Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WCK rotation isn't like boxing

OK, I guess we have split that hair about as fine as it can go.

Its just too often you get people here posting stuff about boxers do this and grapplers do that when they don't have a clue about what they are posting. It leads to a certain level of frustration.
    Mike

To me its about the weight transfer from foot to foot in boxing that enables the boxer to generate a lot of power without his shoulders-hips perfectly aligned (aka WC).
    In a right cross for example, a boxer is transferring weight from his back foot onto his front foot.... putting weight in motion to say... the power is created within the movement of back foot to front foot.
    Whilst he'd probably prefer perfect shoulder-hip, its not as fundamental as it is in WC to generate power. Also, having the ability for the shoulders to be a bit independent from the hips allows a greater scope of different angles when delivering the punch.

And the key is that in boxing its not just the rotation... its the weight transfer thats the key. The rotation gives you the momentum to help with this transfer.

The WC ive been exposed to doesnt have this weight transfer in its punchin delivery (several branches) so rotation would just be for the sake of rotation... maybe give a bit of range though if required

WC's game isnt this range and its WC's preference for in-close fighting where the WC stance comes into its own.... putting structure behind the strikes

Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    If you do the forms and exercises of WCK and examine the rotation (body turning), you will see that in WCK we keep our shoulders always directly over our hips, even when turning/shifting. When we turn/shift, our hips and shoulders turn at the same time as a unit, always maintaining that shoulder-directly-over-hip alignment. This is the basis for WCK's "connected power."

In boxing, however, you see the shoulders often move independent of, although in conjunction with, the hips. So the upper torso will twist more than the lower torso.

These are two very different ways of rotating and work differently, in different circumstances, etc.

Why does WCK rotate the way it does, and in a way different from boxing/kickboxing?

I can only speak for myself. I don't always have my shoulder and hips in alignment. In general I do but not 100 percent of the times. In our chum kiu we twist or turn the body 3 different ways. Each ways has a different power sinator and ewach type is used for different reasons.
    http://www.facebook.com/sifumcilwrath
    http://www.youtube.com/user/sifumcilwrath

There is no REAL secrets in Wing Chun, but because the forms are conceptual you have to know how to decipher the information..That's the secret..

Quote Originally Posted by stonecrusher69 View Post
    In our chum kiu we twist or turn the body 3 different ways. Each ways has a different power sinator and ewach type is used for different reasons.
    This is similar to what I was trying to explain to T. Using Chum Kiu as a power building form would naturally involve various turning and twisting of the arrivals to generate specific power for specific reason.

But no...

Quote Originally Posted by t_neihoff View Post
    It has nothing to do with "understanding". The sets/forms don't provide any "training" -- they are a reference for teaching.

Your whole premise is nonsense.
    I guess again we have total differences as to the purpose of forms. I agree they're references for teaching, but to actually teach all the refereces needs actual training. Training that develops every year and progresses your ability beyond the simple images of the forms.

There are many references to both the straight jab and lead right, depending on how you want to look at the forms. Different teaching opens diferent doors.
    Ti Fei
    詠春國術

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    In boxing, however, you see the shoulders often move independent of, although in conjunction with, the hips. So the upper torso will twist more than the lower torso.

These are two very different ways of rotating and work differently, in different circumstances, etc.
    Terence is right about the difference between WCK and boxing. While boxing is not as "standardized" in its biomechanics, in general the boxer does rotate through the torso more so than through the hips and is not as linked as in WCK. From a biomechanical standpoint, this has primarily to do to where the center of gravity is maintained. For WCK's upright posture, the COG is typically at the Tan Tien (mid-pelvis). For the boxer's more "stooped forward" posture the COG rises to somewhere around the solar plexus or mid-chest. This fundamentally changes how one moves and generates power.

Reasoning for different roation

A boxer is different than a WC fighter because the style or form or way he uses his body. A boxer bobs and weaves where as in wing chun traditionally there is no bob and weave. The boxers generation can also come from the bob or weave as they when they throw a hook or upper cut they slightly sink and then rotate or shift the weight. With Wing Chun you use your limbs to protect you and there fore your body is more balance and with less movement of head. The head is more static than in boxing where you move the head away. The hands are what you use to attack with. So there for the structure is different. When you use the hips and arms in unison it because there is no need to sink first to generate force. Now a boxers hook will be more powerful than WC punch any day. But the WC punch with rotation does not just give you extra power it gives you more range of motion. Which allows you to collaspe your opponents structure or add power to your strike. In other words you have a longer follow through depending on how close you are to your opponent.

But being able to turn and rotate with a punch is nothing unless you practice doing so first on a heavy bag and wall bag then implement it with sparring. How many of you have actually hit someone with that sorta of punch?

addtionally the rotation is not just for punching. Other hand techniques can be use with the rotation like Jut sau or Tan sau. To uproot or displace your opponents balance. Also you can use the rotation with lop sau to turn or shift your opponents attacking line so you can attack them from their blindspot!
    The Flow is relentless like a raging ocean with crashing waves devasting anything in its path.

"Kick Like Thunder, Strike Like Lighting, Fist Hard as Stones."

"Wing Chun flows around overwhelming force and finds openings with its constant flow of forward energy."

"Always Attack, Be Aggressive always Attack first, Be Relentless. Continue with out ceasing. Flow Like Water, Move like the wind, Attack Like Fire. Consume and overwhelm your Adversary until he is No More"

Quote Originally Posted by m1k3 View Post
    Not going to comment on the wing chun striking rotation but you have oversimplified the boxing rotation. While a jab or a cross may have separate shoulder and hip rotation close in strikes like hooks, shovel hooks and uppercuts utilize a shoulder hip alignment for power.

Boxing does not lock itself into one way of throwing punches.

Look at the pivot of the left foot when throwing a left hook. Hip, shoulder and body weight all in one synchronized motion.

You can make any statements about wing chun striking you like and argue about how its done, but if you are going to make comments about boxing punches please try to get it right occasionally.
    Exactly correct and neither does WC. Because of the fundamental ways that WC is applied in one and two step "trapping" scenarios and chi sao, a weak, low-level player like T. thinks that WC does not have versatility in punching. It really boils to a real lack of hard sparring and ring experience for T to develop proper understanding.

Quote Originally Posted by KPM View Post
    Terence is right about the difference between WCK and boxing. While boxing is not as "standardized" in its biomechanics, in general the boxer does rotate through the torso more so than through the hips and is not as linked as in WCK.
    I think good boxers have "some" of the same linkage either instinctually or through training that we use in WCK for power. You do see some torso lean in the punches as well as rotation. I think if people do consistent bag work then instinctually learn "some" of those mechanics as they enable you to hit the bag harder.