Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: RUSSIAN MARTIAL ART "SYSTEMA"

That's some funny sheet, but what they are advocating is relaxed striking which is nothing unique to Systema.
    Personally Rogue, and this may be another topic but I have never bought into these systems that push across a modality of "relaxed striking."

I find a lot of it to be a mound of horse dung from even the most ground floor level of logic.

Why....your very own body will often not let you respond with relaxed striking, and no secret squirrel fake Cossack history "soft-style" or "flow" training will allow you to rewire your hypothalamus gland to not release adrenaline and noradrenaline from the adrenal medulla into the bloodstream.

As you well know, and I am just typing to type here, when you fight or get into a scruff, you will be tense, your heart rate is going to go up, your going to get an increase in respiration, your blood pressure gets wacky, blood is pulled away from surface vessels to be pumped into muscles, which in turn, depending on one's world of mental and physical experience, leads to a general lose of fine motor skills and often the shakes because of the glucose which is released by the liver.

This is just a part of the physical side, the psychological side is just as bad if not worse, if one is not training under a solid enough stressor.

Not being preachy but just talking old chum

I am all for training relaxed and whipping power strikes, such as a gross motor cupped hand blow or slap, but what Systema does is just not that but a whole, relaxed approach that goes beyond.

Lets not even get into the no-touch bulldunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    As you well know, and I am just typing to type here, when you fight or get into a scruff, you will be tense, your heart rate is going to go up, your going to get an increase in respiration, your blood pressure gets wacky, blood is pulled away from surface vessels to be pumped into muscles, which in turn, depending on one's world of mental and physical experience, leads to a general lose of fine motor skills and often the shakes because of the glucose which is released by the liver.
    But all of that doesn't happen right away, not all of it works against you and some of it never happens. The shakes usually come after. A lot of what we've been thinking happens really doesn't and if it did nobody would survive any kind of attack.

Why....your very own body will often not let you respond with relaxed striking, and no secret squirrel fake Cossack history "soft-style" or "flow" training will allow you to rewire your hypothalamus gland to not release adrenaline and noradrenaline from the adrenal medulla into the bloodstream.
    Yes it will and usually in those first few seconds. When I say relaxed I'm not talking about soft-style but not being hard ala' much karate.

Good to talk with you again BJ.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

But all of that doesn't happen right away, not all of it works against you and some of it never happens. The shakes usually come after.
    Very true. It depends on your intrinsic mindset, coherency of life's experiences, how you are physically wired, and the timing and kind of violent situation at hand.

Sooooo many armchair scenario's to compute

But the end result is often fear to some degree, mine and your reptilian brain were taught to do two simply things, either to fight or haul feet. When it is fight time, some people have a serious lose of fine motor movement because the old noggin does not get the same volume of blood that is needed to normally operate on different levels for cognitive reasoning and the end result in this process for a massive amount of normal people is the lose of motor coordination and a whole bunch of tunnel vision.

Heck, I remember one time pretty vividly where I got into a scratch and I seemed to loose my ability to hear that well

All I am saying is that progressive resistance training in martial arts done the correct way can help to gain some practical experience for people to feel the effects of adrenaline. I just don't think a over-focused view on "wave-form" or "soft-work" training is the way to go.

Ryabko Systema is just one type, there are others. If any of you question how hard they can hit, go to a class with a good teacher and ask him to hit you, they love to take and give hits. I am not a Systema worshiper, but some of what they do is way ahead of the curve in learning to adapt to changing situations, and in taking shots. Again, this is easily verifiable in person. Judging the efficacy of a System off of contact with some of its students is not my chosen method of verifying what that system has to offer. To each their own though.
    -Golden Arms-

Thank god for youtube. LMAO. Watch these. Just two of MANY showcasing this nonsense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvF17Wd4Fz4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkfJoOsldEg

Keeping in mind that I'm not taking sides in this since I can't view the videos from my present computer I just want to contribute this little tidbit:

With, I'm sure, at least half of the dumb-as-sh!t martial arts videos on Youtube somebody thought they were awesome.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

With, I'm sure, at least half of the dumb-as-sh!t martial arts videos on Youtube somebody thought they were awesome
    LOL!

Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Arms View Post
    Judging the efficacy of a System off of contact with some of its students is not my chosen method of verifying what that system has to offer.
    It really should be and students are always a good indicator about a style and the instructors.

Nice vids BJ. I used to think Systema was great but these days it's falling into the same category as the chi-shooters and fluffy Aikido.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

I used to think Systema was great
    I thought it would be the bomb to, but so many things about it are not my bag, I just put my two cents in

Really, if you want to take a look at Russian systems, their are others besides Sambo and Systema, but Sambo really is excellent and their are different formats of it, from military to police and sport.

The great thing is they all have the sport context.

I think if Vlad was the only representative it'd be OK, but some of these other guys are nuts.

DM

Systema is drunken techniques?

My former instructor downloaded systema videos from youtube,copied the movements,and presented it as "drunken techniques".Then all the students thought they were getting something "new".But I have not found anything suggesting that systema is related to the drunken system.Of course this instructor did not say "I got this from the internet",he just leads his students to believe that he always knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Jack II View Post
    How are you even judging this? What criteria?
    Kevin Huang needs no criteria, he is teh 1337 d34d1y n1nj4.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.

[QUOTE

they actually advocate using just your arm while punching instead of putting your body into it as a method of power generation

anyone with a basic knowledge of physics could tell you otherwise[/QUOTE]

the way i have seen it explained is that a human arm is around 15lbs. hit someone with a 15lb lump of wood/rubber etc and there would be no problem in causing some serious damage.

all martial arts have their frauds. Systema is one of them. if you want an understanding of the human psyche in relation to 'chi blasts' etc. then watch Derren Brown's show 'The Heist' it will all become very clear, very quickly

Ryabko was a Special Forces Op. and it would be fair to say that he will know how to handle himself. Val Riazanov is a heavyweight boxer and a judo blackbelt - he also is a 'master' of systema. i think the issue is that systema principles are taught in a weekend workshop then the participants then go on to teach

My daughter has just learnt to bumshuffle around a room two weeks ago, funnily enough i havent sent her out to teach other children how to move....

think about it.

TRUE systema seems pretty authentic to me.

All I will say is:

Go and see Vlad in Canada -take a class and see how hard they hit.

They like fresh meat

Canada is a big place, what city is this Vlad guy in?
    Simon McNeil