Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: forms or shadowboxing

forms or shadowboxing

I've heard it said that a boxer's shadowboxing is a type of forms training... in a way - I guess you could say that, but to me there's a big difference in the two approaches. That being forms are pre-choreographed and shadow boxing is fluid and spontaneous. If after a person has learned some prerequisite forms, should they then strive to find a way to shadow-box using a logical progression of techniques derived from the forms? If so, do you think that this type of training is beneficial?

Shadowboxing like you said flows and is done spontaneously from techniques you train often. I have always compared shadowboxing to other more resistant training because you are going through the motions at a slower pace but with some intent still behind them.

You can pick apart basics and forms and do those techniques in shadowboxing, as you should. Everything form punches, kicks, knees, elbows, animal techniques, and throws can be practiced and simulated in shadowboxing. I find this more beneficial than forms because forms being a set pattern does not provide you with different scenirios, it is the same thing over and over and although people may say it can be used for this or that, more often it is made to fit in the mold of this or that when someone tries to explain something.

The whole idea of techniques hidden in forms or forms having secret moves is a load of sh**it. Take the techniques from the form, than practice how you would use them sparring or fighting, and shadowboxing builds a good base for this.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

They're two different things really.

Forms are choreographed patterns that can be expressed as natural movement, but takes time to get there. Also, forms contain lessons associated wit the style. Not so much a work out or fluidity drills, which is what shadow boxing is.

Shadow boxing is freestyle integration of footwork to hand work. No choreography and only in terms of what you are going to use with none of the superfluous.

Boxing is also not the same as TCMA in many respects and therefore has different approach to footwork and movement.

I do both and find them to be totally different on many levels.

combo drills are more like a boxers form work. If a person was to do free style combos from his style without putting it into the framework of a given form, then that would be closer.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Forms are good for beginners and old people. Shadowboxing is good for all ages all levels of skill and should be practiced from beginning to end.

Quote Originally Posted by kungfoozer View Post
    Forms are good for beginners and old people. Shadowboxing is good for all ages all levels of skill and should be practiced from beginning to end.
    dude, please stop commenting. you are cluttering threads with your jibberish.

beginning to end? lol wtf?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Gene ban this dude please! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mysterious power you are on 13 peopels ignore list, all we have to do is ask other members to put you on so no one has to read your comments.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Why should I be banned? You keep starting trouble with me. I'm not mysteriouspower. I'm kungfoozer. Learn to read. It doesn't sound or look anything like mysteriouspower.

form is not shadowboxing

if u cant spontaneously do ur techniques ur techniques are too convoluted
    Last edited by bawang; 11-22-2010 at 02:49 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

there is no reason anyone can't do both.

Blog Entries
    IMO, form is for teaching and learning only. Since it's not for training, we should not compare form with shadow boxing. If you train drills such as:

- jab
    - jab, cross
    - jab, cross, upper cut
    - jab, cross, upper cut, hook

then no matter you repeat it just once or 20 times, the way that you train drills will be no different from shadow boxing.

Since drills involve throwing which does not exist in shadow boxing, there are more complicate footwork pattern involved.

Here's a semi-serious analogy.

When you guys have sex do you do it all in a set pattern or are you spontaneous? Which one excites your girlfriend/wife more?

I guess for the old married couples forms are a good thing just like old people in kung foo

in northern chiense martial arts shadow boxing is mostly done on the sandbag

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Here's a semi-serious analogy.

When you guys have sex do you do it all in a set pattern or are you spontaneous? Which one excites your girlfriend/wife more?

I guess for the old married couples forms are a good thing just like old people in kung foo
    any real sex guru knows its both. if you are a bad ass there are some things you do that a woman will request. and no im not joking, if you dont know what im talking about, go practice more.

it often goes like this 'do 'that thing' you do' (that thing differs depending on the man and woman, because every woman is like a snowflake, and you will develop a series of special techniques to cater to her uniqueness) and its often very similar to a form. combination of techniques you have mastered and can do in a precise manner upon request. always producing the same results. that is precicely why it is requested. again if you think im joking, you just havent gotten to that point yet.

spontineity is the king for sure, and gets the largest amount of best results, but if you are any real man, you do get requests from time to time for a formation you have mastered. thats a fact of life.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Blog Entries
    You find out what your love one likes and stick to it and never change it. Love making is not for you. It's for your love one.

If you find a fighting method that work for you, stick to it for the rest of your life, and never change it.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 11-22-2010 at 03:13 PM.

kungfoozer
    y should I be banned? You keep starting trouble with me. I'm not mysteriouspower. I'm kungfoozer. Learn to read. It doesn't sound or look anything like mysteriouspower.
    your logging in from the same IP address genius..........
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."