and some could not. They will do stuff like drop a huge heavy russian dude on your head and sit on you with full body weight and then say right - what are you gonna do now!!

I took it for a short time- loved it but the travel and time was an issue but would love to get back in at some stage!!!

But go and look for your own sake dont base a decision on what someone else thinks -they may not have any clue at all

Its reality based training so in other words no messing round!
    LMAO.

Whose reality.

Its combative and really its its own thing.
    Labels will be labels but it is not a close combat system.

But dont take my word for it go and try it out. Im sure alot of the feed back you have had from people so far has been based on a quick look on youtube rather than actually taking a class and getting an idea....quite a big difference.
    I met a number of Systema cats from up North while training with Guru Tim Murray in St. Charles in his arnis jujitsu system. Plus a few others since I am a fan of all things Occidental in combatives. Let's just say I was never impressed. But you are right about one thing, don't take my word or his, go and see if you dig it.

Just be careful of the time you invest, your wallet, dogmatic conversion and psychic bull**** artists.

What, you don't believe you can make someone happy by punching him a certain way or shoot your psychic energy?
    LOL. The junk stupid people fall for.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tzGD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRnQS...eature=related

if this is systema punching i'm willing to bet the whole system is flawed.

they actually advocate using just your arm while punching instead of putting your body into it as a method of power generation

anyone with a basic knowledge of physics could tell you otherwise
    That's some funny sheet, but what they are advocating is relaxed striking which is nothing unique to Systema. There's also enough nonsense added by Ryabko that would even make George Dillman blush.

DM

Well so much method of do punching

the old karate ,boxing and hard style kung fu using the waist...boxing also (using the power coming from the ground)

internal use the whole body like the hsing i beng chuan.....

some hakka style used the dip gwuat or the rib power....pak mei ,southern mantis

some used the reverse motion of the waist for punch or shaking power(southern white crane and some pakua)

now you see the systema punch ...take a look ....the path of the punch from the origin to the impact to targetforget about pressure point see that like target area.....

Whats the travel of the Punch?????????Question for you

Whats about the third theory of Newton "Every action has an equal and opposite reaction." and the mass collision....

Steeve
    Last edited by Steeeve; 08-23-2008 at 03:45 PM.