Thread: any info about this guy named Shi De Li

any info about this guy named Shi De Li

Shaolin master to visit Pawcatuck Martial Arts school
    Published 11/21/2010 12:00 AMUpdated 11/21/2010 04:49 AM COMMENTS ( 0 )
    Stonington - A revered Chinese martial arts expert on a two-week U.S. visit is to make his only area appearance at Imperial Martial Arts on West Broad Street in Pawcatuck Nov. 27 from 1 to 4 p.m.

Grandmaster Shi De Li is the martial abbot of the Shaolin Temple, the 31st generation successor in lineage from Bodhidharma, the traditional first patriarch of Ch'an (or Zen) Buddhism. Chinese Kung Fu began within the walls of the Shaolin Temple more than 1,500 years ago.

Shi De Li will discuss Shaolin Kung Fu, which covers all aspects of martial arts, and Chi Kung, which promotes health and energy through breathing exercises.

Participants may attend the lecture for $20 or attend a training session and demonstration for $40. The event will conclude with a tea ceremony. For more information or to register call (401) 741-5265.

Jim Leach, owner of Imperial Martial Arts, has recently been appointed the Rhode Island representative of the Shaolin Cultural Foundation, an organization that works to preserve and promote the study of Shaolin culture and heritage.
    Last edited by hui; 11-26-2010 at 01:04 AM. Reason: adding

Another Shaolin Abbot???

freaky...

Blog Entries
    some people need to find better ways of trying to promote someone over trying to throw out QUESTIONS like "ANY INFO ON THIS GUY?"

LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT ALL THE INFO YOU NEED ALREADY hahahahahaha
    Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Official Statement

Release Date:2010-11-25

Recent reports said a self-proclaimed “abbot of Shaolin Temple, 31st generation successor in lineage from Bodhidharma, Shi De Li” would offer profitable lecture and Kungfu trainings at Pawcatuck Martial Arts School on November 27, 2010.

According to the temple’s investigation, no record is found about the above-mentioned person that has lived in China Shaolin Temple and its sub temples. China Shaolin Temple hereby makes the following statement:

1. China Shaolin Temple has only the one current abbot named Shi Yongxin;

2. Shaolin Temple has nothing to do with the Shi De Li’s activity at Pawcatuck Martial Arts School;

3. Shi De Li must immediately cease acting against the Buddhist belief and jeopardizing the temple’s legal right in the name of Shaolin Temple;

4. If Shi De Li would continue to do things his own way, China Shaolin Temple shall reserve the right of filing a court appeal.

Welcome everyone to visit the official website of China Shaolin Temple with information about Shaolin activities, cultural studies and foreign communications. http://www.shaolin.org.cn/en

November 25, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior View Post
    some people need to find better ways of trying to promote someone over trying to throw out QUESTIONS like "ANY INFO ON THIS GUY?"

LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT ALL THE INFO YOU NEED ALREADY hahahahahaha
    people are too smart to find out the truth. if you think that was my intention, i guess i am asking for favor to the wrong person. thx

get your red chinese bs out of here. everybody knows only hung gar, wing chun and choy lee foot are the real shaolin.
    FREE TIBET

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by hui View Post
    people are too smart to find out the truth. if you think that was my intention, i guess i am asking for favor to the wrong person. thx
    I'm confused. Nowhere in any of your ramblings did you ask the forum members a question. What are your intentions with this thread? Do you have a question for us or are you just advertising a seminar?

To get back to the question...

I thought Shi Deli might be a monk that I once interviewed. He was one of the wushuguan managers. The photo in the news article doesn't look like him, but it's been several years. Deli was supposed to send me some photos to accompany the article, but he never did so the article was never published. It's in a heap of notes somewhere. I need to dig up a photo of him to refresh my memory. I didn't know Deli very well, and would not have even interviewed him but he was recommended to me as one of the best traditional practitioners at the time. I think that was in 2003.

There are two interesting things about this Deli now. First, he's a 'de' generation, 31st gen, which places him above the Abbot. Most of the present Shaolin representatives are Yan gen, or 34th, one beneath Yong. The other is the claim of being martial abbot. I'm not sure what that means. I do know that saying you are the abbot is one of the quickest ways to get ejected from the monastery.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Shi De Li

I met Shi De Li back in 2003-2004 (maybe a year or two earlier). He was part of a Shaolin tour group that passed through Houston. I recall him being one of the group leaders but at no time did he present himself as "abbot". I think he was actually in a group from the official wushuguan.

Shi De Li was very interesting and found his knowledge of Shaolin to be very advanced. I remember sitting in his hotel room with a friend just listening to him speak. The Houston monks had also stopped by to visit the group Shi De Li was with. I have tried to get in touch with Shi De Li over the years but he travels a lot so its hard to reach him. I do know he does visit a kung fu school in Deleware or somewhere around there where he hosts seminars and such. He usually stops by there once or twice a year. I am not sure if its the same school that was advertising the seminar.

