Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for more traditional conditioning forms

Looking for more traditional conditioning forms

Greetings everyone,

Been lurking for a while, first post here. This might be better off in the Kung Fu Training and Health forum, but this forum seems to get a lot more traffic. Anyhow, a little background before I get to the point. My Sifu moved several years ago, and due to illness I was out of commission for the better part of two years. I'm halfway done with my second time doing the Arms Grabs program (the first was before my illness and I had lost almost all of the benefits of doing it after recovering), and I was wondering if anyone else could recommend any further traditional training methods and/or forms along the lined of the Arms Grabs program, ie, the moving tension type stuff. Since I have no one to train with now (most of my fellow students have moved away or stopped training altogether), I'm really focussing on conditioning, etc. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

there are several excersizes for this type of training, if you have no teacher you can learn from DVD alohough I hate that.
    another great way is kettlebell training for the whole body not just arms, this I find to be the best, and its soo good for you I have all my students doing it, although dynamic tension can be done without any monitary investment
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

I'm not a huge fan of learning from DVDs either, but with no reputable traditional schools around here (they're all bad TKD/Karate/Judo mixtures advertising as kung fu), I don't have much choice other than relocating my family. Are there any specific ones you can recommend and link for me to check out? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by SJGuy View Post
    Greetings everyone,

Been lurking for a while, first post here. This might be better off in the Kung Fu Training and Health forum, but this forum seems to get a lot more traffic. Anyhow, a little background before I get to the point. My Sifu moved several years ago, and due to illness I was out of commission for the better part of two years. I'm halfway done with my second time doing the Arms Grabs program (the first was before my illness and I had lost almost all of the benefits of doing it after recovering), and I was wondering if anyone else could recommend any further traditional training methods and/or forms along the lined of the Arms Grabs program, ie, the moving tension type stuff. Since I have no one to train with now (most of my fellow students have moved away or stopped training altogether), I'm really focussing on conditioning, etc. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
    Conditioning what?

Isometric/isotonic forms provide breath, strength and coordination work, but don't do a lot to condition as a regimen.

Unless that's what you mean by conditioning. You could take up yoga, it is very healthful and probably easy to access just about anywhere.

It is also highly preferable than trying to learn something from a dvd from scratch, out of a system with which you have no background with.

If you do have experience with the program you mention, is there no material on that available or brothers/sisters from that system you could hook up with nearby?

In my opinion, walk/run, do yoga, do some resistance training (weights/bands/bodywork). I mean, ya gotta work with where you're at right?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

This one's for you Gene,

http://www.martialartsmart.com/dvdk-at102.html

Support MAmart!

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Conditioning what?

Isometric/isotonic forms provide breath, strength and coordination work, but don't do a lot to condition as a regimen.

Unless that's what you mean by conditioning. You could take up yoga, it is very healthful and probably easy to access just about anywhere.

It is also highly preferable than trying to learn something from a dvd from scratch, out of a system with which you have no background with.

If you do have experience with the program you mention, is there no material on that available or brothers/sisters from that system you could hook up with nearby?

In my opinion, walk/run, do yoga, do some resistance training (weights/bands/bodywork). I mean, ya gotta work with where you're at right?
    Hi David,

I'm only looking for more strength training sets, things along the lines of the Arms Grabs program. It's been a very long time since I've last spoken to any of my training mates (just under 10 years), and I have no idea where any of them have gone to.

Arm Grabs program?

I am not good with names of stuff. Is this traditional strengthening program? What system is this from? Do you want just strength training? Be a little more specific on the parameters of what you were doing.

ginosifu

Greetings,

SJGuy,

Since your profile says you trained Shuai Shiao, why not train the basics from that? Cellular memory from your past training is something you should be tapping into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr7NlmQ1DTk

mickey

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    I am not good with names of stuff. Is this traditional strengthening program? What system is this from? Do you want just strength training? Be a little more specific on the parameters of what you were doing.

ginosifu
    Hi ginosifu,

The program is a traditional moving tension program for upper body and hand strength and was taught to me along with my shuai jiao. As for the history of it, I have no idea where it originally comes from.

Belt Cracking is good for grip strength. If you are a SC player then you probably have some good ole drills for strength / conditioning.

good stuff thanks mickey

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Greetings,

SJGuy,

Since your profile says you trained Shuai Shiao, why not train the basics from that? Cellular memory from your past training is something you should be tapping into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr7NlmQ1DTk

mickey
    Hi Mickey,

I've been training almost everything I know lately (it's been just over 3 months since I started training again), including belt cracking. Thanks for that link though, it'll be a good reference.

Hi ginosifu,

The program is a traditional moving tension program for upper body and hand strength and was taught to me along with my shuai jiao. As for the history of it, I have no idea where it originally comes from.
    I do not know of this program but, there are various other tension oriented / strength building / chi gung programs. Hung Gar has its Iron Wire, Bak Sil Lum has the Golden Bell. Any of these are available on the net and can enhance anyone training no matter whet your style.

ginosifu

I was under the impression that Iron Wire shouldn't be practiced without several years of Hung Gar training, so I wasn't considering Iron Wire. Do you think it's possible to reasonably learn it from a dvd?

I was under the impression that Iron Wire shouldn't be practiced without several years of Hung Gar training, so I wasn't considering Iron Wire. Do you think it's possible to reasonably learn it from a dvd?
    You can learn the basics from a DVD. You probably are not going save the Ming dynasty with your Iron Wire skills but if you can gain some strength, anything is good. There are good Iron blody programs out there you just have to find em.

ginosifu

Greetings everyone,

if you want to develop grabbing power, you may use some spring apparatus.

if you want to develop a stronger forearm or upper arm, as pointed out, some weigt training, such as curl up, lateral raise, row, push up, chin up etc

some stretching of the finger joints,

some rotation exercise around the wrist joint.

----