Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Real Skills We are Losing Because of Modern Times

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Hmmm...
    The most obivious are the ones we no longer need on a daily basis such as hunting and farming.
    We do need hunting. Wildlife management is a neccesity.
    Speaking of hunting, I was in the mountains in the woods, rifle and day pack, and tripped. I had to fold in and do a shuai jiao fall. I got up unscathed, and continued on my way.
    So, stances and shuai jiao falling are needed hunting skills...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    Speaking of hunting, I was in the mountains in the woods, rifle and day pack, and tripped. I had to fold in and do a shuai jiao fall. I got up unscathed, and continued on my way.
    meh, you were tripped by a squirrel trained in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Really? you NEED to hunt for food?
    So I guess you also have a farm? maybe a ranch?
    Dude...
    You know what I mean, we don't need to hunt for our food, we go to the grocer or the butcher.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Really? you NEED to hunt for food?
    So I guess you also have a farm? maybe a ranch?
    Dude...
    You know what I mean, we don't need to hunt for our food, we go to the grocer or the butcher.
    ok, fine. Then I was at the butcher, wearing my day pack and rifle....
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

ok, fine. Then I was at the butcher, wearing my day pack and rifle....
    To be honest I am glad I don't have to hunt, I don't have it in me to kill an animal.
    I know that if I had to I would, but still, I am happy I don't have to.

We're losing wude

One of the major contributing factors to the decline of wude is the web. Online forums like this, as well as social networks, are not edited and minimally policed. That's good and bad. It's great that anyone can have their say, but most people are rather poor writers - or perhaps better put, they have weak communication skills. In the past, this would be filtered out, because it took more time and energy to publish things in print. There was an editorial process and distribution factors. But now, with everyone able to voice their opinions, there's a lot more noise to signal. And in that process, one of our most important signals, wude, gets lost.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    One of the major contributing factors to the decline of wude is the web. Online forums like this, as well as social networks, are not edited and minimally policed. That's good and bad. It's great that anyone can have their say, but most people are rather poor writers - or perhaps better put, they have weak communication skills. In the past, this would be filtered out, because it took more time and energy to publish things in print. There was an editorial process and distribution factors. But now, with everyone able to voice their opinions, there's a lot more noise to signal. And in that process, one of our most important signals, wude, gets lost.
    You've lost me Boss...
    How does editing one's views or having them edited by another equal Wude ?

To be honest I am glad I don't have to hunt, I don't have it in me to kill an animal.
    I know that if I had to I would, but still, I am happy I don't have to.
    Dude, me too, but I think you and me both have it in us to eat that animal if it's dressed and prepared for us.

In my eyes, we should learn to hunt, kill and dress an animal if we are going to eat meat so that we fully understand what it means to consume that.

As a former hunter, I get this and I am not savvy down with people who protest hunting while eating food that comes off of factory farms. That happens a lot! lol

I feel the same lesson in what it takes to grow and prepare a garden vegetable would be invaluable for a kid growing up. Probably eat their broccoli if they had to do the work of growing it.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

You've lost me Boss...
    How does editing one's views or having them edited by another equal Wude ?
    He's not saying that. He's saying that with open forums you get crapheads dropping in and shouting at people who have years of experience in a given field of study.

typically, nobody should have to deal with some little twerp, anonymously being a little jerk towards that person.

If someone walked into a church community on sunday and started shouting loudly about how great satan was and how stupid everyone in the church was for what they were doing, I"m pretty sure that little creep would get edited out of the church pretty quickly despite the christian love angle.

the same applies here or anywhere else. People lose their patience with churls and when it happens enough, you eventually lose your wude and start crushing them where you can as the ****roaches they are.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    He's not saying that. He's saying that with open forums you get crapheads dropping in and shouting at people who have years of experience in a given field of study.

typically, nobody should have to deal with some little twerp, anonymously being a little jerk towards that person.

If someone walked into a church community on sunday and started shouting loudly about how great satan was and how stupid everyone in the church was for what they were doing, I"m pretty sure that little creep would get edited out of the church pretty quickly despite the christian love angle.

the same applies here or anywhere else. People lose their patience with churls and when it happens enough, you eventually lose your wude and start crushing them where you can as the ****roaches they are.
    Ok, what is wude again ??

Concisely it is "martial virtue" but in the parts and points of it, it is about being an upright person of good character, actions and repute. To be a gentleman if you will in spite of your knowledge of how to kill, maim or otherwise ruin someone's life with the violence you have come to study and understand.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

a small baby cow that just born and not opened its eyes yet resembling a purple eggplant

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    Concisely it is "martial virtue" but in the parts and points of it, it is about being an upright person of good character, actions and repute. To be a gentleman if you will in spite of your knowledge of how to kill, maim or otherwise ruin someone's life with the violence you have come to study and understand.
    IF that is WUDE, then how does one NOT h ave wude if they can't deal with *******s?
    I would think the every embodiment of WUDE is the ability to deal with *******s in a civil manner, so by being exposed to "unadulterated *******s" our WUDE is truly tested far more than under the facade of civility.

wude = martial etiquette

Basically, when anyone can post, people who have not been schooled in proper etiquette (or people who just can't express themselves within a prescribed code), you get crap posts. Back before communication was so accessible, you'd have to go through channels to publish and distribute your writings (or rantings as the case maybe). That weeded out a lot of noise.

Now it's mostly noise. And the noise drowns out the wude. The basic tenets of any code of etiquette are decorum and propriety. That's all lost in a noisy place. In a noisy place, it becomes all about who yells the loudest.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Basically, when anyone can post, people who have not been schooled in proper etiquette (or people who just can't express themselves within a prescribed code), you get crap posts. Back before communication was so accessible, you'd have to go through channels to publish and distribute your writings (or rantings as the case maybe). That weeded out a lot of noise.

Now it's mostly noise. And the noise drowns out the wude. The basic tenets of any code of etiquette are decorum and propriety. That's all lost in a noisy place. In a noisy place, it becomes all about who yells the loudest.
    Perhaps but it seems that in this case noise = honesty.
    Blatant and sometimes uncivil, but at least honest expression of how people feel.
    Sometimes we have to get dirty before we get clean.