Thread: What do you do when you're punch drunk?

What do you do when you're punch drunk?

Anybody put any thought into what type of basic defense mechanism they'd fall back on if they took a hard shot to the head and were trying to fight through a fog?

I just rewatched MI3 the other day and it got me into thinking about this scenario... in this clip he's using KFM http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAKTr-UqQCY , but it resembles a basic drill for beginning strikers that we do.

So, have you thought about the possibility of not being invulnerable and come up with a basic basic fall back plan B?
    Last edited by MightyB; 11-27-2010 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling

The ringer.

with luck, you're not concussed.

breath and keep your hands up.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    The ringer.

with luck, you're not concussed.

breath and keep your hands up.
    yeah but what if your doing a full on pumpkin dance... aside from keeping your balance and not falling flat on your face, i would do my best to keep some distance and recover or go right inside and hold on for a sec... but its hard to grapple when your equilibrium is off... esspecially standing... it really depends on where you are, who your fighting, how many etc etc etc... i mean, i would never stall by holding on against multiple opponents... if it was like 3 cats, i'd prolly start lashing out like a wounded animal... just get in it to win it... and hopefully you dont get murdered...

If you're concussed, you won't recover during the fight.

If you are just ringing, keep your hands up, breath and give it a 1/2 minute to recover.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

If you're concussed, you won't recover during the fight.

If you are just ringing, keep your hands up, breath and give it a 1/2 minute to recover.
    not to say you'd lose tho... in a one on one... its not very often, but every now and again somebody gets caught going in for the kill...

my fav example is from an mma match... scott smith and pete sell was awesome... smith took a hard body shot and was hurt bad... sell came in wild and got tapped in the jaw... although if it had been a street fight, who knows, coz sell even tho he got knocked out and smith was always concious, sell recovered right away after the fight whereas smith was prolly carried out... cant remember, but he prolly broke his floaters... i know thats not a head shot, but i still love it...

but yeah, being concussed doesnt mean your done... esspecially in life or death... no giving up right...

and there is that area of grey...

ive beeb hurt alot, but never so much as from a liver kick... that i will never forget... its such a different type of loss of control... much scarier... your all there... with a ko you usually dont even realise ur hurt... with the body shot, your all there while ur body shuts down on ya...

i remeber forrest girffin mentioning "spin drills" in BB magazine. If i recall correctly he was implying youre spinned around ina circle until your dizzy and off balance and youre attacked by your sparring partner and try the best you can to defend yourself

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    i remeber forrest girffin mentioning "spin drills" in BB magazine. If i recall correctly he was implying youre spinned around ina circle until your dizzy and off balance and youre attacked by your sparring partner and try the best you can to defend yourself
    i like that... just spin your friend around like 40 times till they turn green then hit em with a hard double... sounds like good times to me... aslong as nobody pukes on me...

i step out of the car, put one hand on my head and the other hand rub my stomach counterclockwise while standing on one leg saying "rubber bug baby bumpers"

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    i step out of the car, put one hand on my head and the other hand rub my stomach counterclockwise while standing on one leg saying "rubber bug baby bumpers"
    i thought it was rubber baby buggy bumpers!?!?

The term we used in boxing to recover is "shining." It basically involves throwing tight uppercuts and hooks until you can recover enough to either clinch or bounce out and create distance.

Sometimes in class we spin guys until they are dizzy and make them fight out of it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Zangief's spinning clothesline.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Sometimes in class we spin guys until they are dizzy and make them fight out of it.
    hey, great suggestion...

oh and totally unrelated, about your quote... i was going thru some news stories the other day and came across this pro gay but anti NAMBLA story... seems that walt whittman is NAMBLAS poster guy... i didnt even know walt whittman was gay, let alone down for young boys... thouroughly dissapointing... after that i did a bit of digging(multiple sources) and theres a good chance that its true... i came across alotta other names i didnt expect either... real nice huh...

next thing we're gonna hear something crazy like some famous president slave owner had black kids or something...

breath and keep your hands up
    That's been my experience. I had to do the army's clinch drill recently:

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...02cb654decc8a2

and got drilled hard enough a couple of times to lose my sense of direction but I kept my head and hands up and managed to do ok.

Cool idea for the spinning drill, thanks!

Anyone here actually been knocked out, fighting or otherwise? As a little kid I was once, got one concussion years later, but the second didn't affect me severely, wobbly legs for a brief time, I could see where MK's uppercuts would be a good plan to pass the time.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons