Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What makes a MA website better than others?

What makes a MA website better than others?

I was surfing the other day on martial arts websites and I came across some really nicely put together sites... I also came across some cheesy ones. So my questions are ...
    1 what website do you like alot (please list)
    2.what makes for a good MA website better than others
    3. what makes a website cheesy IYO
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

IMHO a good website is cheap, doesn't require me to do any work, updates itself automatically, never has bugs, and only attracts the kind of people I want to train with.

...Or you can look at the Pak Mei Holland website.

If they had an Extranet on it, I couldn't imaging how it could be better. Maybe they do, but I haven't noticed.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

the pakmei.nl site is a well designed framed site that has information only. elements of flash.

it's a solid offering, but nothing slick about it seo wise.

If you were to have a website, that functioned as a content management system, and used rss feeds and various other bits of script and code that made it easy for bots to crawl it and index it then that's what you want.

Content is king. A website in and of itself is a shell. If you have content that is fresh, topical and regularly updated, you will get good ranking on the article titles and subtitles in your site.

Running a forum and blogs along with your information, articles and archive from a preferred private domain will get you up in the rankings quick and you can get your message or product out quickly.

you can be as aggressive as you like.

It really depends on what you want to use the technology for as a tool.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    IMHO a good website is cheap, doesn't require me to do any work, updates itself automatically, never has bugs, and only attracts the kind of people I want to train with.

...Or you can look at the Pak Mei Holland website.

If they had an Extranet on it, I couldn't imaging how it could be better. Maybe they do, but I haven't noticed.
    yeah that site is soooo well done... i love the lineage charts...

isnt one of the students from that school here on kfm??? was it olaf???
    Last edited by Syn7; 11-20-2010 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    it's a solid offering, but nothing slick about it seo wise.
    ??? is that a typo or what?? not trying to b!tch you out, just curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    ??? is that a typo or what?? not trying to b!tch you out, just curious...
    I think he means in terms of search engine rankings and bringing traffic to the site. Not sure why he thinks a private vs. public domain is better, though.

Not to mention the fact that some of the scripts seem to break on Firefox and the site is not standards compliant.

SEO=Search Engine Optimisation

@ David - SEO? Ever googled "Pak Mei"

You are dead right about the NL site, they should certainly score higher for their content, they hardly rate.

@ ED, A little flash won't hurt if used properly. You can do fancy navigation as long as there is alternative standard navigation ( like a footer site walk), and your key content is still in text.

Flash is tricky resource, some people rely on it too much. Reserve it for illustrative images or animations that you can tag with "Alternative text", not for a complete page, or worse, a self contained web application.

Whatever you do, make sure YOU know how to control its use and can edit it, move it to other servers or sub contractors. A simple site you use cheap and easy is much better than a fancy site you can't afford to approach.

Lots of web services come with open source content management systems you can install with a click of a button, Template driven. Same with newsgroups, forums, mailing lists, etc.

Check out some of the articles here, there's a link to a good article on 50 good websites, and it breaks them down.

http://interactive-marketing.info/blog/
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

seo = search engine optimization
    Kung Fu is good for you.

seo = search engine optimization
    What does private vs. public have to do with SEO?

thanks everyone, well thats my thing I have a guy who does this trafficing to your site, who used to work for google, but I really need to redesignn mine cuz its outdated.

I hear the internet is where ppl look nowadays insted of the local phone book, but seems like locally is the only traffic I wish to attact.

Its cool if someone likes my site but if their in virginia it does me no good, so trying to put my money wher it suits best and I know you can always get a honest answer on here from you guys
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid View Post
    What does private vs. public have to do with SEO?
    private domain you can control htaccess as well as optimization to your own standard and liking.

Public or free sites like for example, blogger.com domains do that in the background and not necessarily to your benefit as much as to theirs.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

private domain you can control htaccess as well as optimization to your own standard and liking.

Public or free sites like for example, blogger.com domains do that in the background and not necessarily to your benefit as much as to theirs.
    I'm pretty sure the only difference between public and private are the records available publicly for a domain registration.

I think you are mixing that up with dedicated vs. shared hosting.

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Orchid View Post
    I'm pretty sure the only difference between public and private are the records available publicly for a domain registration.

I think you are mixing that up with dedicated vs. shared hosting.
    yes I was inferring a site that you have total control over vs a site you do not have total control over.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I was surfing the other day on martial arts websites and I came across some really nicely put together sites... I also came across some cheesy ones. So my questions are ...
    1 what website do you like alot (please list)
    2.what makes for a good MA website better than others
    3. what makes a website cheesy IYO
    What makes a martial arts website good or not is if you make a reference to Bruce Lee and his contribution to kung foo. Also talk about how you trained with someone who trained with him.

yea, I will keep that in mind mysterious P
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan