Thread: Thomas Diagne

Thomas Diagne

I saw Thomas Diagne fight at the US Open International Martial Arts Championship XII in Nov 2008. He's one of Cung Le's fighters and got some good skills. He just fought in the inaugural Strikeforce Challengers telecast on SHOWTIME (Save Mart Center, Fresno, CA). The five-fight telecast aired on SHOWTIME at 11 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the west coast) on May 15, 2009.

Here's the press release:
    Sarah Kaufman (9-0) of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, remained unbeaten with a hard-fought unanimous decision over determined Miesha Tate (6-2) of Olympia, Wash., in a women’s match at 135 pounds; Lavar Johnson (12-3) of Fresno scored an 18-second, first-round knockout over Carl Seumanutafa (4-3), a Samoan based in San Francisco, in a heavyweight fight; San Antonio’s Aaron Rosa (12-2) registered a 4:29 first-round TKO (choke) over Anthony Ruiz (21-13) of Coarsegold, Calif., takes on in a light heavyweight bout and Bao Quach (16-9-1) of Huntington Beach, Calif., won a unanimous decision over Tito Jones (6-3) of Sacramento, Calif., in a featherweight scrap.

Non-televised results: Ben “The Teacher” Holscher (2-0) of Fresno submitted (rear naked choke) Cody Cantebury (1-4-1) of Sacramento at 2:47 of the first round (160 pounds); Thomas Diagne (1-0) of San Jose, Calif., won a decision over Kaleo Kwan (7-10) of Kailua, Hawaii (lightweights); Fabricio “Morango” Camoes (10-4) of Brazil submitted (rear naked choke) Torrance Taylor (7-6-1) of Cleveland, Ohio at 3:31 of the first round (155 pounds) and Spencer Herns (1-0) of San Jose won a majority three-round decision over Chad Sutton (2-2) of Fresno in a bout at 185 pounds.
    SHOWTIME will replay Friday’s telecast on Thursday, May 21 at 10 p.m. ET/PT on SHOWTIME TOO. It will be available ON DEMAND beginning Monday, May 18.

There's a bootleg youtube of Diagne's fight up now, but it probably won't last too long. It's horrible quality. It would have been smarter to shoot the big screen than the actual fight from the stands.
    R1
    R2
    R3

BTW, Terry did win his fight, which I mentioned on the Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Diaz April 11 San Jose thread.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Diagne fighting for Strikeforce

From a Strikeforce press release this morning:
    STRIKEFORCE Challengers, Friday, July 23 from Comcast Arena at Everett in Everett, Wash.; Five-Fight Telecast Live on SHOWTIME® at 11 p.m. ET/PT

EVERETT, WASH. (July 22, 2010) - The fighters who will compete in the STRIKEFORCE Challengers mixed martial arts (MMA) event on Friday, July 23 weighed in on Thursday at the Ice Box at Comcast Arena at Everett in Everett, Wash.

Undefeated heavyweight prospect Shane Del Rosario (9-0) faces Lolohea Mahe (6-1-1) in the main event on SHOWTIME® (11 p.m. ET/PT, delayed on the West Coast). Both talented fighters are looking for a big win to help them break through to the next level of STRIKEFORCE Heavyweights, a stacked division that features Alistair Overeem, Fedor Emelianenko, Fabricio Werdum, and Antonio Silva, among others.

Unbeaten STRIKEFORCE Women's World Welterweight (135 pounds) Champion and former ballet dancer Sarah Kaufman (11-0) will put her perfect record as well as her crown on the line against international star Roxanne Modafferi (15-5) in the co-main event.

Bonney Lake's Cory Devela (9-4) will return to the cage for the first time in more than a year to face dangerous Bobby Voelker (21-8) in a welterweight (170 pounds) battle. Devela took a year off from MMA to help his girlfriend battle cancer.

In other featured action, Abongo Humphrey (7-1) will take on Mike "Mak" Kyle (16-7-1) at light heavyweight (205 pounds) and U.S. Army war veteran and Matt Hume protégé Caros Fodor (2-0, 1 NC), of Kirkland, Wash., will take on Cung Le pupil Thomas Diagne (1-1) in a lightweight (155 pounds) matchup in the first televised bout of the evening.

