Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Pathology of Iron Palm" Book

Greetings,

PlumDragon,

I went to visit your site out of interest. I lost interest when you have lead shot listed as potential filler for an iron palm bag. That really shouldn't be encouraged at any training level. But your listing it justifies the use of the word "pathology" in the title of your book.

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

PlumDragon,

I went to visit your site out of interest. I lost interest when you have lead shot listed as potential filler for an iron palm bag. That really shouldn't be encouraged at any training level. But your listing it justifies the use of the word "pathology" in the title of your book.

mickey

There's nothing wrong with using lead shot. As long as your bag is lined.

It's a harder striking surface, so it's best to use it later in traning, rather than sooner.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Blog Entries
    lead shot
    I won't recommend "lead shot" either. The BB gun BB - steal ball is much better.

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    There's nothing wrong with using lead shot. As long as your bag is lined.

It's a harder striking surface, so it's best to use it later in traning, rather than sooner.
    Indeed.
    Each of the many mediums that CAN be used has its pros and cons:
    Sand, Steel BB's, Lead BB's.
    You just have to minimize or eliminate the cons to reap the advantages of the Pro's.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I spent the last day discussing the title with several friends in medicine and publishing during Thanksgiving "calls". While I am confident people who fully read the introduction of the book would understand why "Pathology of Iron Palm" was chosen, I have weighed all opinions and factors and decided to make a last minute title change to more accurately reflect overall content of the book. It was decided to change it to "Excursions in Iron Palm" and the pathology sections within remain intact.

I appreciate everyones feedback on the matter and feel the book is now better because of it, even if in a somewhat trivial manner. The goal ultimately is to sell the book, and I dont want people turned off simply by a title. So its done. The book will still ship as planned, prior to Christmas. A big thanks to those who have already purchased it.

Mickey,
    There are people out there who use lead shot, so we offer filling data for our bags, which are lined with vinyl. We dont fill bags. I never recommend using lead shot due to toxicity and actually, in the book we recommend steel shot as the medium of choice due to its combination of high density and high brinell hardness factor. We list densities and brinell hardnesses for a large number of materials (this data by itself, compiled during my time as a missiles engineer, si worth the cost of the book) and discuss why steel is favorable based on those physical properties...I hope that clears it up...
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 11-26-2010 at 07:21 AM.

um about the shot discussion.... I was given pigiron pellets by my teacher to use.
    we use a coldren and a wok , not a bag however I would not recomentd lead even with a liner. after many thousands of times hitting it can slit or tear without noticing it.

although round pig iron shot is hard to find it is best for this applicaion.

If you are living near a steel plant it can be found all over the place on the ground no need to purchase it.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I have used steel and lead, have used lead exclusivley for that last 5 years.
    Because I of the many issues with Lead I was concerned and voiced my concern to my family doctor.
    Even though my bag is very well lined and sealed, one can never be too safe.
    So, he suggested a yearly test of lead levels when I do my yearly physical.
    As of the last one, there is no difference at all.
    BUT I say this to anyone, if you don't want to use lead Don't.
    Again there are pros to lead of course but in the end, it all does the same thing.

PlumDragon,

While you may not recommend it, just listing it as a possible filler for your iron palm bag is a tacit recommendation and is not a good thing for someone who is not familiar with iron palm. By simply listing it you are giving the impression that it can be used and be used safely. Yes, there are practitioners out there who use lead. But from a health and an even healthier business perspective, I would suggest not listing it at all or that you use an asterisk followed by a detail of the risks when using such a medium.

Added Scenario: A person visiting your site who happens to be interested in iron palm training and sees lead shot listed as a possible filler. Well, guess what? He knows of a place where he can get it. He just has to get a bag (which may not be the one you offer) and some of your jow. I will let you fill in the rest....

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 11-26-2010 at 09:58 AM.

PlumDragon,

While you may not recommend it, just listing it as a possible filler for your iron palm bag is a tacit recommendation and is not a good thing for someone who is not familiar with iron palm. By simply listing it you are giving the impression that it can be used and be used safely. Yes, there are practitioners out there who use lead. But from a health and an even healthier business perspective, I would suggest not listing it at all or that you use an asterisk followed by a detail of the risks when using such a medium.

Added Scenario: A person visiting your site who happens to be interested in iron palm training and sees lead shot listed as a possible filler. Well, guess what? He knows of a place where he can get it. He just has to get a bag (which may not be the one you offer) and some of your jow. I will let you fill in the rest....

mickey

I'll let Darwin fill in the rest...
    Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    I'll let Darwin fill in the rest...
    Indeed,
    Chicoine's "IP Lineage" guys like you and AkronViper use lead right?

I was about to say, Wolff's Law has 2 F's. But you beat me to it
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Peeps,
    I think you are being very critical of Josh and his book. He is the author. He acquiesced on the title. Let's leave the content alone. Buy it or don't. It's really that simple.
    By Josh posting the table of contents, it should make it easy enough to judge whether you are interested in the subject matter or not.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Indeed,
    Chicoine's "IP Lineage" guys like you and AkronViper use lead right?

I'm only two years into IP training, so I still use steel shot.

Some have moved up to lead shot, but that isn't recommended until a few years into the training. I've hit a lead bag just to see what the difference is. It doesn't 'give' nearly as much as a bag of #6 steel shot.

Lead (poisoning) doesn't affect adults as acutely as it does children, so the risk is minimal unless your bag is unlined (IP trainee should be informed enough to use a lined bag with any filler), or if it is just threadbare and dilapidated...then just replace the thing.

Keep your small children away from paint chips and lead filled bags, and all will be fine. People on here are overreacting to the health risk of a lead shot filled bag.
    Quote:

Quote Originally Posted by mooyingmantis View Post
    Peeps,
    I think you are being very critical of Josh and his book. He is the author. He acquiesced on the title. Let's leave the content alone. Buy it or don't. It's really that simple.
    By Josh posting the table of contents, it should make it easy enough to judge whether you are interested in the subject matter or not.

No one has been overly critical. Keep the comments rolling, it makes for good conversation and debate. Most IP writings are just rehash drivel...this book actually sounds interesting.

More commentary please.
    Quote:

iron weasel
    More commentary please.
    do not use lead shot. use pig iron only.... bags can form tiny tears and slight openings where the lead dust and particals can leek out, dont take the risk, plus iron does not give at all compared to lead and steel
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."