Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for all Instructors: What made you want to teach?

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    that guys has no honor

one day i will teach for honor and spread chinese cultur. no whitw students. id even teach japanese and koreans. no whiteys alowd.
    lol. honour.

that guy has some great down to earth usable material. His Kung Fu is good!

I'm setting a new policy.

From now on, all chinese will only be shown bullsh1t cultural nonsense that will not help them in self defense and all non-chinese students will be taught martial arts.

The chinese students will be made to pay based on a star chart that approximates their wealth 25 years from now. Which should be quite a lot! And the non-chinese students may pay what they can afford, or they may also be tested by being asked to take out any of the chinese students and use their dough to pay their fees.

It's only fair.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

also no abc. i hate those dam bananas more than white people.

except for gene ching. he has many honor.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-08-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    also no abc. i hate those dam bananas more than white people.

except for gene ching. he has many honor.
    Come on over, I'll teach you to lion dance, play a symbol, paint a character or two, use a fan, count to 100 in Cantonese, say some choice Kung Fu related phrases in Cantonese, what the colours of the 5 elements are and what they represent, some geomancy, tui nah, and other such items.

Also, I will teach you Tiger catches the lamb stance, take the centre horse stance and how to throw kicks into the air!

You must pay though. And you have to help one of the white students pay as well.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I've been exposed to old school Japanese teachers, old school korean and chines teachers, coaches and mentors.
    I great teacher should strive to be all of that:
    Teacher, coach and mentor.
    Not to the same person of course, but different people respond better to different ways of being taught.
    Some need a teacher, others need a coach and some learn best with "Mr. Miyagi".
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

also, the one's that learn best from mr.miyagi are the same one's who get the big trophy for the glow chucks kata in the musical forms division of the local krotty tournament.

true story, every time!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Gosh...thanks bawang...

For the record, I'm a total ABC and proud of it.

Back OT, I taught to help my teacher and my fellow students. I stopped teaching several years ago (unless you count my writing, but that's a different kind of teaching entirely). Teaching was taking too much time from my personal practice.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thumbs up Teaching

I started teaching M/A early on. I wasn't asked to teach , it came naturally to me. I learned a great deal from teaching, teaching gives one insight into their Art.

I enjoyed helping my teachers and our fellow students. Now that I am the teacher I appreciate and respect those that help me teach.

Teaching takes patience, especially among the young and the handicapped. In addition to passing the Style on, it is rewarding to see students accomplish goals, gain self respect , confidence, and pride in themselves.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    From now on, all chinese will only be shown bullsh1t cultural nonsense that will not help them in self defense .
    when did you start teaching Wu-Shu?
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    The reason that I teach because "I need training partners and I don't like to train solo". I can beat someone up and that person still need to pay me. Where else can I find a good deal like that?

My first teaching exp. was as a teen, helping my Kenpo teacher assistant teach. That's where I learned to really analyze what I was doing. I also assisted my Tang Lang teacher in Taiwan many years later, and that's where my teaching style began to take shape. But it wasn't until much later that I started teaching my own group with approval from my CLF sifu.

I started teaching because when I saw teachers who turned out exceptional and effective students, I respected that and wanted to do the same. I took it as a challenge. Some of my students started from scratch, while others had previous experience, including a 3rd dan in Goju-ryu. I had the same core group for the whole time.

It was a good experience, but after 4 years I realized I enjoyed being a MA practitioner more than a MA teacher. I was very comfortable at the martial/teaching aspect, but not with the self-promotion as it relates to MA. Also, I already have a career, and wanted to pursue other outside interests.

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    The reason that I teach because "I need training partners and I don't like to train solo". I can beat someone up and that person still need to pay me. Where else can I find a good deal like that?
    Great answer! In the sense that all teachers should continue their martial journey and train just as hard or harder than their students. I always think you earn the respect of your students when you ask them to do something hard and you do it with them, it takes away the dictator feeling and replaces it with a training partner mentality, but one where they still respect your knowledge and expertise. That and I love to work out hard core.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    when did you start teaching Wu-Shu?
    I been stretching and I bought a certificate from a chinese website that states quite clearly I am more than qualified to teach all the compulsories.

also, student MUST pour tea for me at all time, give me dibs on har gow and is immediately expelled if their chopstick touches the plate while mine is still on it!

I'm tough, but I'm fair.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I taught BJJ 101 to some of my kung fu classmates, because

1)I thought they'd like it and be good at it

2)I wanted more people to practice with

If I feel confident that I know what I'm doing, I think I'm a good teacher. I knew exactly what I wanted to teach and how... all the things that I wished I'd learned early on; they got to skip a lot of the stumbling around that I had to do. But I didn't feel okay about teaching even Day One Basics until after I got my blue belt.

Now, I make a special point of trying to mentor any brand-new female white belts who come into the school, because I remember what it was like coming in and just being tossed into a sink-or-swim environment with a bunch of huge muscley men. I feel a responsibility to try to be a role model for the new female students, and help them along.

I don't know if I'd want to FORMALLY teach a class, though. Helping out is fun, without really getting saddled with the more unpleasant aspects of the responsibility. One of my teachers in particular seems to be very deliberately grooming me to teach someday, and I just don't know if I'm going to want to do that.

The moment they ask us to choose between two different paths, the implicit message is that we can only follow one. -Daniele Bolelli, On The Warrior’s Path

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    That is exactly the reason I started teaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    For those here who are Sifus, Instructors, Coaches, ect. what made you want to teach? I'm just curious as to what point in your journey in martial arts did you decide to teach.

For me personally I wanted to give others the oppourtunity to learn the things I have and add something to the system.
    both teaching and learning are an ongoing process.

we learn from both.

you may impart and pass on whatever you learned and understood to the younger generation.

we also learn from interaction with students.

--