Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Forms training is only good for performing Forms!!!

and then shape them into an army of un killable cybornetic kungfu assassins....
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    clearly a hoax!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    and then shape them into an army of un killable cybornetic kungfu assassins....
    F**K Yeah! http://www.kennypowers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MightyB View Post
    That's misplaced Wude - why chase away over achievers? Type A personalities with a penchance for flair. Winners, Jocks, Athletes. These are the people you should want. Take their enthusiasm and use it...
    Don't get wrong ... I have competed and some of my students like to compete. However, this a once in a while thing. Our main focus is self defense and health. There is nothing wrong with it, just not my gig.

To compete or not compete does not change my martial code.

ginosifu

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    when I first started learning Hung-Ga, we learned all the pillar sets (Gung Ji Fook Fu, Fu Hok Seurng Ying, Ng Ying, Tiet Sien) for Black Sash. For many years, I taught the same way. I now "reserve" Ng Ying Kuen and for second Black.
    Not because I'm dangling a carrott, but I found that I was following and creating the "forms collector's" mentality. The reality is, none of those people really had a firm grasp on the forms they did. There are techniques and movements in FHSYK (the softer, short bridging and spiraling )that really require more time and drilling to "get."
    I would rather my students focused on getting the forms and the associated technique more solid before heaping more forms on them.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    when I first started learning Hung-Ga, we learned all the pillar sets (Gung Ji Fook Fu, Fu Hok Seurng Ying, Ng Ying, Tiet Sien) for Black Sash. For many years, I taught the same way. I now "reserve" Ng Ying Kuen and for second Black.
    Not because I'm dangling a carrott, but I found that I was following and creating the "forms collector's" mentality. The reality is, none of those people really had a firm grasp on the forms they did. There are techniques and movements in FHSYK (the softer, short bridging and spiraling )that really require more time and drilling to "get."
    I would rather my students focused on getting the forms and the associated technique more solid before heaping more forms on them.
    would you be able to get someone ready for the second sash sets with solo and partner drills, sparring, and application work? not saying that should be done, im just curious. if yes what do you feel the difference in time frame it would take to be 'ready'?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    FHSYK is a system unto itself.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    FHSYK is a system unto itself.
    what would a glorified, kickboxing knucklehead who never even stu...

oh never mind; it's nowhere nearly as fun as it used to be...

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    what would a glorified, kickboxing knucklehead who never even stu...

oh never mind; it's nowhere nearly as fun as it used to be...
    BWWAHHHH !!!

Fact is, I teach 3 forms ( yes for those that want to learn I still do teach them).
    A beginner form, intermediate and advanced.
    Not because the move are so hard or complicate or special or hidden, but because it takes some experience and self-knowledge to get the most of of them.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    would you be able to get someone ready for the second sash sets with solo and partner drills, sparring, and application work? not saying that should be done, im just curious. if yes what do you feel the difference in time frame it would take to be 'ready'?
    absolutely.
    That's the beauty of styles like Hung-Ga. On it's most basic level, punching, smashing grabbing and breaking, it is an effective fighting art. You can take just that stuff and go on your way. In fact, many never went beyond that level, and that's fine. But, it also has more refined movement and techniques that one can develop, if one wanted to invest the time. It's not like it takes ten years to learn how to fight.
    I happen to teach textbook sets because I intend to pass the system on. Each person I teach is a potential teacher, perhaps not in my schools, maybe just through their own family, or whatever. The forms allow the system to be passed down from one generation to the next, intact.
    oh yeah, and I enjoy forms!
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

"the sword polisher's record" pg.90-104.

oh yeah, and I enjoy forms!
    I enjoy form too

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    I enjoy form too

I could watch that all day.

lkfmdc 12-09-2010 06:21 PM

Forms are also a mixture of

1) actual combat techniques

2) conditioning , flexibility, balance, and yogic like exercises

3) performance including street performance

Again, with time, people have forgotten that some of the things in sets are not/were never designed to be fighting applicable
    This is part of the problem I have with forms, the techniques in them might be valid, they might very well work, but as they have been passed on how do we know what the original intent was for the movement? if you train with 2 different sifu chances are you will see 2 different examples of what the movement was for, its not a great way to pass on a style especially in this day and age

And on the other extreme you get the form Nazis who say the hand must be this shape, at this angle and move in this path and then don’t actually use the movement in sparring anyway

If forms were a good way in the past to catalogue techniques, and introduce strength and conditioning work, are they still useful with all the advances we have made in the realm of strength and conditioning and technological advances made that allow us to capture movement ?