Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm moving to San Antonio NEXT month!

I'm moving to San Antonio NEXT month!

What is new on the San Antonio Kung fu scene?

Where is everyone on the board training at in San Antonio?

I know about the

Combat Shuai Jiao
    8 Step Mantis in Boerne
    Chen tai chi
    Wing chun/Cha Chuan
    WingTsun
    Wing Chun
    Yang Tai Chi

I don't know about
    Hung Gar Is he still teaching, where?

The Little Praying Mantis Kung Fu Academy Complete unknown

What can you tell me about the last two schools?

What do I need to know that the web sites don't say?

Who do I not know about?

What Non CMA is good in SA?
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 09-12-2008 at 09:29 PM.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

mna get ready to be surrounded by a bunch of fat mexican chicks. if ur into that good for you, if not just stick to training man just stick to training.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Sifu Kirk would be my choice, hands down.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

I'm not sure if Kirk is actually teaching. I've heard rumors, but not seen anything. Lot of good BJJ in SA. We have about 3-4 blackbelts. We have top notch Judo down here as well as a gret Muay Thai gym. I've been trying to look for or start a free hand tui shou group, no luck yet. PM when you get down, I'll buy ya a beer.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

What Non CMA is good in SA?
    Good you're looking for non CMA, because real CMA isn't coming to San Antonio anytime soon

Good you're looking for non CMA, because real CMA isn't coming to San Antonio anytime soon
    This comming from a guy who thinks shaolin monks are the real CMA

Yeah the Shuai Jiao is at the top of my list. I also want to check out the 8step in Boerne, too bad classes are on the same day.

I found out that the The Little Praying Mantis Kung Fu Academy teaches Wah Lum Mantis, but it got bad reviews from the people on this site. My current sifu teaches the Wahlum basics before the 7 star so I'll check it out anyway.

I may have to do the Cha Chuan or some BJJ/judo to fill out my schedule. I'm a kung fu every day kind of guy.

Is the Alamo Judo club any good? It looked cheep

There seems to be alot of MA on Vance Jackson and West ave between 410 and I10. I'll have to concentrate my home search around there.

What is Shadow fist, traditional Thai martial arts?

mna get ready to be surrounded by a bunch of fat mexican chicks. if ur into that good for you, if not just stick to training man just stick to training.
    I love me some Mexican chicks but I prefere my fat chicks to be White.
    Last edited by SanHeChuan; 09-13-2008 at 07:52 PM.
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Alamos my club, look me up when you get to town. Shadow Fist is part of Sinalap, the Muay Thai academy.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Will do,

did the alamo judo club website
    expire overnight because it's not coming up for me today?

Shadow Fist is part of Sinalap, the Muay Thai academy.
    yeah but what is it?

KFM San Antonio Roll call!

Where's Chud, Pork Chop, Vankuen, xcakid, Iman01
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

You can find Pork Chop on his All Aboard the Pork Chop Express thread in here, pretty good read on his work out routine.

Thanx zhuge

Sorry I'm late to the thread been busy with a lot of Houston refugees.

Definitely hit me up when you get down here.
    I'll be in Japan September 23rd to October 6th.

WD - changed my phone number, forget if I pm'd you.

re: Sinlapa

At Shadow Fist/Sinlapa there are 2 different classes that work out there under the same teacher.

The first is the Shadow Fist group. From what I see in the school, it's a style of kung fu, kenpo, or kempo. I see them working out all the time - mostly apps and sparring, with forms work at the end. Most of the students are kids with only the occasional adult. The weapons are Chinese and the uniforms look more like gis.

The second group that works out there is the muay thai group. We're a traditional muay thai gym, with a lot of mae mai muay thai mixed in. You'll learn traditional attacks & counters from the bareknuckle days as well as the sport. Sport-wise, there are some good fighters; but honestly it's been a couple months since i worked out there because I've been preoccupied with swim team (can't afford both).

re: San Antonio

As far as the other places, San Antonio's always had kind of a bad rep for kung fu.
    There are a few decent schools; Jeff and Horacio Lopez go pretty far back.

There's a guy in my apartment complex, with Ohio license plates, that practices what looks like Tien Shan Pai near where I walk my dog (he wears a USCKF shirt). Haven't talked to him yet; but i could if you were desperate for some northern.

doug maverick
    I'm assuming you made the mistake of hanging around the military bases here in San Antonio. Because away from the ghetto, this town has some of the hottest women in Texas; not to mention the fact that the ones i've met have been pretty down to earth. Met my gf here and she's got quite a few hot friends. Definitely much better looking than the selection in DC and Baltimore.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I saw a Hung-Ga school from San Antonio this last weekend at the Wong Fei-Hung Tournament. They were wearing the diamond (Lam-Ga not 1%ers) and had some very good Lion Drumming.

coincidence

I am not going to ask why you are moving to San An but i will say that
    I am moving to Eagle Pass Texas In a short time. I need to complete a 5 month training engagement before i will be there but when i am there i will be overdue for contact to CMA diehards
    Keep in Contact
    James

I am moving to Eagle Pass Texas In a short time.
    Well good deal, are you going to be setting up shop?
    eagle pass is alittle over 2 hours away though.

I am not going to ask why you are moving to San An
    Well since you brought it up, I'm running from the LAW.
    I'm in the AF reserves and doing some full time training at lackland for a year.

had some very good Lion Drumming.
    Did you just mention to drumming because their kung fu sucked?
    Well at least I know they are still around.

this town has some of the hottest women in Texas;
    Houston is the fattest city in the nation, I never liked that place anyway.
    But, alot of people and not just Texans say that the hottest women are from texas.
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Dallas has the hottest women per capita in the world. I know. I've seen them.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKiller View Post
    Dallas has the hottest women per capita in the world. I know. I've seen them.
    I thought venezuela or brazil would be boasting that one
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.