Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can Tiger/Crane Form Be a Separate System?

Can Tiger/Crane Form Be a Separate System?

Just wondering, for anyone who has trained extensively in Hung Gar Kuen, do you feel that the Tiger and Crane set could be trained as a method in and of itself? I've long been interested in Hung Gar and it's always seemed to me that the Tiger/Crane set had a wide enough variety of techniques and concepts to stand on its own. What are your thoughts?
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

It can be a stand alone form in Hung Kuen, yes,
    In the sense that no other form is needed.
    Not sure if it can be a separate system unto itself since it doesn't address all of what combat implies.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

A form is not the whole system. However, some system's only use 1 form like Tiger / Crane. Forms are only tools to enhance training in the system.

ginosifu

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    IMHO, many of the techniques in Tiger Crane require a more solid foundation in Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen in order to "prepare" the body-meaning larger movements,skills, power generation, etc. Can they be taught without it? Sure. Wing Chun and other short bridging systems start there and incorperate power development into the system through supplementary training.
    The beauty in Hung Kuen lies in the fact that it can be played on any level. You can learn Gung Ji Fook Fu and use the techniques within that set as a stand alone system.* The 'higher level' techniques, meaning smaller movements, coiling, deflecting/trapping, angling, where as my teacher says, "the gaps are smaller," are introduced and focused on, in FHSYK. Many never really develop this, as this also takes more time to develop, and is part of the 'ripening' in the Siu Lum Hung Kuen practitioner.
    Learning the form itself will teach you nothing. It won't "bring you to a higher level," That comes from your Sifu, not from forms collecting.
    That only happens in the movies, where the young hero learns th3 deadly Tiger Crane form and then defeats the evil Bak Mei Priest, yadda-yadda...

"Put the DVD down and step away from the television!"

*more of a stand alone "striking system" (nods to Sanjuro)
    Last edited by TenTigers; 12-16-2010 at 08:37 AM.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post

IMHO, many of the techniques in Tiger Crane require a more solid foundation in Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen in order to "prepare" the body-meaning larger movements,skills, power generation, etc.
    IMO, that is outdated thinking. Any technique or skill can be taught. It is not about "learn form X first, then form Y", it's about HOW you train someone
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

. Can they be taught without it? Sure. Wing Chun and other short bridging systems start there and incorperate power development into the system through supplementary training.
    yep-hence the quote. It's just in my experience, especially in SPM,(FHSYK and SPM share alot of techniques and methods) people coming into the system without a solid foundation have a hard time "getting it."
    When I say GJFFK, I really am referring to the core technique taught in the form, rather than the form itself.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

imo after u learned the basics well u can learn any set,no matter in what order! talking bout hung kuen hand sets...

there was a discussion on this board many,many years ago about the 3 treasure sets of hung kuen are each a style by itself..or could be... I completely agree with that actually...or just using sap ying kuen which is like a highlight reel of the 3 treasures and adds the 5 elements...

Fu Hok Seung Ying Kuen has

1) all the basic footwork

2) all the basic fist strikes

3) tiger and crane movements (like, duh!)

4) basic palm

5) some basic kicking (some implied)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

hmmmm....
    you've got a point there....
    sh1t, pretty soon you'll be saying that you can learn Biu Jee without learning Chum Kiu and Siu Lim Tau.....
    or..
    The Yang long form without first learning the 8, 24, 36...um, 37..
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

This made me remember that I don't have ANY video of the Sap Ying Kuen for my library.

Any suggestions?

re:

Cerebus,

Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen to me is would be the one, it entails everything, I guess thats why Sigung Chiu Kau would say practice this set properly 1000 times, then we'll begin to see real Hung kuen. When looking closely it provides everything, internal aspect, animals, elements, footwork, bridge work, its all there, with the aide of a qualified sifu, that skill will open Hung kuen like a large japanese fan.

Quote Originally Posted by tungmojingjung View Post
    Cerebus,

Gung Ji Fook Fu Kuen to me is would be the one, it entails everything, I guess thats why Sigung Chiu Kau would say practice this set properly 1000 times, then we'll begin to see real Hung kuen. When looking closely it provides everything, internal aspect, animals, elements, footwork, bridge work, its all there, with the aide of a qualified sifu, that skill will open Hung kuen like a large japanese fan.
    or perhaps a large Chinese fan?
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    This made me remember that I don't have ANY video of the Sap Ying Kuen for my library.

Any suggestions?
    Kwong Wing-Lam's dvd is excellent. His structure and form is impeccable.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Kwong Wing-Lam's dvd is excellent. His structure and form is impeccable.
    Wing Lam's DVD are quite excellent, thanks for the advice.
    I love my collection, it is a library of MA !

re:

TT,

You are right, I stand corrected, a large chinese fan...