A few years ago, Shi De Li came through Houston again but it was strictly a religious stop. He had visited a Buddhist temple in Houston but was traveling with some kind of Buddhist "artifact" he was displaying or doing some type of pilgrimage with. I didn't get a chance to see him that time. I don't have any other info regarding the artifact but my friend seemed to know more about it than I did. If I get a chance I will try and get a photo up. I guess in closing if you think Shi De Li is "fake" there is no way that could be true. I am about as lost as Gene is regarding the abbot title. Maybe the media got it wrong or something.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I thought Shi Deli might be a monk that I once interviewed. He was one of the wushuguan managers. The photo in the news article doesn't look like him, but it's been several years. Deli was supposed to send me some photos to accompany the article, but he never did so the article was never published. It's in a heap of notes somewhere. I need to dig up a photo of him to refresh my memory. I didn't know Deli very well, and would not have even interviewed him but he was recommended to me as one of the best traditional practitioners at the time. I think that was in 2003.

There are two interesting things about this Deli now. First, he's a 'de' generation, 31st gen, which places him above the Abbot. Most of the present Shaolin representatives are Yan gen, or 34th, one beneath Yong. The other is the claim of being martial abbot. I'm not sure what that means. I do know that saying you are the abbot is one of the quickest ways to get ejected from the monastery.
    Gene, many thanks for the info. Few days ago I read an article about Shi Deli and was curious how come about his claim of being martial abbot.
    Thanks again for your time

Quote Originally Posted by Songshan View Post
    I met Shi De Li back in 2003-2004 (maybe a year or two earlier). He was part of a Shaolin tour group that passed through Houston. I recall him being one of the group leaders but at no time did he present himself as "abbot". I think he was actually in a group from the official wushuguan.

Shi De Li was very interesting and found his knowledge of Shaolin to be very advanced. I remember sitting in his hotel room with a friend just listening to him speak. The Houston monks had also stopped by to visit the group Shi De Li was with. I have tried to get in touch with Shi De Li over the years but he travels a lot so its hard to reach him. I do know he does visit a kung fu school in Deleware or somewhere around there where he hosts seminars and such. He usually stops by there once or twice a year. I am not sure if its the same school that was advertising the seminar.

A few years ago, Shi De Li came through Houston again but it was strictly a religious stop. He had visited a Buddhist temple in Houston but was traveling with some kind of Buddhist "artifact" he was displaying or doing some type of pilgrimage with. I didn't get a chance to see him that time. I don't have any other info regarding the artifact but my friend seemed to know more about it than I did. If I get a chance I will try and get a photo up. I guess in closing if you think Shi De Li is "fake" there is no way that could be true. I am about as lost as Gene is regarding the abbot title. Maybe the media got it wrong or something.
    To be frank, I don't rashly judge people by their appearance or title, but what they're actually saying and doing. Whether ture or fake, he and his behaviors are against the tenet of a devout followers.
    Thank you for that info too, a photo would be ok. lol

Quote Originally Posted by hui View Post
    To be frank, I don't rashly judge people by their appearance or title, but what they're actually saying and doing. Whether ture or fake, he and his behaviors are against the tenet of a devout followers.
    Thank you for that info too, a photo would be ok. lol
    Tried to get a pic up but at that time I didn't own a digital camera. I only had the 35mm film type (yeah I know). I tried to take a picture of a picture but that didn't turn out too well either hehe.

I don't tend to judge people either, particularly Shaolin or its "monks". The martial monks of Shaolin are basically a subculture of its own. I use to revere the monks in a certain way that I thought they should be or behave. I found out years later that it is certainly not the case and that often they tend to develop their own path in life. For some of monks there is life beyond Shaolin Temple, wushu tours and kung fu. I think some of them want to get married, have children and raise a family or just live life. A few of them are chastised for not "disrobing" themselves in some way for living in what we think is a non monk lifestyle. For other monks they like to maintain the Shaolin connection and are very passionate about teaching kung fu even though they live normal lifestyles (driving cars, having a house, etc.). So just be wary of what behavior constitutes an infraction of the "tenets of devout followers". I think when people try to have too much control over things new and unexpected twists come up that are the opposite of what we think.

Tried to get a pic up but at that time I didn't own a digital camera. I only had the 35mm film type (yeah I know). I tried to take a picture of a picture but that didn't turn out too well either hehe.

I don't tend to judge people either, particularly Shaolin or its "monks". The martial monks of Shaolin are basically a subculture of its own. I use to revere the monks in a certain way that I thought they should be or behave. I found out years later that it is certainly not the case and that often they tend to develop their own path in life. For some of monks there is life beyond Shaolin Temple, wushu tours and kung fu. I think some of them want to get married, have children and raise a family or just live life. A few of them are chastised for not "disrobing" themselves in some way for living in what we think is a non monk lifestyle. For other monks they like to maintain the Shaolin connection and are very passionate about teaching kung fu even though they live normal lifestyles (driving cars, having a house, etc.). So just be wary of what behavior constitutes an infraction of the "tenets of devout followers". I think when people try to have too much control over things new and unexpected twists come up that are the opposite of what we think.
    Well said Songshan.

very thoughtful and insightful.
    I was wondering how to figure out a way of telling truth, freeing me from self arrogance and prejudice. Words inspired me..
    Namaste