Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: which drills make you feel GREAT!?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

which drills make you feel GREAT!?

I was reading the over 50 thread, and people are sharing how great Martial Arts makes them feel, and got to thinking about which drills and exercises really make me feel good.
    Here's a few:

1. Wu-Shu line drills. Yeah, yeah. I'm a Hung Kuen guy, but I did have an opportunity to train a bit with Yu Shao-Wen, and he taught me the line drills, (as well as Kwai-Ding and Whip Chain) These drills stretch the body,legs and spine, increase flexiblity and really just opens everything up. I think they improve overall performance, no matter which style you do.

2. Tan-Tuie- like the line drills, the large open movements and deep stances opens up the body and channels, and improves overall structure.

3. makiwara- there is something about the total concentration, striving for perfection in each strike, coupled with impact training that just makes me feel good.

4. Tiet Sien Kuen-both a physical as well as mental pump.

5. nothing like the feeling you get after a few good rounds on the heavybag
    so, what are yours?
    Last edited by TenTigers; 02-01-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

After an 8-set 3-round Tabata session, I feel awesome.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

The 8-postures training set from the Northern Shaolin/ Mantis I learned through a Korean lineage followed by the 6-kicks training set from that same curriculum.

I end up literally buzzing and pumped with energy, even though my legs are a bit shaky afterward. I try to do these every day without fail.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

#2 Phillips Head.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    After an 8-set 3-round Tabata session, I feel awesome.
    Those aren't Tabata's, they're HIIT's

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    #2 Phillips Head.
    Huhuhuhuhuhuhuh... you said "head"... huhuhuhhuhuhu...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Those aren't Tabata's, they're HIIT's
    I thought Tabatas were 20 seconds on/10 seconds off, or does it only qualify you do it for just 4 minutes?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

I thought Tabatas were 20 seconds on/10 seconds off, or does it only qualify you do it for just 4 minutes?
    Not to be anal retentive but Tabatas are HIGH Intensity HIIT !!
    The 20:10 protocol is the same, but the intensity level is much higher, around the 120% Vo2 max.
    Which basically means that IF you can do more then 1 set, you aren't doing Tabata's.
    However, for the vast majority, they way you do it is, in my view, far better.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    3-3minute rounds on the mitts with partner who is pushing hard.

and sparring and rolling at a high intensity lvl with someone of equal intensity.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i had an old taichi lady talk smack behind my back. i mean comon man, come on. if it was 200 years ago,, mebbe i wouldve smacked her and took all her monehs.
    Originally posted by Bawang
    i am manly and strong. do not insult me cracker.

Not to be anal retentive but Tabatas are HIGH Intensity HIIT !!
    The 20:10 protocol is the same, but the intensity level is much higher, around the 120% Vo2 max.
    Which basically means that IF you can do more then 1 set, you aren't doing Tabata's.
    However, for the vast majority, they way you do it is, in my view, far better.
    I see lots of variation for HIIT times, up to 1:30 minutes on, depending on the program.

I see lots of variation for HIIT times, up to 1:30 minutes on, depending on the program.
    Boxing is the original HIIT

Tabata Method

A popular regimen based on a 1996 study[2] uses 20 seconds of ultra-intense exercise (at 170% of VO2max) followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated continuously for 4 minutes (8 cycles). In the original study, athletes using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state (70% VO2max) training 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 ml/kg/min), but the tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 ml/kg/min). Also, only the tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits unlike the steady state group.

I stand corrected, it was 170% of the max

believe it or not, i usually feel pretty good when i do a nice, slow paced workout of static stretches, 24-step competition taiji, some taiji walking, and a good run through of the ram muay.

problem is i don't really do workouts like this often enough; so focused on high intensity and calorie burning.

otherwise, the drills that make me feel the best are
    16oz curls

What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

A nice glass of milk is good too'

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I was reading the over 50 thread, and people are sharing how great Martial Arts makes them feel, and got to thinking about which drills and exercises really make me feel good.
    Here's a few:

1. Wu-Shu line drills. Yeah, yeah. I'm a Hung Kuen guy, but I did have an opportunity to train a bit with Yu Shao-Wen, and he taught me the line drills, (as well as Kwai-Ding and Whip Chain) These drills stretch the body,legs and spine, increase flexiblity and really just opens everything up. I think they improve overall performance, no matter which style you do.

2. Tan-Tuie- like the line drills, the large open movements and deep stances opens up the body and channels, and improves overall structure.

3. makiwara- there is something about the total concentration, striving for perfection in each strike, coupled with impact training that just makes me feel good.

4. Tiet Sien Kuen-both a physical as well as mental pump.

5. nothing like the feeling you get after a few good rounds on the heavybag
    so, what are yours?
    I love my Chow Gar Sarn Bo Jin. When done properly it makes me feel great on many levels.

Hitting the sand bowl (Iron Palm) with all the proper breathing and concentration (qigong) also had very positive effects on many levels and gives me a special "buzz".

There are more stuff but the above two are very special.

i feel refreshed after doing some form and walking in some circles in the morning moonlight, which of course is after i do a brief juggle of the iron balls to get the blood racing in order to help keep me warm.