Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Iron Shirt Demonstrations, THE STANDARD

Talking Iron Shirt Demonstrations, THE STANDARD

Good demonstration at about 3 minutes into the video Shaolin Kung fu child & Iron shirt Demo Jin Zhong Zhao.

This is genuine, it is unique in that:
    1) he does not move,
    2) he does not deflect,
    3) he does not have a thin layer of kevlar under his shirt,(no shirt),
    4) blows taken are powerful, and
    5) HE TAKES MULTIPLE BLOWS FROM MULTIPLE ANGLES
    SIMULTANEOUSLY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gfq5UEus6k

Multiple demonstrations, but not as high of a level as above, good though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8u7bx...E7A63&index=43

BBBWWAAHHHHH !!!!!!
    Oh..you were serious?
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Shaolin on helium

That's interesting footage of Xiaolong and Wanheng. I wrote a few articles on Xiaolong including a cover story on his father Chen Tongshan in our 2008 November/December issue: Shaolin Masters Keeping the Faith.

For more on Xiaolong, see:
    2000 March: The Other "Little Dragon" Shaolin Temple's Superstar, Child Prodigy Shi Xiaolong

SHAOLIN SPECIAL 2003: In the Dragon's Den: Grandmaster Chen Tongshan and his Superstar Son, the Little Dragon Shi Xiaolong

Episode Two: Reigning in at the Brink of the Precipice

Shaolin Trips - Episode Three: Resting on a Pillow

Shaolin Trips: Episode 4 - A Hero Watching the Formation: Chapter Six

There might be more Xiaolong material, but I'm getting tired of cutting & pasting. Wanheng was dismissed from the Shaolin order by Abbot Yongxin for impersonating the abbot.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

lol, we did that in training last night.

stand, close your eyes, concentrate on breathing and being comfortable.
    Your partner steps in and starts hitting you with medium intensity everywhere with the back of the hand and open hand.

This gets you comfortable with being hit. ramp it up as you become more conditioned. It's a really good kung to train.

Iron body/vest/shirt skills definitely help you fell comfortable while in a tense situation where you are being struck.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As my classmates in the hard qigong (iron shirt) class say "A day without a beating is a day without sunshine"
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

You guys do realize that "standing/static" iron body is the beginning and that you must progress to dynamic/moving Iron Body for it to actually be effective in a MA context, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    You guys do realize that "standing/static" iron body is the beginning and that you must progress to dynamic/moving Iron Body for it to actually be effective in a MA context, right?
    No...no, it would appear they don't understand anything more than their antagonistic view of Dale.

you do realize these are more little d-bags from Trollshido.
    I would urge anyone to not bother with that nut hugger site because that's where all the juvenile trolls come from.

nut huggers and armchair mma experts pretty much exclusively there with a real wad for an owner who actively messes with peoples info, posts etc and allows his mods to do the same in some sort of an attempt to publicly ridicule folks in favour of their agenda that turns out to be a load of crap anyhow.

Not to be trusted. I dumped my account there after the whole tranny debacle and all that utter nonsense that the site revealed itself to be.

just sayin.

Also, figured I'd do a little bashing where it was due in regards to this.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

LMAO @ "whole tranny debacle" !!!

Funny that I get less crap on Bullshido than here. Trolls there are gathered up and cloistered into an area where they cannot cause trouble.

That is saying something very bad about KFO. Trolls here can attack at will and have pretty much carte blanche until you message mods till the cows come home.

that is sad, and lame that Bullshido is better than KFO when it come to moderating trolls, net ghosts, and fools.
    Last edited by Dale Dugas; 01-07-2011 at 10:13 AM.
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Aw, come on Dale...

BSD doesn't have the Bad Mouth Dale club. You should be honored.

Maybe we should screen newbie members for past BSD histories. Like that would be a good use of our time.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Gene,

You need more moderators who can ban the fools before they waste band width.

Just sayin....
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Last night I had the pleasure of training with one of Dale's Jiulong Baguazhang kung fu brothers, Mr. Rick Krausman in Ohio.

As a part of the class Mr. Krausman demonstrated the Jiulong Baguazhang iron body skills. His movements mirrored what Dale demonstrated in the video. The emphasis was NOT standing statically and taking punches head on. Though Mr. Krausman stood in place, he spiraled his body in many directions demonstrating how strikes were deflected. As Dale does in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygWNo...layer_embedded

Though this concept was new to me (I was used to the static stance, get whopped on method), this is apparently the proper way to do it in the Jiulong Baguazhang system. I thought it was an intelligent way to learn to take a strike while avoiding injury by redirecting the opponent's force.

Perhaps when we watch such videos, we should put aside our preconceived notions of what a "proper" demonstration of a skill should be and instead open our minds to a new way of achieving the same end.
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 01-07-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Talking Definition

Deflection is a separate word from Iron Shirt: Iron Shirt means taking it without damage.

Got it?

Deflection is good to do, it is different technique.

Evading means getting out of the way, another word.

Now we are up to 3 (three) words.

Got it?

Anyone want to see if this crowd can keep track of 4 (four) words, and add another? Don't be chewing bubble gum when you attempt this.

These are all separate SUBJECTS,
    you can talk about their interdependencies also.

"Iron Shirt is said to be a series of exercises using many post stances, herbs, qigong and body movements to cause the body's natural energy (qi) to reinforce its structural strength."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_shirt

Wonder if Dale has ever heard of the tale of 'the Emperor with new Clothes'?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emp...7s_New_Clothes

"a short tale by Hans Christian Andersen about two weavers who promise an Emperor a new suit of clothes that are invisible to those unfit for their positions, stupid, or incompetent. When the Emperor parades before his subjects in his new clothes, a child cries out, "But he isn't wearing anything at all!"

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TaichiMantis View Post
    As my classmates in the hard qigong (iron shirt) class say "A day without a beating is a day without sunshine"
    If my body doesn't feel pain oneday, there must be something wrong with me.

Iron Shirt

Our method is to be hit at the end of each movement of an eleven movement form. Before and after we would rub dit da jow over our bodies. For the first year we were hit with a 1x2 long stick and after that with palm strikes from a classmate practicing iron palm. We were hit everywhere except the groin, kidneys and head. After two years, it really worked. I could take hits well and hit hard as well.