STRIKEFORCE Challengers provides today's top prospects with the opportunity to step-up their level of competition and demonstrate their ability in a nationally televised event.

Tickets for the event can be purchased at the Comcast Arena at Everett box office (866-332-8499) as well as online at ComcastArenaEverett.com and STRIKEFORCE's official website (www.strikeforce.com <http://www.strikeforce.com/> ).

Comcast Arena at Everett doors will open for the STRIKEFORCE Challengers event at 5:15 p.m. The first preliminary bout will begin at 6 p.m. PT. The first main card bout will start at 8 p.m.

CAROS FODOR:
    "I'm excited to fight in front of my hometown fans and on SHOWTIME. Fighting on TV is a huge step for me. This is what I train for.

"I'm ready for everything in there. We had a great camp - I'm just ready for that bell to ring."

THOMAS DIAGNE:
    "I think he may try to take me down or box me, because he has strong hands, but I'm ready for everything.

"I'm not worried about the hometown crowd cheering him on. I'll have my coaches behind me so that should be enough.

"Everything went well in training. I had a good camp and didn't have any trouble making weight."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

an apology for winning?

At least Thomas showed "toughness in defeat".
    Caros Fodor Apologizes for His Performance in Beating Thomas Diagne
    7/23/2010 11:37 PM ET By Michael David Smith

Caros Fodor beat Thomas Diagne by unanimous decision Friday night on the Strikeforce Challengers card in Everett, Washington, but he wasn't satisfied.

In fact, Fodor, who improved his pro MMA record to 6-2, said immediately following the fight that he felt like he only showed off about 60 or 70 percent of what he can do, and he offered the fans an apology for letting the fight go to the judges' scorecards.

"I really don't have an excuse, I was a little bit off," Fodor said. "I apologize for that."

It didn't look like it would go the distance in the early part of the first round. Fodor knocked Diagne down with a left hook, kneed Diagne in the body when he got back up, and then knocked him down again with another left hook.

But Diagne, a Frenchman who trains with Cung Le and Josh Thomson, managed to recover, and he showed some toughness in defeat. Fodor nearly submitted Diagne with a keylock a couple of times, but Diagne managed to escape from every submission attempt.

Still, Fodor dominated the fight sufficiently that all three judges scored it 30-27. It was a solid showing for Fodor, even if he felt he had to apologize for it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thomas fights this Friday

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Press Release from STRIKEFORCE

THREE MORE EXCITING FIGHTS ROUND OUT
    STRIKEFORCE CHALLENGERS EVENT
    AT CEDAR PARK CENTER IN CEDAR PARK, TEXAS,
    THIS FRIDAY, FEB. 18, LIVE ON SHOWTIME®

Matchups Pit California Fighters Bryan Travers, Erik Apple, Tarzan Douglas,
    Against Texas’ Carlo Prater, Ryan Larson, Nick Gonzalez, Respectively

NEW YORK (Feb. 14, 2011) – Bryan Travers (14-2), of Bakersfield, Calif., takes on Carlo “Neo’’ Prater (25-10-1) of Bryan, Texas, at a catch weight of 160 pounds, Erik “Bad’’ Apple (10-2), of Laguna Niguel, Calif., will be opposed by local favorite Ryan Larson (5-2), of Austin, Texas, in a welterweight (170 pounds) skirmish and David “Tarzan’’ Douglas (5-2) of Antioch, Calif., takes on Austin fan favorite Nick “The Ghost’’ Gonzalez (16-8, 1 NC) at 150 pounds in featured bouts of a STRIKEFORCE Challengers fight card presented by Rockstar Energy Drink at Cedar Park Center in the Austin suburb of Cedar Park, Texas, this Friday, Feb. 18, live on SHOWTIME® at 11 p.m. ET/PT (delayed on the West Coast).

In the main event, unbeaten rising star Lyle “Fancy Pants” Beerbohm (15-0) of Spokane, Wash., takes on dangerous veteran Pat “Bam Bam’’ Healy (25-17) of St. Louis. Unbeaten lightweights Ryan Couture (1-0), of Las Vegas, the son of MMA legend Randy Couture, and Houston’s Lee Higgins (2-0) will clash in another televised fight.

Tickets for STRIKEFORCE’s third event in 21 days and second in the Lone Star State are on sale at Cedar Park Center ticket office, all Ticketmaster locations (800) 745-3000, Ticketmaster online (www.ticketmaster.com) and STRIKEFORCE's official website (www.strikeforce.com).

The first non-televised, undercard fight will begin at 8 p.m. CT. Doors will open at 7:15 p.m.

The Californians, Travers, Apple and Douglas will be making their second starts on a STRIKEFORCE Challengers card while the Texans, Prater and Larson will be making their debuts for the San Jose, Calif.-based MMA promotion. Gonzalez will be fighting for STRIKEFORCE for a second time.

A winner in seven of his last eight, the 5-foot-10, 27-year-old Travers is a terrific wrestler who unanimously outpointed Rocky Johnson on Aug. 27, 2010. Travers’ six-fight winning streak was ended in his outing before last by “Bam Bam’’ Healy, who won a decision during a Challengers event May 21, 2010, in Portland, Ore., on SHOWTIME. Travers’ most noteworthy triumph was a unanimous decision over former UFC and IFL vet John Gunderson in May ‘09.

Prater is an eight-year pro and former WEC title challenger. The 6-foot, 29-year-old, who’ll be looking to regain his winning ways in this one, was victorious in his initial 10 starts after turning pro in November ‘02. Last Sept. 10, Prater fought three times during a single-night tournament.

Apple is a skilled wrestler who is gigantic for the division. This will be the 6-footer’s first assignment since a second-round TKO loss (punches) to Bobby Voelker on STRIKEFORCE Challengers on Nov. 20, 2009, on SHOWTIME. In his outing before last, Apple submitted then-highly touted Matt Makowski on Sept. 26, 2008.

Larson, a product of Relson Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Austin, has won by first-round submission in all but one of his victories. A pro since Feb. 10, 2006, he split his two outings in 2010, winning by first-round submission (rear-naked choke) over Anthony Macias on Feb. 27, and losing by an identical result to Derrick Hantz in his last fight on Aug. 20.

Douglas, a member of Cesar Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, is a 5-foot-11 non-stop action fighter who has won five out of six, including a second-round TKO (punches) over Dominic Clark in a non-televised match on a STRIKEFORCE Challengers event last Oct. 22 in Fresno, Calif.

Douglas’ most memorable win came against Mongkhon Wiwasuk, aka Malaipet, a Lumpinee Stadium Muay Thai champ in Thailand and an extremely dangerous striker, on Sept. 26, 2008, at Santa Ynez, Calif. He rallied to triumph by third-round TKO (punches) in a brawl that featured numerous changes in momentum, exceeded all expectations and, for sheer excitement, was as good as it gets.

Gonzalez is vastly more experienced than Douglas and has fought, among others, former STRIKEFORCE World Lightweight Champion Josh Thomson (June 26, 2007, on the undercard of Shamrock-Baroni in San Jose) and Yves Edwards on July 26, 2008.

A winner by unanimous decision over Tim Snyder in his last start on Aug. 20, 2010, the 5-foot-6 Gonzalez is 2-0 with one No-Contest dating to August 2009.
    The non-televised bouts will feature three promising fighters from Austin: Aaron Lan Franco (1-0), of Austin, meets Thomas Diagne (1-2), of San Jose, at 155 pounds and in an all-Austin affair of unbeatens, Drew Pendleton (2-0) will be opposed by Dennis Dombrow (2-0) at 145.
    Is STRIKEFORCE working a CA vs. TX angle now, or am I just trippin?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Bummer

Apparently, Lanfranco defeated Diagne RD 1 @ 4:22 by KO.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

From what I saw of this guy awesome kickboxing and great take downs but his ground game could use a little work or atleast during the time of his Meritt Warren fight but easier said than done.

I will watch out for Thomas Diagne in the future......