Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: defense agaisnt a caught kick

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    ...there's always, turn and roll away out of it.....
    you mean the sommersalt(sp?) defence??? ive never tried it but ive seen it tons... mos def a valid defence under the right circumstances... in one of ginos techniques the beggining is the same as the sommersalt technique with the whole turn and collapse the leg thing...

in wrestling we learned tons of defences... in some single leg takedowns they drop down and tuck the leg into the armpit and secure it with a tight one arm triangle thing then stand back up and bring the leg with you... at this point you can do many things, drive foreward, swing around, sweep, trip whatever... but we spent alot of time defending that moment when he has you trapped under his armpit standing up... there are tons of freestyle wrestling solutions... check youtube, you'll find lots... most start the same and end differently... but the theory can be used for striking arts too...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    you mean the sommersalt(sp?) defence??? ive never tried it but ive seen it tons... mos def a valid defence under the right circumstances... in one of ginos techniques the beggining is the same as the sommersalt technique with the whole turn and collapse the leg thing...

in wrestling we learned tons of defences... in some single leg takedowns they drop down and tuck the leg into the armpit and secure it with a tight one arm triangle thing then stand back up and bring the leg with you... at this point you can do many things, drive foreward, swing around, sweep, trip whatever... but we spent alot of time defending that moment when he has you trapped under his armpit standing up... there are tons of freestyle wrestling solutions... check youtube, you'll find lots... most start the same and end differently... but the theory can be used for striking arts too...
    Chael Sonnen did this when he fought Anderson Silva, very slick move!
    "The hero and the coward both feel the same thing, but the hero projects his fear onto his opponent while the coward runs. 'Fear'. It's the same thing, but it's what you do with it that matters". -Cus D'Amato

As a shodan in Judo and someone with some experience in MMA I say this:
    If I catch your kick, your ****ed.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Harrasment! Someone call Gene!
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Quote Originally Posted by KC Elbows View Post
    Harrasment! Someone call Gene!
    BBAAWWWAAHAHHHHHH !!!!!!!!
    I am unbannable !!!
    Is that even a word ??
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

BBAAWWWAAHAHHHHHH !!!!!!!!
    I am unbannable !!!
    Is that even a word ??
    Speak American!

Blog Entries
    I agree with you 100% there. It takes some effort to be able to get your opponent's leg. If he can give you for free that will be very nice. When you catch your opponent's kick, you can hook his standing leg and take him down. Not only that fall will be hard (because both of his legs are off the ground), when he is on the ground, since you are still holding one of his legs, it's very easy to drop your knee into his groin with your body weight behind. That will be the worst situation to be as shown in the following clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AATm4pLgNgk
    Last edited by YouKnowWho; 12-14-2010 at 02:19 AM.

That's why you run away as quickly as possible!
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

It seems to me that, most cases that someone's leg is caught and they are able to place weight on the caught leg and hit or get hold of the catcher's head, the catcher didn't have a plan when they caught that kick.

The things to remember is that the leg is longer than the arm, and if an opponent catches your kick, it is usually going to be out of your hand reach. If he is any sort of fighter he will send you flying backwards and kick you all the while you are rolling around. There is only one really good defense against having a high kick caught, and that is not to make high kicks in the very first place. I can see if you are in the ring and trying to look good and make points, but in a real serious situation you are placing yourself in jeapardy un-necessarily. Kick only when you can not miss, and only in a way in which you can recover instantly, and where it is far less likely that the guy will catch it.
    Watching MMA I can see where for mere seconds or fractions of a second a kicker is in danger. When a kick misses and the guy just spins slowly around, The other guy, if he were to take that advantage could rush in on him. It happens a lot, just watch for it. Then you see kicks passed back and forth that simply do nothing but sting and make noise. Occasionally you see a knockout kick, but how often does that happen?

i call bullsh!t, there are a million and one ways to get out of a caught kick... jumping up and kicking the face with the other leg NOT being one of em... but it looks cool on tv none the less...

Quote Originally Posted by Yum Cha View Post
    ...there's always, turn and roll away out of it.....
    Yep, I've seen a guy do a turn and dive roll out of a caught kick(I think that clip is posted here somewhere)...made me smile cause we do dive rolls in class.
    "The true meaning of a given movement in a form is not its application, but rather the unlimited potential of the mind to provide muscular and skeletal support for that movement." Gregory Fong

Quote Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
    I agree with you 100% there. It takes some effort to be able to get your opponent's leg. If he can give you for free that will be very nice. When you catch your opponent's kick, you can hook his standing leg and take him down. Not only that fall will be hard (because both of his legs are off the ground), when he is on the ground, since you are still holding one of his legs, it's very easy to drop your knee into his groin with your body weight behind. That will be the worst situation to be as shown in the following clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AATm4pLgNgk
    The leg sweep into the grab is how we do it in Nu Hou Quan.

The grab and shave is how Shifu Belfiore taught my son the technique. I like the knee lock and groin crush you added at the end. Very nice!
    Last edited by mooyingmantis; 02-05-2011 at 04:08 PM.
    Richard A. Tolson
    https://www.patreon.com/mantismastersacademy

There are two types of Chinese martial artists. Those who can fight and those who should be teaching dance or yoga!

53 years of training, 43 years of teaching and still aiming for perfection!

Recovering Forms Junkie! Even my twelve step program has four roads!

Quote Originally Posted by EarthDragon View Post
    I thought this was interesting, does your style/system prepare for this?
    The most fun and interesting way to defend against caught kicks... guerrilla jiu jitsu flying attacks!!! Youtube 'em and check out a few.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQioT-ceKi4

ha.. sweeeeet... ive learned some similar... its alot harder than it looks when they resist tho...