Thread: How do you defend aginst a front shove

Threaded View

gino, gottcha, I understand where your coming from and yes yuo could damage the neck seruiously if you have it a acute angle and dropped your body weight on it in that postition.

Soco and Richard
    when redirecting any oncoming attack the most effective way is always going to be downward, opening the upper gate or closing the centerline, unless a much shorter person is punching upwards at your face, but in the case of a shove, oppponents force can be redirected downward with less effort and greater effect.

True mastery of self movement means you....minimal effort with maximum results. repelling 2000lbs with 4 oz of force is an old taji saying.

If you in your next class have a person attempt to push you, lean back slighty and circle your hands around the outside of his hands/wrists and with your handss circle inward and downward to redirect.
    Then try it again upward and outward you will find you are fighting the natural movements of thier body, thus making it more resisting. trust me try it.

you speak of countering after this, well thier body and head come forward and thier arms are on the outside of yours............. pick your counter... This is a taji push defense the best and most comprehensive I have ever seen, also found in Aikido.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 12-04-2010 at 08:59 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."