Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions for TCMA teachers.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    It's funny, but I really never get people who want to do only sparring, or grappling, etc. I am a few blocks from Matt Serra's dojo, and a Gracie Barra one town over in the other direction. If they want that, they know where to go.
    Most of the people who come in say,"I've always wanted to learn Kung-Fu."
    There are a few who I've trained on the side in other things, such as LEOs, but that is in addition to the regular curriculum.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Blog Entries
    When I gave "combat SC" workshop in Taiji Legacy, I had 4 to 6 students. The lady who taught "fan form" next to me had more than 30 students. I have more than 50 forms that may be as pretty as that fan form but to me I had BTDT.

I have nothing against form. It's just not my high priority at this point of my life.
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-09-2010 at 05:23 PM.

man 5 to 6 students is normal number traditionally. wit 30 students its cold and distant revolving door class.

think in the big picture mang. in 100 years the bich dead and gone and no one remembers her made up fan form. in 100 years shuai jiao remains and endures.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-09-2010 at 05:30 PM.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    forms have a lot of important concepts and techniques of ur style. if stuff from ur form doesnt work it shows complete failure of ur style. doing good at sanda proves nothing. it shows u r good at sanda.

its better to have chiense martial arts go extinct than force itself to be something its not.

oldest diagram of northern kung fu postures date over 500 years old. in chinese martial arts 1000 year old history is not a myth but a possibility. a lot of people dont know what theyre throwing away.

european society is fluid and transient. there is no connection with the past. anglo saxons and middle ages is foreign and far awar to an average westerner. in chinese culture there is root and continuity. its easy for outsider to watch some kung fu movies, get bored and do mma. for me ill stay true to my race and culture and preserve this ancient way of life.
    This is a psychology students nightmare. lol

European culture has been continuous, it's just vindictive rivalries that cause it to seem broken, but it pretty much has grown to become what it is now. mostly what unified the european mind was the industrial revolution and when England implemented a fully industrialized state in about 1901, france, germany and the rest fo teh world followed with many to this day not even started.

Still From the most ancient Greeks forward there have been many schisms, but it's all there. The cool stuff is the Roman times as far as how Europeans are today. Pretty much all higher institutions in western society are still based on their greek and roman roots.

In most western languages, the root words are greek or roman as well, again expressing continuity. Anyway, european culture and civilization are nothing new.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    In most western languages, the root words are greek or roman as well, again expressing continuity. Anyway, european culture and civilization are nothing new.
    so ur proud to be an italian and german? u feel some kind of special connection to them? or slavs? welsh?

dont bulsh1t me man theres no connections to the past. and latin words arent root words theyre loanwords. ur as roman as much as the japanese are chinese.
    when u think of ancient people u coldly and distantly form a image of bearded men in strange foreign clothes. u cant identify with them.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-09-2010 at 05:56 PM.

I am proud to be of Germanic decent.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

so ur proud to be an italian and german? u feel some kind of special connection to them? or slavs? welsh?

dont bulsh1t me man theres no connections to the past. and latin words arent root words theyre loanwords. ur as roman as much as the japanese are chinese.
    when u think of ancient people u coldly and distantly form a image of bearded men in strange foreign clothes. u cant identify with them.
    I can if they're wearing kilts. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    I am proud to be of Germanic decent.
    which tribe?

exactly

which tribe?

exactly
    gunn / alban

(notice the latin) It's says "In peace, or in war"

here's a little history:
    Gunn Clan

Here's my clan tartan and surname with it.

I feel completely connected to this.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 12-09-2010 at 06:07 PM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Doesnt matter. I'm mixed with 1/4 choctaw anyway...
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

gunn / alban

here's a little history:
    Gunn Clan
    put a gun in that hand

gunn / alban

so how is there continuity between ur celtic ancestors and the anglo who slaughtered them?
    why use latin when its symbol of conquest and assimiliation of ur people and culture by the romanized english?

pan european pride is very vague and contradicting

are people from very far north china exactly like people from very far south china?

for me i can struggle to understand cantonese 1 thousand miles south of my hometown. no matter how much u try schnitzelwaffler isnt gonna make sense to u.
    i met people from russian borders and chinlese peoples from viet border. we all can relate to each otehr and feel like countryman and brothers. a spanish isnt gonna feel the same way with a irish. hell a spanish isnt even gonna relate to a portugese.
    Last edited by bawang; 12-09-2010 at 06:16 PM.

so how is there continuity between ur celtic ancestors and the anglo who slaughtered them?
    why use latin when its symbol of conquest and assimiliation of ur people and culture by the romanized english?

pan european pride is very vague and contradicting
    Obviously, they didn't slaughter them or I would not be here.
    Continuity of life is all about intermingling. The gunn clan can trace to the picts who then were intermingled with the norse and can connect to historical figures.

This Clan and all clans of scotland went through trials and tribulations until restoration and revitalization occured. The Latin is used because english in the common form as we speak it now is quite a recent invention. Prior to the Elizibethan era, english language was "olde" or in other wods, mostly German.

Scot's however, as well as The Welsh and Irish all had similar roots in a past further back in time than the incursion of Rome. But written language that was "common" came about in the present sense with Rome and what followed after 600 ce approx, when it fell. The Angles and the Saxons are what are the stock of english that are native to the region. Scot's, Welsh and Irish natives are still retaining their language and culture as well. The english do it too. It was the norse who most changed the Island though, but written history is rare and most of it comes from roman times and archaeological history. When writing became particularly english, it was already well into the first millenium.

So, in context to Chinese culture, it's quite similar in many aspects.
    stone age >bronze age>iron age>industrialization>???>profit?

Kung Fu is good for you.