Thread: Zombie Threads of Old!

Hybrid View

Zombie Threads of Old!

I was looking for something specific, and found this:

Ultimatewingchun

Remember this date: June 1, 2006...

Within the next 5 years (or less) it will be a GIVEN within the grappling world (and the MMA world) that catch as catch can is not only a DIFFERENT approach to grappling than BJJ - but also an EXTREMELY formidable one.

"An ounce of gold is worth a ton of dust."
    By my calculations, you got about 6 months left....I'm betting on fail.

:-)
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    I was looking for something specific, and found this:

By my calculations, you got about 6 months left....I'm betting on fail.

:-)
    LMAO you should have put some money on the bet )

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    LMAO you should have put some money on the bet )
    sorry i didnt read the whole thread but:

you guys dont think catch wrestling is as good as bjj??? in general... i mean, they are different and both have alot to offer IMO...

merry prankster, i pretty much agree with everything you have said that i have read, but im not following you on this one... care to expand??? you too frost... personally, i like catch wresting... sure its not complete, but then neither is bjj... as a grappler in general, i feel both have alot to offer... freestyle and greco too... they have helped me alot...

syn7,

The context of the thread was that UWC was claiming first that catch wrestling as a style is still truly existent (It's not, really, IMO), and that it was "superior" to BJJ.

My point was that the folks he was pointing to as successful "catch" people were, in fact really great wrestlers in folk, free or greco, with submission thrown in. Sakuraba trained "catch," sure, but he was also a national Japanese wrestling champ, as I recall.

I advocate and believe that it's all the same ****. Grappling is grappling. I've competed in various formats, and the rules make the style make the fight. Add pinning as a way to lose, and the guard and the knee and elbow escape would disappear from BJJ, etc. There's a reason that wrestlers do well in BJJ, AND vice versa (lots of young BJJers do very well in high school wrestling). It's because the principles are all the same and they are more alike than different. It's just that the rules aren't the same.

He didn't like that response, which resulted in his statement that catch will be big five years from the date of the post. Which it's not.

That's all.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    syn7,

The context of the thread was that UWC was claiming first that catch wrestling as a style is still truly existent (It's not, really, IMO), and that it was "superior" to BJJ.

My point was that the folks he was pointing to as successful "catch" people were, in fact really great wrestlers in folk, free or greco, with submission thrown in. Sakuraba trained "catch," sure, but he was also a national Japanese wrestling champ, as I recall.

I advocate and believe that it's all the same ****. Grappling is grappling. I've competed in various formats, and the rules make the style make the fight. Add pinning as a way to lose, and the guard and the knee and elbow escape would disappear from BJJ, etc. There's a reason that wrestlers do well in BJJ, AND vice versa (lots of young BJJers do very well in high school wrestling). It's because the principles are all the same and they are more alike than different. It's just that the rules aren't the same.

He didn't like that response, which resulted in his statement that catch will be big five years from the date of the post. Which it's not.

That's all.
    what he said, victor made a number of comments about the superiority of catch over BJJ and how it was unique special etc, howBJJ was this or that (comments which showed he knows nothing really of BJJ) and this comment really put the icing on the cake

i believe like merry catch died out, and what is called catch now is nothing unique or special and that grappling is grappling

Of course merry being such a good grappler put it much better back then and now as i ever could have

oh ok... thanx...

i think no gi sub grappling prolly killed it off aye... what do you think??? coz thats such a general form of grappling that encompasses many grappling arts... catch and JJ alike...

i cant think of even one pure catch wrestler in mma... but i can think of tons of pure bjj in mma... not so much anymore, since being well rounded is alot more important now, but in the past you saw lots of unidimensional fighters... but never catch wrestlers, they were always something else too... i agree...

wheres the original thread???