Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: no touch knockdown in MMA

You can't prove that it's NOT real.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

what if i eye gouge them with just my fingers?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    what if i eye gouge them with just my fingers?
    What do you normally eyegouge them with?

do you really want to know?
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

There's something known in clinical hypnosis as 'The Postural Sway Test' as an index of suggestability. It can be used to 'knock' people over, without contact, provided that their suggestabilty is high enough. The suggestion that they will fall forward is sometimes 'resisted' by falling (or swaying) backwards. To a skilled hypnotist, any resistance, is useable. The only successful resistance is to leave the room, so, in a MA context, with believing students, it's usually easy to pull off. Stage hypnotism is far easier than clinical hypnotherapy and the context is not dissinilar to where you have no-touch MA knockouts.

The 'phsical' mechanism by the way is 'ideo-motor dynamics' - ideo (mind or intention - sounds familiar eh?) motor (movement) dynamics (in this instance the integrated - action that arises from an unconscious sumation of motor behavior directed by suggestion both from a third party, and from the subject). It's how Ouja Boards and Table Turning work too,

do you really want to know?
    Tornado kick?

Indrafist,

Cool posts. I knew a guy some years back who went to a school and described exactly that sort of thing(the swaying as a tool in a suggestion kind of thing, pardon my lack of terminology). Mind you, the teacher outright told him it was a trick, but he was fascinated by that.

mounted skull fuck

mounted skull fuck
    In clinch drills the other day, I was merely trying to buffet my student mildly to see how he maintained his defenses, and he thrust his finger up his nose forcibly.

I explained to him "We do not teach outsiders that technique."

that seriously made me lol real loud.

Once, I was explaining something to another student while working with the guy who poked himself in the nose, so we're facing each other, but we've stopped, and I'm telling the other guy "You've got to make sure to cover well when you do this, if the other guy throws a cross" and this student thought I was signaling him to cross, so he hits me while I'm talking to the other student, right in the side of the face, I'm laughing, I mean, he hit me good, but it was funny, and the guy I'm explaining whatever to has got this look on his face like "Dude's chill crazy, balls crazy."

Not one of my better classes on situational awareness.

did the other guy start laughing after he hit you?

did the other guy start laughing after he hit you?
    At first, he didn't register what had happened, I mean, he knew he hit me, but he really was sure this was a demo, so it took a second for him to catch up. Meanwhile, I'm laughing. I asked him "What kind of jerk hits their teacher?"

He's come a long way, he's trained with me and another kungfu teacher for the last couple years, me earnestly this last year, and with a local bjj black belt for a few years now. He started in a tkd mill, so he had this strong inclination to start teaching people all the time. It too me six months of telling him "This is your training time, use it, there's plenty of time to teach later," before it started setting in, and I feel he's gotten a lot from that, so I'm proud to be helpful.

Totally hijacking this thread.

That student was decent to start with, and is quite good at this point. I have a bum knee, so he's become quite a challenge. I always have to think of safe ways to think of to drill leg takedowns with him so he has good experience, as well as forward pressure, without making my knee worse.

A lot of my kung fu is considered fairly unorthodox, especially in my line, though I have largely convinced the others trained with me and my teacher that what they are seeing as unorthodox is probably closer to the style's roots than what we thought. Nonetheless, I proved it by usage, not argument, and I'm proud of that point.

A number of students of my teachers also study with me, and he has encouraged them to do both, as have I, but in loyalty, many for a time initially, given the option(which I do give them) stick with the style of footwork and waistwork from my teacher for a time, but all eventually have recognized that there is also value in those from me, and learned both, without me saying "you have to do it this way", solely by me making it work on others.

I've made a point of having friends who know as much as me at classes, we get to cross hands, the students get to face different stylists with experience, and everyone gets to see that there's no walking away without someone else getting the upper hand sometimes, even on teacher. The goal is not to have a class, having a class needs to be a side effect of the goal, which is to have various stylists able to train together and help each other by helping each other get hit, thrown, and otherwise discombobulated.

Sorry to rant, but I enjoy my training. I intend to put up footage from a class sometime, nothing edited or fancy, just to give an idea and to get feedback and advice from those members with useful knowledge.

do not worries it is a manly story so its ok.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC