Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Forms training is only good for performing Forms!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post

This begs a different question: Why is there a need to do the splits after doing a one-handed cartwheel?

dodge the shuriken with the cartwheel drop down to splits to duck the sword strike to head

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I think that only forms that can be classified as advanced are those that require more physical skill than those classified as basic.
    That doesn't make them "advanced" in an esoteric way, just advanced in a physical way.
    of course some people can do advanced forms in months and others need years to do a basic one.
    It's all relevant.
    TKD has advanced forms that require mulitple high kicks from the same leg with no lowering and then a jumping spinning kick from the base leg without lowering the raised one.
    Advanced obviously, but nothing that anyone with a decent skill level can't do.
    We had a guy that was a gymnast that did advanced forms better than guys that had been doing TKD for decades and he was only in it for a couple of years.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by goju View Post
    dodge the shuriken with the cartwheel drop down to splits to duck the sword strike to head
    And teabagging the guy after you cartwheeled kick'd him !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    why do they need this material? To show off that they can do it? If the argument is for tournament competitions.... yes to an extent we can give higher level forms, but only to those with exceptional skills.

ginosifu
    I have no way of proving this, but I believe that once you get passed the "carrot" that Ross was talking about...

...that "Showing Off" is the true purpose of the high-level forms of historical TCMA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    i agree with what you are saying about advanced physical techniques. but that in itself can be another can of worms. there are those that would say, you never need 1 hand cartwheel to splits.

however i recently saw a judo turney where an escape was made via 1 arm cartwheel
    there is attacks in the cartwheel to splits move.

a cartwheel into splits is an advanced cheerleading move really, but when you include attacks into it, it is a whole different enchilada.

I've seen cartwheel kicks used in mma with good results!Cartwheel kick KO for the win!Imagine if you could include the splits and a strike to the cajones following the reverse axe kick across the face? Now that's some advanced sh1t man!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    In BSL, the 9th set (Lin Wan) is considered advanced and contains a one handed cartwheel technique that lands into splits.

are you saying that a beginner can just pick this up without the progression towards it whereby he / she develops the required strength, flexibility and plain old ability to do techs like this?

Cause, I"m loling until I am sighing about that...

as for the iron thread set of hung kuen, it contains a lot of so called "internal" work that demands guidance and the shape of it alone is not enough to benefit from the set in the intended manner.
    David, let me ask you this, when is the last time in a fight or even sparring, that you did a one handed cartwheel and landed in a split, and if you did, what purpose did it serve?

My major problem with forms is that many of the techniques are just not practical and simply there for show. Maybe it does give them a Kung Fu "flavor" so to speak but aside from breaking a sweat, what is the point? To be honest, it doesn't take a skilled martial artist to do that, it takes a skilled gymnast, because that is basically what that is.

****, I guess everyone else beat me to that!
    Last edited by Iron_Eagle_76; 12-09-2010 at 11:16 AM.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    And teabagging the guy after you cartwheeled kick'd him !
    you a merciless man sanjuro, a merciless man

I am pork boy, the breakfast monkey.

left leg: mild bruising. right leg: charley horse

handsomerest member of KFM forum hands down

I have no way of proving this, but I believe that once you get passed the "carrot" that Ross was talking about...

...that "Showing Off" is the true purpose of the high-level forms of historical TCMA.

its for street performance for money not showing off. its also the lowest position in old chinese martial arts hierarchy.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    David, let me ask you this, when is the last time in a fight or even sparring, that you did a one handed cartwheel and landed in a split, and if you did, what purpose did it serve?

My major problem with forms is that many of the techniques are just not practical and simply there for show. Maybe it does give them a Kung Fu "flavor" so to speak but aside from breaking a sweat, what is the point? To be honest, it doesn't take a skilled martial artist to do that, it takes a skilled gymnast, because that is basically what that is.
    I never said it was practical and I was speaking to it in context to what is in forms, what is advanced and why advanced sets are not taught to beginners.

there's plenty of material that I cannot effectively or have not had opportunity to try. I think that's less important than pondering whether or not I need it or can count on it.

I just posted a video of a guy in an mma fight who cartwheeled a KO to illustrate my point. If the only validity you will give my point is based on what I do, then when is the last time you landed on the moon and took pictures of your fellow astronaut?

It takes body balance to be good at any athletics whatsoever. there are many "gymnastic" moves in martial arts from all cultures.

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that it is there.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Forms are also a mixture of

1) actual combat techniques

2) conditioning , flexibility, balance, and yogic like exercises

3) performance including street performance

Again, with time, people have forgotten that some of the things in sets are not/were never designed to be fighting applicable
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

flowery performance forms were low level and for making money. today theyre called advanced forms. ESPECIALLY weapon forms. in "advanced" weapon forms its normal to have up to 50 or 70% of the moves flower twirling.

for example most of the tiger fork forms in southern kung fu have only 5 to 6 real techniques in the entire form.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    I never said it was practical and I was speaking to it in context to what is in forms, what is advanced and why advanced sets are not taught to beginners.

there's plenty of material that I cannot effectively or have not had opportunity to try. I think that's less important than pondering whether or not I need it or can count on it.

I just posted a video of a guy in an mma fight who cartwheeled a KO to illustrate my point. If the only validity you will give my point is based on what I do, then when is the last time you landed on the moon and took pictures of your fellow astronaut?

It takes body balance to be good at any athletics whatsoever. there are many "gymnastic" moves in martial arts from all cultures.

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that it is there.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

yes this maybe true??? However, I do not portray them as such nor do do I teach them as such. They are just training tools to me. If someone wants strictly to compete or they want only forms to show off, I usually point them in the direction of one of those McDojos.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    yes this maybe true??? However, I do not portray them as such nor do do I teach them as such. They are just training tools to me. If someone wants strictly to compete or they want only forms to show off, I usually point them in the direction of one of those McDojos.

ginosifu
    Why on earth would you do that?

That's misplaced Wude - why chase away over achievers? Type A personalities with a penchance for flair. Winners, Jocks, Athletes. These are the people you should want. Take their enthusiasm and use it...