Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Pathology of Iron Palm" Book

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    iron weasel

do not use lead shot. use pig iron only.... bags can form tiny tears and slight openings where the lead dust and particals can leek out, dont take the risk, plus iron does not give at all compared to lead and steel

Well, initially, you want some 'give' with each strike.
    After a few years when you're ready for a more solid strike with less give, switch to lead.

Lead in the bag will not kill you. Get a new bag every year if you're worried.

There's more 'poisonous' ingredients in the jow. Lead in the bag won't hurt you.

And don't run with scissors.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Well, initially, you want some 'give' with each strike.
    After a few years when you're ready for a more solid strike with less give, switch to lead.
    initially do you mean when you start ip training or just bag work ? we start with beans, then snad work up form there but differnt teachers do different things, was curious how you started
    Lead in the bag will not kill you. Get a new bag every year if you're worried.
    yeahh but its toxic none the less. I perfer Iron but its hard to come by and wouldf rather not have to change the bag every year.
    I used to slap a flat smooth stone everyday for years and after many years it has an indentation where my hand lays... same witha bag you get attached.... new bags make me feel like ai started over. LOL
    There's more 'poisonous' ingredients in the jow. Lead in the bag won't hurt you.
    if ingested perhaps, like lion coin but topically Jow is not poisonous
    , unless you have open wound or something the like.

And don't run with scissors
    . jogging with nail clippers is alowed though right?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

initially do you mean when you start ip training or just bag work ? we start with beans, then snad work up form there but differnt teachers do different things, was curious how you started
    Beans and sand will really only toughen up your skin by creating callouses. They won't do too much to crate bone density. My hands are a little calloused anyway, so I don't try to roughen them up any more, but someone who has a delicate career or soft hands may benefit from the mung beans, etc.

We begin with #6 steel shot in a lined bag. The filler is meant to compress slightly with each strike, to disperse some of the kinetic energy. Our strikes are slow and soft: simply let the hand fall with gravity from about eyebrow height. The risk of damage to the hand is greater in the beginning due to the 'new' inflammation and swelling to the area. Slow and easy, especially in the beginning.

People who strike the bag hard, or use a swinging/hanging bag (basically the bag is striking YOU...therefore a harder hit) are asking for disfigurement. The bone is stredded enough to stimulate osteon growth from light drops onto the bag. Anything more is simply injury.

yeahh but its toxic none the less. I perfer Iron but its hard to come by and wouldf rather not have to change the bag every year.
    It's VERY toxic to children, that's what the hype is about. Adults come into contact with environmental lead all the time. Fishermen handle lead sinkers...etc. You really need a LOT of lead to harm an adult. Most lead in adults is bound in bone and therfore not circulatine, therefore not toxic. The risk is non existant to the educated person.

I used to slap a flat smooth stone everyday for years and after many years it has an indentation where my hand lays... same witha bag you get attached.... new bags make me feel like ai started over. LOL
    That is even harder than the lead. Less give, more chance of injury in the beginning. I wouldn't strike a SOLID surface with any regularity unless I had worked my way through some more malleable material.

if ingested perhaps, like lion coin but topically Jow is not poisonous
    , unless you have open wound or something the like.

You're right about that. Open wound + IP medicine = fire!

. jogging with nail clippers is alowed though right?
    But they poke me in the fruits!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

The "pigiron" as its being called is just iron taconite ore formed into balls. Its not hard to get and its not actually that expensive either. I used to get it for people who wanted it but its too much of a hassle--its by far the messiest striking medium of all.

While iron is a fairly hard material, the iron pellets are actually quite brittle and breakdown rather easily. Some people use iron shot in a bag but dust gets through much easier than other types of materials and it can be bad for your lungs. Ive spent a good deal of time hitting it directly for the experience and have to wear a mask to keep it out of my lungs. To be honest, I actually really enjoy hitting iron directly; it conditions the hand in an entirely different way due to point-contact...but the crap is incredibly messy, and the dust is *horrible* and I would never ever recommend it to anyone.

Densities and hardesses for iron are also given in the book. And when you look at the info, its clear to see that (given mediums packed in a canvas bag) steel stresses the hand more than iron.

Its also worth pointing out though that your ability to produce power has little to do with what type of medium you strike during your session. Power production is power production and conditioning is conditioning--you could hit tungsten shot (which is also discussed in the book) for 10 years, but that doesnt mean you can produce a lot of power. It just means your hand can withstand a serious impact!

In a nutshell, if YOU have issues with lead, don't use it, there are other viable material you can use.
    As for our critique of Josh's book, it really is nothing of the sort, we just want Josh to put out the best possible book he can and are giving him some friendly advice as "outsiders".
    I think Josh knows we have only his best at heart.
    Plumboy ( ) is a highly respected member of our online community and if we didn't care about him we'd won't even bother commenting.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

The "Excursions in Iron Palm" book is now in print!! We have copies on our way to us now and it looks like anyone who has pre-ordered (or does so by Friday) should receive the book by Chirstmas, at which point pre-order will end.

Thanks to everyone who has ordered the book and/or provided feedback on it. Your support is fueling our next big project!