Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Training for Speed

This has to be Frost's best post ever.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    In MMA we train it a slightly differently we use short sets of either direct or indirect drills with long rests between sets, we also use reaction drills on the pads and read react explode drills in the clinch.

Becoming faster/ more explosive comes down to two things. First, the nervous system must be developed to contract the maximum amount of muscle as rapidly as possible and the connective tissues must be trained to use elastic energy effectively. This will result in stronger, more explosive muscular contractions. Second, the energy producing properties of the neuromuscular system must be developed to fuel these explosive contractions using the alactic energy system to the maximum of its ability.

The alactic energy system also known as the creatine system or the ATC-PC system, is the most powerful of the three energy systems – though this also means it also has the shortest duration as well., so to properly train it you need to keep your sets short and allow full recovery. First strength levels and explosive strength must be increased, we do this by lifting heavy weights and striving to move them as quickly as possible Once we have increased our strength levels (always trying to move the weights as fast as possible) we then work on the CNS ability to respond using short sets with long rests using either indirect drills: sprints, squat jumps, bounds, box jumps, cleans, snatches throws, BW push ups, medicine ball passes and slams, or direct drills: hitting the pads, the bags, drilling takedowns or throws etc

The key is very short sets, long rest periods to fully recover, and use correct technique at all times, we are working on speed/explosiveness NOT explosive endurance and the methods used need to reflect this

In my TCMA days we used iron rings, poles, f aging work against various objects, seeing how many punches we could throw in a certain time period etc
    This.
    I would only add that many make the mistake of, when working for speed, to compromise follow-through.
    Don't. All the speed in the world is irrelevant if you can't do enough damage.
    The other thing is to understand the difference between the different TYPES of speed:
    Acceleration ( going from 0 -100 )
    Deceleration ( the follow-through issue)
    Quickness.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

ALOT of talk in this thread about getting fast, moving fast through techniques or srtikes. But nothing about speeding up reaction time:

we also use reaction drills on the pads and read react explode drills in the clinch.
    This is what its all about...Reaction. Speed on the attack side comes *simply* with practice of the offense. Building a strong, fast defense through reaction drills is not so trivial, and it takes a lot of work. Once the pad work in MMA goes random, it gets pretty decent, as long as the coach can throw attacks at random as often as he puts the pad up for his students to hit it...

I hear ya plum, we train alot on reading the "Yi" of our partner. this is quite difficult but neccessary if you want to stop reacting to the reaction and react before the action. though Yi training is high level traing to say the least
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Reaction training: We do drills in which defender's job is to match footwork to attackers. Then to tap various strikes. Goal is to learn to see attacks before they come, by movement of hip/shoulder/foot... not sure if this is "Yi" training. probably, but maybe 'Yi' is more internal??? Also do randomized pad work. Toss sandbags for hand reactions.
    Raw Speed: Jumping squats, clapping push-ups, sprints, (jump)kick combos as fast as possible, do any skill as fast as possible (without destroying form)...

Reaction training has it's place, but all the reaction in the world won't help you if you are slower than molassus.
    Personally I have never been a huge fan of reaction training myself, I have noticed a bad tendancy by some to be "reactive" rather than "active" because of it.

Kind of going off what Ronin said, speed is great but if you sacrifice power and commitment it defeats the purpose.

You can train combinations and make them both fast and powerful through the natural course of doing them technically correct and working your speed up as you feel comfortable.

When teaching a jab, it is different in boxing as opposed to martial arts and kicking styles because in boxing you can plant the front leg with most of your weight and get the speed and power you desire from the stability of the front leg.

Much harder to do when someone is kicking that supporting leg you have, so you adapt and plant momentarily until the jab is finished than return to a looser stance to check kicks with.

Both these methods produce a fast, sharp jab if done correctly. Also note that speed and power are inclusive with one another, not seperate.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

what frost is talking about sounds very similar to tabatas.

short duration, high intensity, long time off.

tabatas are a once a week thing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    what frost is talking about sounds very similar to tabatas.

short duration, high intensity, long time off.

tabatas are a once a week thing.
    Actually tabatas are a world apart from explosive training they are at the polar end from what you are trying to achieve (if anything true speed training is draining on the CNS system and effects the alactic system and tabatas probably the lactic system and maybe the aerobic stsyem.... maybe….depending on how you do it…..(don’t get me started on that protocol again it could take a few threads lol and Ronin will shake his head !)

Actually tabatas are a world apart from explosive training they are at the polar end from what you are trying to achieve (if anything true speed training is draining on the CNS system and effects the alactic system and tabatas probably the lactic system and maybe the aerobic stsyem.... maybe….depending on how you do it…..(don’t get me started on that protocol again it could take a few threads lol and Ronin will shake his head !)
    LMAO !
    In this case I agree with you.
    If you wanna train for speed, train the way the fasted athletes in the world train.

wait, so you aren't talking about high intensity interval training then.

Which is what tabata training is.

It read like you were talking about high intensity, intervals at low frequency.

Did I read your paragraph wrong?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    speed is great but if you sacrifice power and commitment it defeats the purpose.
    Not if you use speed to set up your next move. After 3 powerful punches, you can use 30% of your power on your 4th punch, your opponent will react exactly the same way as your 1st 3 punches (he may still assume it's a 100% powerful punch). This will give you chance to fast switch into your next move since you only commit 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    wait, so you aren't talking about high intensity interval training then.

Which is what tabata training is.

It read like you were talking about high intensity, intervals at low frequency.

Did I read your paragraph wrong?
    nope i am not and yes you did but not to worry

tabatas protocal calls for 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest, done for 8 sets

what i talked about was at maximum 10 seconds of work, with 3 to 5 minutes rest between each set, i e complete rest that is nothing like tabata

the effects on the bodies energy systems of the above are as different as night and day, what they try to is also different as night and day, one is looking to increase VO2 max and the other increase alactic power
    Last edited by Frost; 11-19-2010 at 11:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    This has to be Frost's best post ever.
    is that a compliment (he asks suspiciously)...

nope i am not and yes you did but not to worry

tabatas protocal calls for 20 seconds on 10 seconds rest, done for 8 sets

what i talked about was at maximum 10 seconds of work, with 3 to 5 minutes rest between each set, i e complete rest that is nothing like tabata

the effects on the bodies energy systems of the above are as different as night and day, what they try to is also different as night and day, one is looking to increase VO2 max and the other increase alactic power
    Its like a powerlifter protocol, because you are taxing your bodies muscles and CNC to the max for the given time ( 3 reps for example) you need full recover before the next set, typically 3-5 min.