Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question for all Instructors: What made you want to teach?

Question for all Instructors: What made you want to teach?

For those here who are Sifus, Instructors, Coaches, ect. what made you want to teach? I'm just curious as to what point in your journey in martial arts did you decide to teach.

For me personally I wanted to give others the oppourtunity to learn the things I have and add something to the system.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

I could not pin point any reason. I just started out liking helping others during class, while I was a student. I would see people struggling with a technique and I would feel compelled to go help them. Eventually my teacher asked me if I wanted to become an instructor.

The rest is history.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    I could not pin point any reason. I just started out liking helping others during class, while I was a student. I would see people struggling with a technique and I would feel compelled to go help them. Eventually my teacher asked me if I wanted to become an instructor.

The rest is history.

ginosifu

That is pretty much my story as well.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

I have little or no desire for teaching. :-)

I do like to exchange with individuals who already know something.

I especially don't like teaching kids. lol

I think you guys that do teach kids are ok in my books. I really can't be bothered with that sort of thing. Plus the whole "coming of age" period, I am not interested in that either.

Just old school boys club type stuff.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I have little or no desire for teaching. :-)

I do like to exchange with individuals who already know something.

I especially don't like teaching kids. lol

I think you guys that do teach kids are ok in my books. I really can't be bothered with that sort of thing. Plus the whole "coming of age" period, I am not interested in that either.

Just old school boys club type stuff.
    I second this thought. Plus, teaching is a huge commitment. I don't think people realize it when they start teaching, but you have to be there, and you should be there for the long haul if you decide to teach because your students depend on you.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    every school that I was in, they always had me assist with the instruction. I had a gift for breaking things down, patience, compassion, and passion for Martial arts.
    When you teach, each little victory a student feels when they overcome a problem, or succeed at learning a technique, is my victory as well. When I see that light in their eyes, or when they become empowered, it becomes instant payback.
    Of course the downside is when big guys start to develop their power...it sux holding the pads for them!
    "OOFF! Nice kick.....why don't you go over there and work with Mike for awhile..."
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

This is an interesting approach to teaching:
    http://crazymonkeydefense.com/cmd/?page_id=211

very customer centric and breaks away from the traditional model.

Another big part I don't like is the daddy complex latch ons that invariably show up.

They are the poorly socialized folks who project an ideal onto you and then when you don't meet that ideal because you are actually you, these people go all to sh1t and troubles about it.

That is the main thing that I really don't like about taking on the position of teacher. It is a huge responsibility when it comes to the unformed mind. i'm not equipped to adequately deal with those types of people and I am not interested in becoming equipped to do so either! lol

yes, most of the time you are dealing with fairly mentally stable people, but in Martial arts, trust me, a percentage of you guys are already borderline nut cases and certainly the potential student body has it's share.

I mean people actually used to show up at the club and they wanted to learn how to do the tree walking like in crouching tiger and they are SERIOUS!!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

I like Rodney King's approach and have even gotten into his straight blast gym dvd offerings. All of it is good sound stuff. he has his poop in a group as far as martial arts goes in my opinion.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I cant do therefore I teach..............

But seriously i feel compeled to teach kung fu to help others who are as passionate about MA as I always have been.

I am NFPT cert. and often find myself watching peopel lift weights incorrectly and always offer to show them a better way.

I guess I figure if I see someone doing it and they are really trying to lean and I know how it should be done then its one of my callings in life help that person reach that goal.
    I still to this day teach for free. I put my profit back into the school every month.
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 12-08-2010 at 04:10 PM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Another big part I don't like is the daddy complex latch ons that invariably show up.

They are the poorly socialized folks who project an ideal onto you and then when you don't meet that ideal because you are actually you, these people go all to sh1t and troubles about it.

That is the main thing that I really don't like about taking on the position of teacher. It is a huge responsibility when it comes to the unformed mind. i'm not equipped to adequately deal with those types of people and I am not interested in becoming equipped to do so either! lol

yes, most of the time you are dealing with fairly mentally stable people, but in Martial arts, trust me, a percentage of you guys are already borderline nut cases and certainly the potential student body has it's share.

I mean people actually used to show up at the club and they wanted to learn how to do the tree walking like in crouching tiger and they are SERIOUS!!
    Most of these nut jobs don't last to long. I have had a few like this come in, after 1 or 2 hard workouts they are usually gone. Once they realize there is not some magic pill you take and it actually involves a lot of dedication and hard work, they leave. Funny what sweat and pain does to people.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    Most of these nut jobs don't last to long.
    oooooohhhhh yes we do...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

if kung fus fault. in the movies theres always a kind father figure that takes on people with problems like mr myagi.

i feel bad for the white people with issues who chase mr myagi then get rediculed for it. it must be humiliating to join a kung fu school looking to fulfil your life, then have your "sifu" laugh in your face and talk sh1t behind your back.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-08-2010 at 09:57 AM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    if kung fus fault. in the movies theres always a kind father figure that takes on people with problems like mr myagi.

i feel bad for the white people with issues who chase mr myagi then get rediculed for it. it must be humiliating to join a kung fu school looking to fulfil your life, then have your "sifu" laugh in your face and talk sh1t behind your back.
    Yes, they get laughed at and called names, until one day evil Karate school come and murder said teacher. Than they turn into crazed killer and Chen Zhen a moth**er ******er. "WHY YOU KILL MY TEACHER, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY, WHY!!"

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

that guys has no honor

one day i will teach for honor and spread chinese cultur. no whitw students. id even teach japanese and koreans. id even teach the black peoples i love malcolm x. i cried reading his autobiography. but no whiteys alowd.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-08-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC