Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to increase Punching Power

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu
    Wing Chun is suspose to have short range power? How do you train this? How do you develop short power?

What are some things you guys do?

***WHAT AN IDIOT!!!

Wrong question, please...It's a good question, and obviously one you have no real answer to - which is why you made such a dumb remark.

Why don't you SHOW the forum how you go about developing power?

No, don't direct us to go visit someone else or watch someone else's vid - you show us.

Post a vid.
    He learnt his power punching from a boxercise class run by a professional fighter

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Brilliant. Do one thing to develop another. Typical.

Illogical response. I practiced punching 1000s of times every day and reached a platue with speed and power. Pole techniques have developed my fast twitch fibres and taking punching to a different level.

More fool you for silo mentality ;-)

Boxers in training develop their punching power from bagwork.

A typical schedule for a boxer could look something like this:

MWF - 3x3:00 rounds mitt work
    MWF - 3x3:00 rounds heavy bag
    TTh - 3x3:00 speed bag / other bags
    TTh - 3x3:00 rounds against an opponent / training partner

This actually is taken from a friend's program for jr. boxers - teenagers. They start to scale it up as to number of rounds as the boxer progresses.

Punching power is a combination that includes speed and accuracy too - you can't take it out of context. If someone is so slow they never connect you don't have power in a fighting context.

All the work is supervised and someone corrects form, footwork, on all the rounds.

I'm posting this because someone brought up that Western boxers had the greatest measured punch strength. They develop it by doing some of the above type of sport training method development. I was watching an interview with Freddie Roach the other day who trains Manny Pacquiao and GSP. Manny worked 18 rounds straight mitt work with little break. So by the pro level those numbers are significantly greater than what is posted above.

When you train this way it also is a cardio and strength workout.

This represents a sport training approach, as opposed to some methods posted such as working with a spear, doing forms, etc. While it may be possible to get some results doing other things like that, the above type method produces results that are measured to be the greatest.

VT's way of making power is found in the forms...

VT uses body alignment (aligning the joints) body unity (the body working as one connected mass--a hammer) to drive the nail (the arm) into the opponent in sudden abrupt shocks of short power..the horse generator must be in sync with the arms, the nail, the striking... This is typically not seen and instead we see people walking or "running" into the opponent while doing the classic eggbeater (chain punches).

The main generator for doing this is the horse, the legs, the "blue print" for the mechanics is in the forms.. Once you know the correct mechanics the best way to train it is to do it...not by doing something else..

Making your "muscles bigger" (for a 'small woman's art') is not a "good answer" because without knowing the correct method it won't help to any useful degree.
    Last edited by YungChun; 12-03-2010 at 08:45 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Jim, I don't think anyone would advocate strength over technique. In the learning/development phase, the teacher should correct the student to ensure they are not using strength before technique.

However, once you have technique then having more body mass behind your punch cannot be a bad thing unless you sacrifice dexterity and mobility to develop it.

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    Jim, I don't think anyone would advocate strength over technique. In the learning/development phase, the teacher should correct the student to ensure they are not using strength before technique.

However, once you have technique then having more body mass behind your punch cannot be a bad thing unless you sacrifice dexterity and mobility to develop it.
    We can see clearly from posts and videos that no one (or precious few) have any VT body power technique..... "Strength training" hardly addresses this problem or how specifically VT generates power.

So you "increase power" by not powering your VT striking (mainly) with your arms...and instead from the body..
    Last edited by YungChun; 12-03-2010 at 08:57 AM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun View Post

VT uses body alignment (aligning the joints) body unity (the body working as one connected mass--a hammer) to drive the nail (the arm) into the opponent in sudden abrupt shocks of short power..the horse generator must be in sync with the arms, the nail, the striking... This is typically not seen and instead we see people walking or "running" into the opponent while doing the classic eggbeater (chain punches).

The main generator for doing this is the horse, the legs, the "blue print" for the mechanics is in the forms..
    The forms have the blue print, but without supervision many can practice forms without learning the power generation. But it is true that for WCK you need to learn that method of power generation.
    Once you know the correct mechanics the best way to train it is to do it...not by doing something else..
    IMO "doing it" is represented by the sports training approach and method, not by forms.
    Making your "muscles bigger" (for a 'small woman's art') is not a "good answer" because without knowing the correct method it won't help to any useful degree.
    It is a common fallacy that sport specific training is about "making muscles bigger". It is about increasing functional strength in a specific endeavor. So for example, a bodybuilding approach to lifting is not going to produce the same punching power as the bagwork example I detailed above.

We can see clearly from posts and videos that no one (or precious few) have any VT body power technique..... "Strength training" hardly addresses this problem or how specifically VT generates power.

So you "increase power" by not powering your VT striking (mainly) with your arms...and instead from the body..
    If you have the technique then having more strength couldn't hurt.

I agree you don't want to just arm punch. Power should come from the lower body (horse) i.e. the legs. You need strong core muscles to stabilize the delivery of the power to the upper body and out through the arms. Each link add a bit. Strength and timing is important IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    . I was watching an interview with Freddie Roach the other day who trains Manny Pacquiao and GSP.
    I've seen pics of Amir Khan with the same S&C coach as Manny Pac...hitting a heavy bag with a baseball bat

The main generator for doing this is the horse, the legs, the "blue print" for the mechanics is in the forms.. Once you know the correct mechanics the best way to train it is to do it...not by doing something else..

I agree with you 100% Jimmy!!! See I'm not all bad!!!

oh hang on......96%....its not a small womans art!! Thats a myth!!

How's the weather in NYC??? Bet its cold Allllllllllllllllll righty then!!!

GH

Quote Originally Posted by Graham H View Post
    I agree with you 100% Jimmy!!! See I'm not all bad!!!

oh hang on......96%....its not a small womans art!! Thats a myth!!

How's the weather in NYC??? Bet its cold Allllllllllllllllll righty then!!!

GH
    Well then I'd have to wonder why PB is constantly seen firing off hyper-speed de-linked chain punches out of sync with his horse.....using momentum to compensate..
    Last edited by YungChun; 12-03-2010 at 12:09 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu View Post
    Wing Chun is suspose to have short range power? How do you train this? How do you develop short power?

It starts, but does not end with siu nim tao.

Quote Originally Posted by jeetsao View Post
    It starts, but does not end with siu nim tao.
    On second thought, it starts and ends with siu nim tao.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatewingchun View Post
    Originally Posted by Yoshiyahu

***WHAT AN IDIOT!!!

Wrong question, please...It's a good question, and obviously one you have no real answer to - which is why you made such a dumb remark.

Why don't you SHOW the forum how you go about developing power?

No, don't direct us to go visit someone else or watch someone else's vid - you show us.

Post a vid.
    That's his M.O. parrot obvious sound advice about basic training techniques and down play his lack of understanding of the fundamentals of fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by HumbleWCGuy View Post
    That's his M.O. parrot obvious sound advice about basic training techniques and down play his lack of understanding of the fundamentals of fighting.
    Yeah, the balls to offer sound advice...and even art specific advice...

Don't let him fool you though......

Just ignore him and instead listen to all the dumb ass advice and ideas that are so plentiful....as we see above...
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F