Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking the boxers clinch

Breaking the boxers clinch

Because apparently we can't get enough threads about clinching. lol

So, a boxers clinch is slightly different from an MT clinch in that you don't have to think about knees. You have to think more about hooks and uppercuts.

what's you're preferred work in this range? push out? body shots? hooks? uc's?

here's the basics: http://how-to-box.com/content/boxing-tip-11-clinching

...also, in boxing clinching is a rest play quite often and that's why it's not allowed to be held for too long unless stuff is happening while in the clinch, ie: shots being thrown.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 11-22-2010 at 08:24 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Push out and low kick (teep - no shadow kick, etc), while the pushing arms are tying up the opponent.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

The best way to break up the boxer's clinch is to let the ref break it up. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfoozer View Post
    The best way to break up the boxer's clinch is to let the ref break it up. Seriously.
    lol. weak.

the clinch is a great place to rest or to do some body work.

If you want to break, you can shove out or twist out (push/spin)
    If you want to stay, you have to get to work because if you are doing that, teh ref will NOT break it up.

So, if you are the guy who wants out, and the other guy is busy, and the ref ain't break in it cause you're busy in there, what then? Let the ref? hahahaha.

you get serious, now go learn something other than how to turn your tv on and watch goofbag Josh be a d-bag that rivals jersey shore.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    Push out and low kick (teep - no shadow kick, etc), while the pushing arms are tying up the opponent.
    yeah a shove out is good, as he's a boxer, like any sweeping or cutting or shoveling you do at the leg will have good effect.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Because apparently we can't get enough threads about clinching.
    The only time that you need to break a clinch is in Judo or sport SC environment (gi environment). When your opponent has a pair of monster grip and use his stiff arms to prevent you from moving. Other then that, I don't see any reason to break clinch. You will love to be there if throwing is your strong point but not for your opponent.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-22-2010 at 02:27 PM.

youknowwho
    I find that when faced with a super strong guys, softening techniques work really well. some I use are not for sport but you can use your imagination when it comes to softening your opponent up
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The only time that you need to break a clinch is in Judo or sport SC environment (gi environment). When your opponent has a pair of monster grip and use his stiff arms to prevbent you from moving. Other then that, I don't see any reason to break clinch. You will love to be there if throwing is not your opponent's strong point.
    if my opponents neck is my rubber toy, then it is highly likely, he doesn't want to be there and when I see the elbows coming together when my neck is snagged, i push away and punch out as quick as I can.

so, with a boxer, you can be sure to push out ok and fairly quick.

in a situation where fingers can be locked and elbows pressed together, now it's getting a little tricky. Punching out can fail if percussive push/pull is used.

if it's a jacket grab clinch, hands up, turn the waist, push out or punch out. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    youknowwho
    I find that when faced with a super strong guys, softening techniques work really well. some I use are not for sport but you can use your imagination when it comes to softening your opponent up
    You are right! The idea is:

- If your opponent wants to straight his arm, you help him to straight some more.
    - If your opponent wants to bend his arm, you help him to bend some more.
    - His contact points will be your "free" contact points if you know how to take advantage on it.

There are so many skills used to deal with the clinching situation. You can almost write a book about it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tearing (SI), Cracking (BENG), Striking push (TONG), Hand pushing

(TUN), Elbow pressing (ZHOU) 撕崩捅褪肘

Covering hands (GAI), Pulling hands (LUO), Body-shaking hands

(YAO), Reverse arm-holding (DAO), Shaking (DOU) 蓋攞搖捯抖

Separate hands (FEN), Hand clamping (YE), Arm guiding (YIN), Arm

raising (PENG), Elbow Locking (JIA) 分掖引捧架

Under hook (QUAN), Over hook (CHAO), Wiping (MO), Head circling

(PIAN), Clamping head (JIA) 圈抄抹偏夾

Helmet taking (ZAI), Face covering (WU), Forehead push (SU),

Sticking drop (ZHUI), Leg seizing (LAO) 摘摀速墬撈

Neck surrounding (HUAN), Chin pushing (TUO), Throat/waist

blocking (FENG), Casting (SA), Floating hand (PIAO) 環托封撒飄
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-22-2010 at 02:41 PM.

lol. weak.

the clinch is a great place to rest or to do some body work.

If you want to break, you can shove out or twist out (push/spin)
    If you want to stay, you have to get to work because if you are doing that, teh ref will NOT break it up.

So, if you are the guy who wants out, and the other guy is busy, and the ref ain't break in it cause you're busy in there, what then? Let the ref? hahahaha.

you get serious, now go learn something other than how to turn your tv on and watch goofbag Josh be a d-bag that rivals jersey shore.
    Unless you are going to boxing match tomorrow(which I doubt you are) it does not matter. Think about that on your jog to Dunken Donuts.

the secret is bil jee. its all in the bil jee

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the secret is bil jee. its all in the bil jee
    No. The secret is in three step arrow. And then more secrets in 36 point form. If I show anyone the real version of 36 point my sifu will destroy my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfoozer View Post
    Unless you are going to boxing match tomorrow(which I doubt you are) it does not matter. Think about that on your jog to Dunken Donuts.
    wednesday is training night actually. we don't have a dunkin donuts here. so i doubt i'll be there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The only time that you need to break a clinch is in Judo or sport SC environment (gi environment). When your opponent has a pair of monster grip and use his stiff arms to prevent you from moving. Other then that, I don't see any reason to break clinch. You will love to be there if throwing is your strong point but not for your opponent.
    spoken by the Chin na expert.....I never would have guessed....

We're talking about when somebody like YOU grabs us!
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng

yeah a shove out is good, as he's a boxer, like any sweeping or cutting or shoveling you do at the leg will have good effect.
    Even a kicker, you can't kick as well back peddling as you can charging.
    Too many people shove and then stand there, without taking the advantage, basically 'resetting'. I don't like that in a fighter.
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng