Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The MMA Fad

The MMA Fad

I think thing have gotten a little out of hand here. MMA we all know is a great sport and has taught us all some valuable lessons. But let's all get a grip on reality here. All the people who go to commercial schools,have a day job,are over 35,majority of females,senior citizens,don't want to train in or compete in MMA or full contact. But according to some here they are wasting their time, and should quit doing froms, and fight full contact in the ring hit pads only, do hard contact sparring regularly.

First off all the people who train in martial arts for health and fitness,should what quit doing what they are doing and fight full contact? All the old ladys in the park doing tai Chi shuold stop wasting their time and get on the mat. Put on some 12 oz gloves and do hard contact. And all the 9 year olds doing kata, should stop that **** and have some mma bouts,their parents will be so proud.

I have been living in china close to 5 years now, and i will tell you almost no kung fu people here fight or spar, unless they are professionals. They don't have the time or need for it here. there are very few violent crimes here and people aren't physically aggressive here. Ok but america is a different story, there is crime and people do fight. So what to do.

What about people who want to learn self defence? Well not only people from 20 to 35 who are top notch athletes want to be able to protect themselfs from a violent criminal. So what then? Well all martial artist should do some sparring, in my opinion at least. to what level of intesity is up for debate. So what to do then.Well one they can get in the best shape possible for their age and body types. Do some contact training and learn those useless techniques people keep talking about. Weapons,vital area strikes,dirty fighting are valuable for the street. How do i know? Cause I have used them,and guess what ,I also do sports Judo and shuai jiao. Train in and compete.

Steven K Hayes the Ninja guy once said "not everyone can be an athlete ,but everyone can learn how to defend themselves".and also people who want to do exercise,have the right to. And then there is the point of just doing what you like to do. Unless you are Hilter reincarnated,leading us to a new world order,who give a f45k if you think all people should quit doing froms and train your way.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 10-17-2010 at 09:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz cool c View Post
    I think thing have gotten a little out of hand here. MMA we all know is a great sport and has taught us all some valuable lessons. But let's all get a grip on reality here. All the people who go to commercial schools,have a day job,are over 35,majority of females,senior citizens,don't want to train in or compete in MMA or full contact. But according to some here they are wasting their time, and should quit doing froms, and fight full contact in the ring hit pads only, do hard contact sparring regularly.
    Nobody said they are wasting their time or should stop doing what they are doing. Just don't claim they are fighters or "learning self-defense".

Weapons,vital area strikes,dirty fighting are valuable for the street. How do i know? Cause I have used them,and guess what ,I also do sports Judo and shuai jiao. Train in and compete..
    Can someone use "dirty fighting" on the street. Sure, but it won't help them to "train" it because training is worthless without training the delivery system and you can't train the delivery system by "pretending" to use foul tactics.

I have two distinct memories of people trying to do "dirty stuff" to me in BJJ training

In instance, a guy who had just come into the gym tried to gouge my eyes. All I had to do was put him in an arm lock which, in the street, I could have used to "break" his arm

The second time, someone tried a phoenix eye to a pressure point. No, I kid you not. I put him in a triangle and put him to sleep. In the street, his mildly annoying pain would not have stopped me either ... and once he was out cold what do you think I could have done?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Blog Entries
    I have been living in china close to 5 years now, and i will tell you almost no kung fu people here fight or spar, unless they are professionals.
    I have met many Taiji guys in Calif. The moment that I mentioned the word "application", they all looked at me like I came from another planet. IMO, CMA guys who care about combat are the minority. If we don't allow this minority voice to be heard, people will think CMA will have nothing to do with combat which is not good.

If we take away the combat and only concentrate on the health, performance, and spiritual development then the CMA training will be very boring. We can run for health, dance with stars for performance, and go to church for spiritual development. Of course we can buy a hand gun for combat. Since we may not be able to carry firearm 24/7, some combat skill will still come in handy if needed.

Hope this is not another "just read and move along (no response will be allowed)" type of thread.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 10-17-2010 at 10:44 PM.

TCMA is MARTIAL ARTS. It was always meant for FIGHTING

Anyone who doubts this, please read Kennedy's fine books on training manuals and the Jing Wu. He tells it like it is (and was)

People who just want health can go to aerobics. If they want "cool" fitness with foreign flovor, do yoga or even just Chi Kung

Saying you do kung fu just to be healthy is a giant excuse, and you are missing the entire point really
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    I have two distinct memories of people trying to do "dirty stuff" to me in BJJ training

In instance, a guy who had just come into the gym tried to gouge my eyes. All I had to do was put him in an arm lock which, in the street, I could have used to "break" his arm

The second time, someone tried a phoenix eye to a pressure point. No, I kid you not. I put him in a triangle and put him to sleep. In the street, his mildly annoying pain would not have stopped me either ... and once he was out cold what do you think I could have done?
    My vision is clear:
    You and Chuck Norris on the same T-Shirt!!
    You in front of course.
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    If we take away the combat and only concentrate on the health, performance, and spiritual development then the CMA training will be very boring. We can run for health, dance with stars for performance, and go to church for spiritual development. Of course we can buy a hand gun for combat. Since we may not be able to carry firearm 24/7, some combat skill will still come in handy if needed.

