Folks please forgive me. 33 years ago, wu shu was a term that had tradition, honor and power. It was the combat of the kung fu.

I am a monk and I have been living in the forest here since 1999. It has certainly been much longer since I have known anything about the public arena or had a copy of Kung Fu magazine (which was some pretty neat stuff in the '70's)

First, a thread "ground rule" - I am asking so it is OK to say things more plainly. If you think you might hurt feelings or what you have to say too strong you could send me a message - so here goes:

What is the deal with the mockery of the term Wu Shu these days? I came here because of some changes we are making and wanted to tap the community and get current.
I find that something has happened over these last couple of decades and what was once a powerful art is now a joke that tradition must be embarassed of.

I do get that there has been a % of people who "think the word is neat" and think that by doing all these really powerless, "flippy/swirly" (you can not even call it "stylized") pseudo-katas that they are "Wu Shu!" (mysterious and powerful dood!) and most of you think "Fools!"
I get that. I have seen some of it here (like that girl USSD or whatever)

What I am asking those who have been in touch and in the "fray" is....

1) When did this begin? I expect it started in California or other large populace area

2) Who are these people ie is it more like a fad and everyone is "Wu Shu" sexy? Or was there some movement or school that turned the word into a "artistic performance" thing that largely says "Anybody could rape me"

3) Is there actually regard for this in the "business" part of MA, where anyone with $100 can be a member etc. (5th Dan Blackbelt! $500)

Or is it just a total fad thing?

I have no problem with some soul feeling the joy of whirling. It is not that. There is joy in it and someone's spirit may thereby be lifted. It is the missapropriation of the word. It is both false and wrong but sometimes fads are, ya?

So I suppose what I am hoping for is that there is still some viability and validity to the term and it is not altogether lost.
But it seems like it is (I have only been looking at this for a couple days though. When I wanted to know about the current state of public MA, I came here and joined)

But it has been bugging me immensely so I thought if I opened this thread all kinds of observations, opinions and such would come out. I feel I need info here to better understand.

I live on top of a mountain in the forest and the entire county here has about 5,000 in it, so it is not like I can just easily "go out in the street" or visit dojo's to try and "fast forward 30 years" - you guys are currently what I got for reference.

As far as I can make out of a lot of what I have seen in public MA in my short 2 days?
5,000 ancient styles, bashing, a lot of "non shaolin like" people and things calling themselves "monks" and "shaolin" with no real inner and a strange outer. faction after faction, all "disgruntled" but doing the very same things they are disgruntled about. - has anybody seen that movie "Idiocracy"?

"It's Wu Shu MMA! It has electrolytes!"

and I am not trying to be daft or provocative on purpose. I am just trying to get as big and clear a picture as I can because I am beginning to think I should not have even looked! Lol!

It would also be interesting to me to find or hear of others and schools who are still teaching ALL the parts of kung fu by older ways. I know we live in a different world now, but kung fu and the world have not changed. Just people.

I expect I am a little overwhelmed by the masses of craziness (to me) that have seemingly all but taken over.
Thanks for your patience and understanding as well as your observations.

PS - I have seen interesting and good things too. It's not that.