Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: most important aspect of MA

wow some great posts, its interesting to see whats important to us and at what times. i feel the things that used to be important to me have now taken a back seat to what is important now.

to me the most inmportant aspect of MA is the benefit's I get by tapping into something so pure that many masters have paved before me. cant explian the feeling when i do mantis i tap into somethign bigger than self.

and whats the most important aspect of fighting?

reading your opponent's Yi, this to me is the highest level of understanding. when we are beginners we block, when we are intermediate we redirect, when we are advanced we evade.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post

reading your opponent's Yi
    I believe this is one of the greatest abilities of all combat champions, past, present, and future.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

wtf is wrong with you mk, seriously.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I think he made a very valid point, David.

For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

to keep discussions rolling whats the most important aspect of MA's?

and whats the most important aspect of fighting?

The most important aspect of MA is that you enjoy what you are doing, life’s too short to do something you find annoying and lets be honest MA is not that important to defending yourself in this day and age, weapons, law suits etc have all diminished its roll

The most important aspect of fight? I think it varies for each gender, whlst saying finishing the fight ASAP is a good thing to do, experience had probably shown most of us this is not that easy to do so I would say for men if you cant avoid fighting the most important thing is controlling where the fight takes place, so clinch skills are a must

For ladies if you cant avoid a confrontation then ground fighting, learning how to get back up and escape is the most important thing especially if it’s a confrontation with a male

It is far easier to read the intent on the street than in the ring.
    Of course in the ring the intent is pretty much a given, LOL !
    But you guys know what I mean.
    It's something that is picked up real fast, heck probably took me a hand full of bouncing sessions to start to "read" who were dangerous and who were just obnoxious.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Character development is the most important aspect to martial arts. Focus on this and you don't have to worry about fighting.

kind of depends on ur goals... for me its enjoyment... i like it... but its not a job for me...

Shaolin...............
    Character development is the most important aspect to martial arts. Focus on this and you don't have to worry about fighting.
    bravo!

sanjuor
    It's something that is picked up real fast, heck probably took me a hand full of bouncing sessions to start to "read" who were dangerous and who were just obnoxious

Reading is also the intent of the attack, not the agression, you can easliy feel that. Reading Yi is more of whats going to be thrown. If you read before the first is made and on its way to comming to your face then its easy to evade. however this takes years
    Last edited by EarthDragon; 12-11-2010 at 11:50 AM.
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Blog Entries
    whats the most important aspect of MA's?
    IMO, the most important aspect of MA is "how to enter" and "how to finish". Let using the throwing art as example. The throwing is easy but how to create a chance to throw is not easy, especially when your opponent keeps moving backward. You will need a plan to enter your opponent's kicking and punching range. Also to throw your opponent down is easy but there are a lot more detail to finish him so you can walk away safely.

breaking large slabs of concrete in front of women to impress them is the goal

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

youknowwho,
    interesting that you bring this up, I had a conversation abotu SC with a SC guy adn he loved the fact that 8 step had SC in our lineage, cuz the lead in's and trapping from mantis is the perfect bridge
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Blog Entries
    youknowwho,
    interesting that you bring this up, I had a conversation abotu SC with a SC guy adn he loved the fact that 8 step had SC in our lineage, cuz the lead in's and trapping from mantis is the perfect bridge
    The 8 step Mantis guy 歐陽小平(Ou Yang Xiao Ping) had made that public statement, "The Mantis system and the SC system are perfect marrage". The Mantis fast hand skill is very good to obtain the contact points that will be needed for throws.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-11-2010 at 05:42 PM.