Hope this is not another "just read and move along (no response will be allowed)" type of thread.
    A very good point you've made. So we all gather to discuss martial art but in the end it all gets reduced to "my c0ck is the biggest and by the way would you like to see my balls?" the most obnoxious ones want to charge for you to "take the peek" once they have your attention....
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

Blog Entries
    I have been living in china close to 5 years now, and i will tell you almost no kung fu people here fight or spar, unless they are professionals.
    I can already see the problem there. Let's take Taiji "双搂(Shuang Lou) - double pulling" as example. In CMC's form, he did with both palms facing downward. When you move your arms to your left, you can do with:

- both palms face down,
    - both palms face up,
    - left palm face up, right palm face down,
    - left palm face down, left palm face up.

Which way will be the right way. Unfortunately there is only 1 right way and all the other 3 ways are wrong.

If people donot understand the combat application, the form will be changed beyond recongition 100 years from now. Combat application is the only way that can maintain the integrate of CMA forms for the future generation.

I think thing have gotten a little out of hand here. MMA we all know is a great sport and has taught us all some valuable lessons. But let's all get a grip on reality here. All the people who go to commercial schools,have a day job,are over 35,majority of females,senior citizens
    all these people need to leave kung fu alone and fuk off. go do square dancing or power yoga or nia. kung fu teachers need to stop catering to those people.

I have been living in china close to 5 years now, and i will tell you almost no kung fu people here fight or spar.
    the rich people that can afford leisure and hobbies like kugn fu in cities of course they dont spar. espcially ones that like to hang near foreigners.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-18-2010 at 12:13 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    all these people need to leave kung fu alone and fuk off. go do square dancing or power yoga or nia. kung fu teachers need to stop catering to those people.

the rich people that can afford leisure and hobbies like kugn fu in cities of course they dont spar. espcially ones that like to hang near foreigners.
    true what you said about the rich have the time, but only one of the three teachers i have had teach foreigners, the other kung fu teacher has no foreigner
    students,and that area has very few foreigners. and the shuai jiao guys i trained with in beijing never had foreigners train with them except me. If you ever get a chance to train in beijing shuai jiao,just ask the teachers if they know a foreigner named hu ke [my chinese name] one of them should remeber me.

And all you guys need to learn how to read. I never said take the fighting out of kung fu,tough guys. But if a house wife that is 40 wants to do martial arts,she can only do full contact mma, and should must compete in full contact comps too. and all the kid that go to martial arts school,only full contact mma from now . really guys grow up.

And I don't care about you guys I love forms. I use them as a form of cardio and since I have been doing hung chuan recently also a part of my resitence training.I think it is working well too,cause two weeks ago i spared with a judo black belt of equal size and about 18 years younger and got the best of him and he was winded. then went straight to a much taller white belt and toosed him around,he was aslo the same age.I will compete in hong kong soon in a judo comp,see how my traditional strenght and wind work does then.
    Last edited by wiz cool c; 10-18-2010 at 04:51 AM.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    And I don't care about you guys I love forms. I use them as a form of cardio and since I have been doing hung chuan recently also a part of my resitence training
    that's fine as long as your not promoting them as the "deadly" and comparing them to actual fighting.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

I think some of you mma guys are just whining. lol

"just don't call it this or that"

what a load.

People can market what they are selling however they like and who cares what you do or what you think.

If the only way you can attract people to you thing is to put down someone else's thing, then I think it's self evident that you are not putting enough effort and energy into your thing.

not to mention all the bs "99% do this" blanket staement nonsense, or the equally ridiculous "mma is superior".

blowhards is what you are and blowhards are what you are seen as. You have little credibility is the bottom line when it comes down to it. Really, just stick to your own thing.

I find that a guillotine is a good move and It's worked for me twice in bad situations. Does that make me into mma? Because I found it inside the kungfu system I learned.

Is that bad when Kung fu works, Nobody is saying all this stuff you guys are making up except for the forum deluded ones.

I don't care about your sparring and rolling. I'm glad you enjoy it. Please feel free to go and enjoy it. thanks.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    "just don't call it this or that"

what a load.

People can market what they are selling however they like and who cares what you do or what you think.
    so you believe forms are "the deadly" and harkin to actual fighting in a resistant environment?

and what do i care... well, the fact people promote crap that will get someone killed well, just call it my sentimental side.

As I stated above forms are fine and dandy if you understand they are NOT FIGHTHING.
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonzbane76 View Post
    so you believe forms are "the deadly" and harkin to actual fighting in a resistant environment?

and what do i care... well, the fact people promote crap that will get someone killed well, just call it my sentimental side.

As I stated above forms are fine and dandy if you understand they are NOT FIGHTHING.
    In all due fairness, a lot of resisted sparring by anyone without some significant experience typically looks like two monkeys flailing at one another.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"