Thread: FUK MMA.....even Santa knows gung fu...

Blog Entries

FUK MMA.....even Santa knows gung fu...

Hung Sing Boyz, we gottit on lock down
    when he's around quick to ground and pound a clown
    Bruh we thought you knew better
    when it comes to head huntin, ain't no one can do it better

Gotta respect that Northern Pole style.

What an odd lianbuquan

nice kick tho.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

A little late, but who knew this thread would have more life?

There's a vid behind the link, but I didn't watch it.

Meet North Texas’s Banjo-Making, Inked-Up, Kung-Fu Santa Claus
    POSTED 5:38 PM, DECEMBER 28, 2016, BY CHRIS SKUPIEN

OVILLA, TEXAS -- Ever wonder what Santa Claus does once the presents are all delivered and Christmas is over?

Well, meet Chuck Lee. Chuck is a professional Santa Claus, at least during the Christmas season.

But now, he says, "All my attire is at the cleaners and for me, the Santa season's over."

Yep, for Santa Chuck, it's back to the workshop. He runs the Chuck Lee Banjo Company out of his backyard!

And it's kind of a big deal.

"We've built 748 instruments so far," Lee told NewsFix. "And we have instruments all over the world."

"I'm part of the Smithsonian Banjo Makers series. I'm internationally famous, and no one knows who I am in my daily travels."

Lee, a self-professed introvert, says he doesn't mind the lack of recognition, or being mistaken for Santa Claus year-round.

Though, he says there's some disagreement over whether his arm tattoos are naughty or nice.

"Some families, that's a concern for them," said Lee. "A lot of people, it's like 'oh no, Santa's cool!'"

And speaking of cool Santa, get this: Lee's even active in kung fu! He's a student in an adult class, and helps teach a class for kids.

Man, kung-fu Santa... Now there's a reason to stay off the naughty list!

For the most part though, Chuck's next ten months will be spent focusing on his world-class banjo business.

Said Lee: "I'll be in this workshop most of the time between now and October."

After that, it'll be time to put on that red suit yet again, and get back to his other job: making kids smile.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Woah. A two-fer!

Well, sort of. This article collates some seasonal Siberian vids. I only c&ped the Kung Fu Bison.

Move Over, Rudolph: Siberia Has Drag-Racing Reindeer and Kung Fu Bison
    Written by
    BECKY FERREIRA
    CONTRIBUTOR
    December 24, 2016 // 10:00 AM EST

Image: Siberian Times/Artem But

The holidays have their own menagerie of iconic animals, from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer to that random sheep that shows up in nearly every nativity scene. But this year, as a change of pace, we are nominating some fresh new animal icons, sourced from one of the most under-rated corners of the internet: The YouTube Channel of The Siberian Times, a Moscow-based organization that covers Siberian news.

As it turns out, Siberia is packed with animals that, by all rights, should have already starred in their own holiday movies at this point in time. The Times’ video playlist spotlights cuddly wild kittens and hibernation-bound bears, along with other Siberian-specific oddities like spontaneous snowball creation, subterranean methane bubbles, and the alleged world’s largest sawdust dump.

To spread the good word, we rounded up our top five favorite animals featured from the page; each of them is at least as charismatic enough to rival Rudolph and his North Pole ilk. For more, check out this gem of a YouTube channel for yourself, which is summed up beautifully by publication’s slogan: “What happens in Siberia stays in Siberia—unless it's covered by The Siberian Times!”

5. Vasya the Confused Flamingo

Video: Siberian Times/Khramtsov Alexey
    Motherboard’s Sarah Emerson recently reported on a confused flamingo, nicknamed Vasya, who ended up in Siberia after wandering thousands of miles off course on his migratory route from Kazakhstan to the Arabian peninsula. The bird was found and rescued by local children near the village of Motygino in Siberia’s Krasnoyarsk region. He recuperated after warming up and feasting on some shrimp. Classic Vasya.

4. Swinging Bear

Video: Siberian Times/Artem But
    Pretty self-explanatory. This bear has a hobby and will not quit, no matter how many onlookers lament the reality of bears taking over the streets of Siberia. “They even go swinging!” one woman declares towards the end of the video. But the bear swings on, in what is perhaps the most Siberian thing ever captured on film.

3. Semyon the Frozen-Footed Cat

Video: Siberian Times/Sergey Baranov
    Trapped outside in minus 35 degrees Celsius temperatures, an intrepid cat in the Siberian town of Zlatoust hid underneath a car to ride out a winter storm. Unfortunately, all four of his paws become completely encased in ice while he waited for the cold to pass. When the owners of the vehicle found the poor animal, nicknamed Semyon, it took seven buckets of warm water to release him from his frigid manacles. According to The Siberian Times, Semyon recovered and has been adopted.

2. Drag-Racing Reindeer

Video: Siberian Times/Victor Sukhomlin
    Siberian reindeer are way too badass to be harnessed to some magical flying sleigh. They’d much rather drag-race cars on the highway, as captured by this drive-by shot of a herd of deer completely dominating an entire lane of traffic.

1. Kung Fu Bison

Video: Siberian Times
    Last but certainly not least, enjoy the martial arts stylings of the one-and-only Kung Fu Bison of Pleistocene Park, a wilderness reserve north-east of Yakutia. Not content to have inbuilt horned weapons on its head, the bison is practicing its moves with a makeshift staff. As we say good riddance to 2016 and look on to 2017, Kung Fu Bison reminds us all to dream big.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More on Chuck Lee, Kung Fu Santa

Kung Fu Santa is an odd self-promotion tactic, but I like what Lee says with his spokes-platform.

There's an embedded vid too.
    New Year, New You: Why this Santa learned Kung Fu
    Bradley Blackburn, WFAA 11:12 AM. CST January 10, 2017

OVILLA -- It's not an image you forget -- Santa throwing punches and practicing Kung Fu. But for Chuck Lee, it's just as real as his white beard.

"You can be big, but you can be healthy. And you can be strong," said Lee.

He is quite possibly the most interesting Santa in the world, and he's ready to motivate anyone on a quest to get healthy.

Lee, 59, has played Santa for the last six years. During the holiday season it's a full-time job, but he retains the Santa look year-round. He keeps his very real white beard, and he favors round-framed eyeglasses.

But outside the red suit, he has a whole other life.

He's an accomplished banjo builder, handcrafting instruments in his home workshop in Ovilla.

"We've built 748 instruments to date, and we have instruments all over the world," said Lee.

A few years ago, Lee took up martial arts as a last resort. His knees and back were failing, and he walked with a cane. Doctors said he would need surgery. But then, someone suggested he try Tai Chi.

"Within a few weeks, I put my cane down and I never used it again after that," said Lee. "And a few weeks later, I said to the instructor, 'You have a Kung Fu class. Do you think I could do Kung Fu?"

Now Lee is working on his black belt. He's in the gym five days a week working, doing exercises, and iron bone training, where he strengthens his bones by rolling heavy metal bars on his shins and punches into bags filled with stones.

The regimen has changed everything for him.

"I've never felt better," said Lee. "And the whole process began to make me a different person from the inside out. I became a gentler, kinder, more thoughtful and more helpful person -- I learned deadly martial arts!"

Lee has also lost 60 pounds, and he hopes to lose 50 more.

"That's the figure I would like to present to children. I want to show them a healthy side," he said.

He helps teach a Kung Fu class for kids two days a week, who take punches at Santa and can't believe it.

Lee says that no matter your age, he has the same lesson for anyone who seeks to improve their health in the new year.

"What I tell children when they're sitting on my lap," he said. "I believe in you, and I know you can have success."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips