Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: this is what i deal with in NY

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    one of my teachers once told me, "Give them what they think they want, while you give them what they need." If my students want more flash (and they have the ability) then I teach them Wu Dip Jeurng, which is a traditional Hung-Ga set, but with Northern influence-tornado kicks, ground scissors, dragon coil, and is very dynamic. We also have a Nam Kuen form which my Sifu created. Although it is considered a contemporary wu-shu set, it is comprised entirely of traditional moves from Hung Kuen and Hop Ga. These forms are very dynamic, but are not simply flash. They have substance.
    Gung-Fu stands on its own. Lion Dance, weapon sets like the Kuan-dao, (what's cooler than a seven-foot can-opener?) Double broadswords, etc. Wicked self-defense applications. It all depends on how you present it.
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Iron Eagle
    in the end the fighters fight and the dancers dance.
    great quote
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

Oh, but what about 'slam dancing' (if you can remember the 80's)? Metal spiked leather isn't just for monks.

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ShaolinDan View Post
    Oh, but what about 'slam dancing' (if you can remember the 80's)? Metal spiked leather isn't just for monks.
    I had throwing stars clipped in the epulets of my leather jacket...
    ah..those were the days...
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Aren't XMAs the ones who think that the louder you scream when performing a form the more Ki you have and the more advanced your skill?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    Aren't XMAs the ones who think that the louder you scream when performing a form the more Ki you have and the more advanced your skill?
    ...and if they see blood, they go KAZY!!!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    Actually, in Japan, everyone in Highschool has a black belt

Only in America did it become this oopper dooper high rank
    Close enough to it.
    When I trained at the kodokan I can't recall a class that didn't have a majority of BB.
    The BB is like a high school diploma.
    A 9 year old BB?
    Bah, that is the state of sport performance MA, which is what XMA is.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Close enough to it.
    When I trained at the kodokan I can't recall a class that didn't have a majority of BB.
    The BB is like a high school diploma.
    A 9 year old BB?
    Bah, that is the state of sport performance MA, which is what XMA is.
    IN Japan, Judo and Kendo are high school sports like baseball and wrestling are here, in Korea it's Taekwondo (and Judo)
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

ED... you told me ur a buddhist... you dont act like one alot of the time... this thread is case and point... live and let live man, if you didnt have beef you wouldnt try to drag this guy thru the mud... regardless of what his school is like or his credentials... lead by example, ONLY... words mean very little in the real martial world... and i aint talkin art here.... imo its the art aspect that waters most styles down...

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Best defense against a larger male trying to rape you? Step one, do everything you can to avoid the situation. Step two, carry mace. Step three, get a gun and friggin learn how to use it.

Unfortunately, with the element of surprise, much more strength than the victim, and the threat of death if the woman (or man) refuses to comply, the odds are normally stacked against the victim. No casual KF, MMA, TKD, or anything else will change that. It would take some dedicated training on the part of the female to even the playing field to any degree.

As for the school. Good advertising, excellent use of A/V to excite the consumer. Approachable teachers, excellent facilities, and family oriented. They also offer a wide variety (quality irrelevant considering the target audience) of MA. Most Americans just want their kids to avoid becoming obese. They don't want ninja munchkins running around the house.

He self proclaimed himself a master? Yeah, like THAT doesn't happen very often...
    agreed.......down the line...

i dont know why youre b!tching so much ED??? sour grapes will make you bitter son...

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    He's right, though...

200 black guys would be tough to beat.
    like what??? as opposed to a 200lb white guy? or a persian? or an indian? or a spaniard? or an egyptian???

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    As much as I agree with the sentiment and schools like that make me wish we could bring back the days of dojo storming and taking it to the fairy boxers, I would just like to add one point.

The things that people are praising him for: clean gym, organized management, professionalism, etc. Everyone of those things is equally applicable to a quality school. Look at Ross's clips for instance. Every bit as clean, structured and organized. Probably more so since he's training people for a very specific goal. Honestly most MMA gyms and such (the ones that produce) have all those same qualities. Clean gyms a must for obvious reasons. Well organized layout with all the equipment and such available also a must. Structured training programs to meet the very specific goals. And professional because from a business standpoint because you're typically always dealing with promoters, fight organizers, licensing and all that other BS. AND there just happens to be really intimidating looking people doing intimidating looking things that tend to scare of the fairy boxers. BUT the organization in training should be readily apparent and confers to that newbie that does stick around, "Yes I too can succeed at this." Best of both worlds. Nothing that can't be done with a legit TCMA school.

That said, I still think there's something invigorating about training in a gym that looks like something out of Soviet Russia.
    getting caught up in the atmosphere just takes away from the real training... but hey, if training like rocky makes you feel bad ass, rock on with your bad self...

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    ED... you told me ur a buddhist... you dont act like one alot of the time... this thread is case and point... live and let live man, if you didnt have beef you wouldnt try to drag this guy thru the mud... regardless of what his school is like or his credentials... lead by example, ONLY... words mean very little in the real martial world... and i aint talkin art here.... imo its the art aspect that waters most styles down...

How is a buddhist supposed to act?

lol.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

lol.
    Look it up.

l.o.l.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post

lol.
    not like a jealous douche with a chip on thier shoulder about their own flower dance...