Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hoplology

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Robert Smith?

Whatever.....
    Yeah, Draeger was exasperated by Smith's starry-eyed worship of certain figures he had met in Taiwan. If you read Asian Fighting Arts you can tell that Smith wrote all of the section on China and it doesn't represent Chinese arts as a whole very well.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Dugas View Post
    Robert Smith?

Whatever.....
    I like some of Smith's books and have had some positive correspondence with him years ago. But there's a LOT he writes that I strongly disagree with. Particularly his dismissive attitude towards southern systems and his over-idolizing of the 'internal' arts/masters. Strange, because in many ways Smith could also be very practical-minded. His book Western Boxing and World Wrestling (written as Gilbey) was probably his best, IMO.

Draeger was my favorite writer on the JMA. He was a true modern-day samurai.