Thread: Shoes for flat, wide feet

Shoes for flat, wide feet

I have no arches and fairly wide feet. What is a good training shoe for kung fu?
    Last edited by MattEl; 11-26-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Hopefully you use a custom or quality set of orthotics to correct your fallen arches. These are the shoes I like to train with since they're very comfortable and light weight.
    http://www.martialartsmart.com/a90-sk.html

They don't offer any arch support on their own but they're fine after I slip in my orthotics.

Cool, thanks. Can you find these in stores where you can try them on or do you generally have to order them online?

Thumbs up Running shoes

visit a Podiatrist, they specialize in the care and treatment of the feet. Running shoes and inserts sold by stores like foot locker work very well.

A Podiatrist saved me from foot surgery with the advice of wearing running shoes with inserts in them, I wear running shoes all the time.

Good Luck.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    TCMA, or any other martial art, offers no solution for issues that need a podiatrist's expertise to answer.

That being said, you might try a skate shoe. Generally heavier built than so-called martial arts shoes they offer some arch support as well as good lateral support.

I finally decided that Samba's worked for me but while I have thick, wide feet I have good arches. The samba's don't offer much in the way of arch support but are better than the 'MA' shoes out there.

...and the first person that mentions FY's as being 'good' gets a punch in the throat...those things suck.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Greetings,

The image that I got of MattEl's feet was like that of the Polynesians: thick, wide, and fleshy.

Have you tried/considered wrestling shoes?

There is also a new shoe out that looks like a foot.. pockets for each toe. I don't have the name in my head.

mickey

Thumbs up Arch support

Quote Originally Posted by MattEl View Post
    I have no arches and fairly wide feet. What is a good training shoe for kung fu?
    a Podiatrist specializes in such things as arch support for our feet, standing or walking without arch support is improper let alone practicing Martial Arts without proper arch support.

Quote Originally Posted by MattEl View Post
    Cool, thanks. Can you find these in stores where you can try them on or do you generally have to order them online?
    As the others have stated, it's best to visit a podiatrist as they can make a custom set of orthotics for your particular need. The majority of inserts sold on store shelves are not very effective since they're flimsy and not designed for your particular foot and condition.

Having fallen arches puts a lot of misaligned pressure onto your patella and intense legwork training could cause you to develop patella femoral syndrome which would cause your knee cap to rub against your femur. This results in pain, discomfort and swelling.

Thanks for the suggestions. For now I'll have to hold off on the podiatrist. No insurance and only working part-time.

I'll get some Superfeet inserts and try different types of wrestling shoes I guess. Feiyues were painful. On the other hand my friend wears them on the street and when he trains.

Blog Entries
    New Balance has 3E, 4E, and 6E for wide feet.

http://www.wideshoes.com/catalog.cfm...alance_running

Thumbs up Good advice

Good advice - Rolling Fist, -

however with no insurance and part time work, you should consider - U Know Who's - advice and pick up some shoes from New Balance. New Balance makes very good shoes.

I suggested running shoes because my feet are wide, flat, and my arches were getting weak. The Podiatrist I went to explained to me Running Shoes offer very good arch support, with regular inserts from a store like New Balance ( their inserts are of good quality). He empasized running shoes only. The pain in my foot is gone , I got my strength back, and that was a few years ago.

You will find some pretty well informed people on this forum, thanks Rollin Fist and You know who for offering help.

I have flat feet too. I went to a local Athlete's Foot here in Vegas where the manager did a bunch of tests to see how bad they were and I walked on them. From there, he was able to find the right pair of shoes for me. They took a bit to get used to, but now they're great.

Some people that have flat, wide feet do not have fallen arches. They are born without arches period. As a young man I must have seen most of the foot doctors in the area trying to find something to help my feet. I leave duck tracks on wet places when barefooted. I have never had an arch. I have found that attempting to build up an arch will hurt worse than anything else, so I stopped trying. I have found that the cheaper tennis shoes or sneakers work the best. Just go to wally world and try on everything they have. You will find something.

I have a simlar issue. Many of the martial arts shoes feel like paper under my feet. I'm 6'1, 225. Flat feet and wide.
    I agree the Samba shoes are cool and I also like skate shoes..although they are a bit heavy. Good for training though...

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I have a student who has the same issue. He cannot wear the feiyue's either, as they are not wide enough, so he had to buy other sneakers in his width.
    (I require the students to wear feiyue's, (which, BTW, they order from martialartsmart)as the sole does not mark up our floor-Zebra mats woodgrain)
    btw-anyone know how to get black skuffmarks off a zebra mat?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.