Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Lakes Kung Fu, Shuai Chiao and San Shou Championships

Great Lakes Kung Fu, Shuai Chiao and San Shou Championships

It's time again to start preparing for the Great Lakes Kung Fu Championships.

Saturday April 9, 2011 in Cleveland, Ohio at Case Western Reserve University. All the Kung Fu Forms and Weapons Divisions you want, Continuous Sparring, Shuai Chiao, San Shou and Internal Divivisions.

Contact John Ervin:
    School 216.431.4991 / Email jervinsifu@att.net
    Contact me:
    440.585.4900 / Email ginosifu@shaolininstitute.com

or you can go to my website: http://shaolininstitute.com

anyone wanting tourney flyers either call or email me with your address and I will put you on the list when it is ready.

ginosifu

Seminar Givers Needed

Anyone that wants to give a seminar at Great Lakes Tourney (Seminars are done on Sunday) is welcome to let me know. All you have to do is be a judge at the tourney on Saturday.

All CMA styles / techniques welcome.

ginosifu

Another thing we are working on for Great Lakes is Advertizers and Sponsors. We need sponsors for different areas of the tourney. If you are interested in sponsoring a part of it or advertizing your self or business, please contact me ASAP

ginosifu

Ginosifu,
    Can I ask you two questions? First, now even the IWUF has dropped the "continuous strikes to the head" rule from sanshou. So why do you keep it?

Also, as your event is NOT a IWUF event, why do you prohibit knees? As a person with Shuai Jiao background (I think that is correct) why wouldn't you want knee strikes?

I am always looking for places to take my fighters, but the no head strikes and no knees format just makes it impossible for us to compete
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

David,
    The ruleset comes from Dr. Chi Hsiu Weng. I am not sure if it is thru his connections in China or Taiwan that he bases the ruleset from. But it is part of the U. S. S. A. (United States Shuai Chiao Association).

If you want to discuss this with my teacher John Ervin (tournament promotor) He can explain it better than I can.

The head stuff is 2 consecutive strikes to head is ok, after 3 hits to the head you gotta go somewhere else. Like 2 head then round kick to thigh then back to head again. I think they are trying to reduce head injuries.

You can go my web for complete San Shou rules here: http://www.shaolininstitute.com/institute/Tournament

ginosifu

ps. can your guys tone it down a bit to come play with our guys?
    Last edited by ginosifu; 12-29-2010 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post

The head stuff is 2 consecutive strikes to head is ok, after 3 hits to the head you gotta go somewhere else. Like 2 head then round kick to thigh then back to head again. I think they are trying to reduce head injuries.
    This rule did exist in IWUF competition but it has been abandoned for more than 10 years now. It is, in the opinion of many, hard to say "we do full contact" and yet restrict punches like this. IE if you don't want to get hit in the head, don't do full contact.

There was also a feeling the only reason the IWUF used this rule was the Chinese were really bad boxers!

I know Dr Weng. I know he was involved in the IWUF stuff here in the US so I guess that is where he got the rules from, but like I said, they abandoned the head shot rule over 10 years ago

I also personally like knees, and again, in China, they have changed the rules.

We are just used to hitting people in the head and kneeing them
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

David,
    I spoke with my teacher about the head issue and continuous head is a possibility, but no knees...

if that helps any

ginosifu

so where do you draw that line between full contact VS limted contact???

to me when i hear full contact right away i assume it means headshots and knees are allowed... i never took full contact to mean you hit harder lol, i thought it meant you could hit anywhere with any limb... nutts not included ofcourse...

where do you draw that line??? just curious...

can i find any of the tourneys matches on youtube???

edit: found one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Nn1cfbe7Y

Our San Shou is not that different than any other. However the ruleset states no more than 3 consectutive hits to the head, then change for one hit somewhere else. Then you can go right back to the head! It's really not a big deal when your fighting... you'll never really notice the difference as a fighter. We just don't have knee attacks.

Here's some clips of fights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEIgt...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbyDQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVACKPtXipo

ginosifu

I wish this was closer to Chicago......

One other rule I dislike about the GL tournament is the push out rule, if you get pushed out of the ring twice you lose the round, resulting in losing the fight. If someone is deliberately going out of the ring to engage I can see this, but what happened to me and other matches I saw is when someone was getting beat the other guy would bull charge them out of the ring resulting in a win.

I personally think this needs to be changed as well.
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post
    One other rule I dislike about the GL tournament is the push out rule, if you get pushed out of the ring twice you lose the round, resulting in losing the fight. If someone is deliberately going out of the ring to engage I can see this, but what happened to me and other matches I saw is when someone was getting beat the other guy would bull charge them out of the ring resulting in a win.

As my Sifu says..."evade, evade evade"...and use his momentum to put himself out of the ring
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by Iron_Eagle_76 View Post

There is a specific throw that we teach to counter the "Push Out". I don't know if I can explain it well here.

As he is pushing you backwards, Stop, turn and allow him to continue his forward momentum. As you turn stick one of your legs out and trip his legs. Continue turning and pull him out of bounds while you stay stationary.

ginosifu

Quote Originally Posted by ginosifu View Post
    There is a specific throw that we teach to counter the "Push Out". I don't know if I can explain it well here.

As he is pushing you backwards, Stop, turn and allow him to continue his forward momentum. As you turn stick one of your legs out and trip his legs. Continue turning and pull him out of bounds while you stay stationary.

ginosifu
    Pretty much along the same line I was thinking. We have similar moves in mantis
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

I will be at the tournament again this year Any carpoolers? Share hotel costs...etc? Hey TaiChiMantis...

Also Sifu Gino.... I am a traditional guy but due to lack of more traditional kung fu in my area and my need to keep in shape I have been training with a sifu of modern wushu. I saw one wushu guy there last year.

Maybe we can due a seminar?

What is your feeling on a self defense seminar or maybe Krav Maga???

I would definately like some flyers!!!!!!!!!