Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shuai Chiao for mma

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The TCMA guideline is "If your opponent's weight is on the front leg, you attack low. If your oppponent's weight is on the back leg, you attack high". The reason is simple. If your opponent has less weight on his front leg, it will be very easy for him to pull his leading leg back and lead your shooting into the "emptiness". This is very important guideline in CMA. I'm not sure wrestlers folllow this guideline. It seems to me that they like to attack low no matter how their opponrnt's weight distributation may be. Does wrestler use "head lock" at all?
    lol yes wrestlers use upper body takedowns as well as lower body takedowns, and they occasionally use head locks but like we have discussed before with out a jacket they are not that high percentage a move, since the shot covers about 10 feet they dont really care about weight distribution if you step back ill simply take a single or just blow through you and keep on doing the double

you see more doubles in mma because
    a) its easy to attack the legs when someones hands are up high throwing punches
    b)most none wrestlers cant really defend the shot that well

http://cdn3.iofferphoto.com/img/item...TzUh7ZXKOM.jpg

The professional wrestling use "head lock". Are professional wrestling and American wrestling the same thing?
    no becAUSE ONE IS REAL AND ONE FAKE

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    Mutant
    can you eleborate on this? I find it difficult to perform most of the throws in SC as they are executed from a joint lock or the lead in is hard to present based on the hinderences and non comittle approach of your opponent. In a MMA setting or a tied up situation that doesnt happned very often exepct for chan tui, ya tiao or twai dung. Please understand I have been doing and teaching SC for some years so its not like I dont know how to throw. thanks in advance
    Hello sure, don't know how much I can really explain via the interweb but I'll give it a go.

The throws end up being nasty but not necessarily illegal. We might cross someones arms up for example and and instead of isolating for a break would go hard enough to throw with them in a bad position but not try to break joints or do it in a way that would present it as a standing joint lock into a throw, but flow right into the takedown in a legal way. Or instead of spiking someone on their head in a faster than gravity throw for example, just adjust it to be a tough throw but more reasonable for competition and within the rules. So instead of focusing on really taking someone out through all stages of a technique, use the elements that would be ultra-violent to instead add extra trapping and control and flowing into throws and takedowns, or back into strikes. Then depending on the rules, whether its pro or amateur, can apply these with varying degrees of nasty. Most people including judges wouldn't necessarily see much of the details of standing clinch range infighting and may not see if you apply something in setting up a throw thats a bit outside the box anyway. A lot of the same ideas behind the throws/takedowns some of us San Shou gyms have done for years, but in MMA format you can utilize that much more from CMA really.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianK View Post
    Thats cool, so are any of these people actively competing?
    Yes sure we are, in fact our guy Kin who came up through our system was just ranked number 1 amateur in his weight class in New England (northeastmma.net and sherdog) and will go pro soon with expectation that he'll be making waves in UFC within a couple years or so, and we have plenty of other guys winning and heading pro as well.

Here he is (white shorts) taking out one of Sityotong/Delagrote's best MMA prospects who was very hyped and being scouted by WEC at this event:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/KinKongM.../0/reJy8vaSW3E

Hey look at that! When CMA fighters fight, it looks like... fighting! :-)
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    you see more doubles in mma because
    a) its easy to attack the legs when someones hands are up high throwing punches
    b)most none wrestlers cant really defend the shot that well
    I agree that most none wrestlers can't handle a good leg shooting. It doesn't mean that leg shooting is bullet proof though. When your opponent punches at you, you will have a lot of chance to "wrap" his arm and apply "head lock", "under hook", or "over hook". Boxers do "under hook" and "over hook" a lot so they can rest for a while until the referee separates them apart. I have always believed that "head lock", "under hook", and "over hook" are much safer than leg/legs shooting. At least you don't have to expose your head under your opponents knee, elbow, or punch. It all depends on how much training time that you have invested in certain area.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-10-2010 at 10:55 PM.

I agree that most none wrestlers can't handle a good leg shooting. It doesn't mean that leg shooting is bullet proof though. When your opponent punches at you, you will have a lot of chance to "wrap" his arm and apply "head lock", "under hook", or "over hook". Boxers do "under hook" and "over hook" a lot so they can rest for a while until the referee separates them apart. I have always believed that "head lock", "under hook", and "over hook" are much safer than leg/legs shooting. At least you don't have to expose your head under your opponents knee, elbow, or punch. It all depends on how much training time that you have invested in certain area.
    yeah but thats boxing.... in mma the clinch is a valid range... you can do alot of damage trading with over-unders... as for the double, you can hit that from the clinch too... if you put a more experienced wrestler in a headlock, get ready to go for a ride...

Yep boxers use under and overs, but boxers are normally moving forwards because both the clinch and the takedown dont normally happen or matter, in mma you are hitting and moving because as a striked you dont want to be clinched

you can normally only wrap the arms in mma when you are in clinch range, reaching to wrap means you are going to get hit hard, most clinch in MMA happens either when against the fence or after a failed leg attack...why because otherwise its too measy for the guy to move back

thats why you see the double so much, it covers a lot of ground so its hard for the opponent to actually escape it, and even if he stuffs the takedown you are normally into a ground or clinch game, which is what you want. its not bullet proof but its a good way of cutting distance and getting to the clinch

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    yeah but thats boxing.... in mma the clinch is a valid range... you can do alot of damage trading with over-unders... as for the double, you can hit that from the clinch too... if you put a more experienced wrestler in a headlock, get ready to go for a ride...
    true unders and overs are a 50 50 position in MMA either guy can hurt the other, and it normally happens up agaisnt the cage otherwise its too easy to escape

headlocks can also get your back taken very easily especially without a gi and all sweaty

yep doubles can be hit from anywhere, and the number of guys hit whilst attempting the shot is probably less than the number hit trying to enter with an upper body clinch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    as a striked you dont want to be clinched
    Ever a strike will have to commit on his punch soon or later. He just can't always move back.

Ever a strike will have to commit on his punch soon or later. He just can't always move back.
    nope but lateral movement, heavy straight punches and good footwork are a nightmare to get through