Thread: BJJ - GJJ?

Highlander Guest

BJJ - GJJ?

I know BJJ is Brazilian Jujitsu and GJJ is Gracie Jujitsu, but what is the difference and which is better?

omegapoint Guest

Re:Difference?

BJJ and GJJ can be synonymous. The Gracie system of BJJ is the most recognized and popular, and the most practiced worldwide. Even the Gracie system can be further divided into Helio's system and his brother Carl's system, if I understand correctly. I don't think you can say which system of BJJ is better, but I do know that the Gracie oriented schools have a large student base around the globe. Any form of grappling with submission and street self-defense techs is a good thing to add to your MA repertoire. GJJ/BJJ is considered by many to be a complete MA system.

I hope this helps...

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Aside from Carlton/Helio/Rickson Gracie jujitsu and all those divisions, there is actually a brazilian jujitsu style called Machado jujitsu, developed by the machado family. They're bjj, but not gjj.

Highlander Guest
    I am assuming that each of these systems originated from basically the same source. I would also assume that the training methods may have evolved a little differently over time, but do they each stay to basically the same corriculum? That is, do they each teach the same techiques in the same order?

GinSueDog Guest
    I have heard it said that Gracie Jiu Jitsu is more street oriented then BJJ which is more sport oriented. Basically it really depends on the instructor. What it really comes down to is if someone is teaching Gracie Jiu Jitsu and isn't a Graice then they are paying a fee to the Gracie Academy and are most likely in the Graice instructor program. The Machados, Joe Moreira, Fabio Santos are all Gracie trained and recieved there blackblet from one Gracie or another, infact the Machados used to teach at the Gracie Torrance Academy. They just don't bother paying an association fee. There basically all the same, they may have a different focus such as Vale Tudo, street defense or just sport competitions but you are going to learn the same armbars, triangles, and american arm-breakers from each of them. The only reason I think the Gracies gave there stuff a different name is marketing and to basically make themselves stand out. They are pretty much the founders of BJJ although that does not mean there way of doing things is that much different or better. I hope that helps you somewhat. Oh, post this on a BJJ board and watch it get a hundred replies.-ED

"The grappling arts imply most fights end up on the ground...take them there. The striking arts imply all fights start standing up...keep them there. The mixed martial arts imply any fight can go anywhere...be ready and able to go everywhere."-a mix martial artist

Highlander Guest
    I really thought I was getting it but now I'm confused again. If you learn the same techniques how can one be more street oriented and one more sport oriented? What I mean to ask is, what is the difference in a street arm bar and a ring arm bar? And I have also read post from BJJers that say they wouldn't go to the ground as a first choice in the streets, but isn't all BJJ on the ground? On this last question I may have mixed up some MMA posts with BJJ posts. If I did I appologize and just ignore it.

GinSueDog Guest
    It really depends on where there focus is. If you are in a BJJ school where the instructor's main goal is to prepare you for competitions in sport BJJ then he may ignore certain realities that you may face if you were to get into a street fight such as slamming, defending against strikes from the ground, etc. He is more then likely to train you according to what he thinks you are going to likely face in a sport competition. It is a Gracie belief for the most part that GJJ is the ultimate answer when facing a single opponent on the street. They do not field a sport jiu jitsu team if I recall correctly as there main focus is using GJJ as a street defense tool. You may learn there way to defend against certain strikes when in the clinch or on the ground. They may make you aware that certain positions or techniques do or may leave you open in other areas to strikes etc. Then there are BJJ schools out there that are more Vale Tudo oriented then BJJ sport competition oriented. Those schools train without the gi, often are more likely to incorporate wrestling and judo takedowns etc. All basically teach you the same thing with little changes, obviously if I am training without a gi then most of the techniques that relay on using the gi for leverage or submissions are not going to be taught. Where as a school more sport oriented may focus a great deal on using the gi as a weapon. In the end it really depends on where you train and who your instructor is, Joe Moreira is also a Judo black belt and so mixes a lot of Judo with the BJJ he teaches, Chris Brennan is a MMA fighter and so his focus is more Vale Tudo using a lot of wrestling techniques as well as BJJ without the gi, the Machado brothers have one of the top BJJ sport competition teams and put a lot of effort in being the best.-ED

omegapoint Guest

in the texas area

If you really want to learn the difference between BJJ/GJJ (there really is none as all legit BJJ comes from the Gracie tradition) then attend Caique's seminar in San Antonio on June 2-3. By the way GinSue Dog do you train JJ? I'm friends with Caique the "Professor" of GJJ, and his seminar would be a great thing for you if you do or don't. If you can't make it to SA, I'm sure he'll be doing one near you at some time this year. Machado JJ IS Gracie JJ (although a little more competition oriented). Real BJJ is applicable to the streets OR competition. Peace...OP

GinSueDog Guest
    omegapoint,
    I train under Chris Brennan here in So Cal. I have heard good things about Caique and what he is doing. I may check him out if my job takes me up to the LA area in the future.-ED

Knifefighter Guest
    I know BJJ is Brazilian Jujitsu and GJJ is Gracie Jujitsu, but what is the difference and which is
    better?
    ================================================== =======
    Gracie Jiu Jitsu is the trademark name that Rorion holds in the U.S. GJJ and BJJ are pretty much one and the same. The only difference comes from the differing teaching/fighting philosophies from the different BJJ schools.

What I mean to ask is, what
    is the difference in a street arm bar and a ring arm bar?
    A sport arm bar is extended in a relatively controlled manner. Once the arm is extended, the hips gradually extend into the elbow joint, again in a relatively controlled manner, giving the opponent time to tap. A street arm bar is applied much more explosively. One the arm is extended, the hips repeatedly and ballistically slam into the elbow joint.

And I have also read post from BJJers
    that say they wouldn't go to the ground as a first choice in the streets, but isn't all BJJ on the
    ground?
    That statement has always seemed strange to me. Unless he has trained in a supplementary stand up art, the BJJ practitioner won’t be very good on his feet.

ATENG Guest

highlander

rorion's trademarked gjj is to bjj as leung ting's trademarked wingtsun is to wing chun.

---------------------
    Its all fun and games til someone loses an
    eye. Then its just fun.

Merryprankster Guest
    I thought Caique had left the gracie's fold, or did he not?

Knifefighter Guest
    Caique is not teaching on his own at I & I sports. 190th & Figuroa. I think that is Gardena or Carson.

Knifefighter Guest
    Oops! Typo. That should have read, Caique is "now" teaching on his own...