Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you use a sash?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    It's more about holding my body together sometimes. There were times when I was wrapped in so much neoprene that I felt like the Michelin Man. When I was at Shaolin, I got pretty dependent on bangtui too. Those are those elastic leg wraps that the monks and disciples wear. See our monk socks. There was no neoprene at Shaolin, except what I brought in. Shaolin practitioners will wrap their forearms and forelegs sometimes. I didn't do so much with the forearms, just the legs. That external compression can really help. For forearms, and this was only for lion dancing, I used to use traditional vambraces.
    you know what, this is going to sound really corny,, but at home ive been wearing those tabi boots when i train solo. i really like that i can tuck my pants into them, its almost like being bear foot, and it frees my calf/shin up but keep it covered at the same time but its so fast. like putting on slippers really.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

sash is not necessarily all silk.

it can be cotton.

silk is reserved for royalty and the rich classes in the old time.

---

use

I used leather foreman vambraces when I fought the hands against the Butterfly Knives. They are usefull when open hand fighting against Daggers and Swords.
    Visit the past in order to discover something new.

[url]http://wahquekungfu.proboards100.com

Blog Entries
    The sash is too soft and the weight lifting belt is too hard. I lke to use 板帶(Ban Dai) That's not too hard and not too soft. Something like the canvas belt.

http://www.google.com.hk/imglanding?...429,r:17,s:114

I make my own sashes out of heavy ply cotton. Works like a charm.

Clearly some people don't know their sash from a hole in the ground...
    www.kungnation.com

Pre-order Kung! Twisted Barbarian Felony from your favorite comic shop!

I use a traditional chinese one that is like a karate belt, that heavy woven pad of cotton, but only a short piece of it. The length is extended by several long cords that wrap around the waist, and tie off.

I find it helps me by supporting the lower abdomen a bit, and by holding up my pants a lot.
    Guangzhou Pak Mei Kung Fu School, Sydney Australia,
    Sifu Leung, Yuk Seng
    Established 1989, Glebe Australia

mine is kevlar, gortex and neoprene with some elastene and cotton.

It's not a big heavy leather kidney belt, but has great back support qualities.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

DJ sounds more like a bullet proof vest...... can I intertest you in a colored silk ribbon with a yin yang symbol ironed on it?
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

When I was a young man I dressed more traditional, if you would call it that. I wore a sash most days. It felt good around the abdomen, protected it to some degree, and I could hide all sorts of sharp items in it. Coins with very sharp edges, small knives, brass knuckles, just a whole bunch of things can be hidden in one. They make a pretty good Garrot as well.

My students and I have alwasy sued the satin type sashes (which have been crap) but a few months ago I got a company to make me heavy cotton sashes and they offer much better back support and aid breathing etc.

Junior use satin sash
    Adults use Cotton Sash
    Lion Dancers us Wushu or Northern Sash

Paul
    www.moifa.co.uk

We use 5 yard lengths of trigger poplin. It is a good fabric for belts because it resists bunching up and turning into a useless rope around the waist.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity