Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Whisky!

Let's go to Kentucky!

Thousands of Bourbon Barrels Come Crashing Down in Kentucky

Warehouse No. 30 on the Barton 1792 Distillery campus in Bardstown, Ky., partly collapsed on Friday. About 9,000 barrels were amid the rubble.Credit Chief Billy Mattingly/Bardstown Fire Department, via Associated Press
    By Maya Salam
    June 22, 2018

Bourbon is flowing in Kentucky, but don’t grab a glass.

Thousands of full barrels of bourbon, and possibly other spirits, came crashing down when a storage warehouse in Bardstown, Ky., partly collapsed on Friday.

The collapse at the Barton 1792 Distillery campus was called in to emergency services about 10:55 a.m., Milt Spalding, an emergency services director in Nelson County, said during a news conference on Friday.

The structure houses about 20,000 barrels, and an aerial video showed half of the building demolished. About 9,000 barrels were amid the rubble, Mr. Spalding said. Each barrel holds 53 gallons.

Thousands Of Bourbon Barrels Smash To Ground In Distillery Collapse Credit Video by CBSDFW

The cause of the collapse was still unknown as of Friday evening, but it did not appear to be weather related, Mr. Spalding said. No injures were reported.

The Environmental Protection Agency responded to the collapse because of concerns that alcohol may have seeped into the area’s groundwater.

Early tests came back clean, Mr. Spalding said. But the state’s emergency response team — the Division of Waste Management and the Division of Water — had been on the site and was expected to collect more samples soon, John Mura, a spokesman for Kentucky’s Energy and Environment Cabinet, said in an email on Friday afternoon.

“There is a stream of bourbon and water running down the hillside that has taken much time to properly and thoroughly assess,” Mr. Mura said.

The spill has affected nearby Withrow Creek, a tributary to Beech Fork, but “it appears to be minimal,” he said.

While most of the visible barrels appear intact, Mr. Mura said, “there is a large pile of debris that is undoubtedly hiding a number of ruptured barrels.”

Mr. Spalding said that cleanup would be handled by Barton Brands, which is owned by Sazerac.

Barton has been able to “quickly construct containment and an environmental contractor is on site to start recovery,” Mr. Mura said.

According to its website, Barton 1792 Distillery was established in 1879 and is the oldest fully operating distillery in Bardstown, about 40 miles southeast of Louisville.

The distillery is on 196 acres, and there are more than two dozen barrel aging warehouses. The collapse was of warehouse No. 30, which houses a mix of distilled products at various ages, Amy Preske, a spokeswoman for Sazerac, said in an emailed statement. Ms. Preske said they had not yet been able to confirm what spirit was in each barrel as of Friday evening.

In its statement, Sazerac said that it was “assessing how many of the impacted barrels can be recovered” and that it may take days or weeks before a full report is complete.

The collapse and spill will not affect normal operations and the distillery should be open for tours on Saturday, according to Sazerac.

When asked on Friday if that area smelled overwhelmingly like bourbon, Kevin Grayson, the acting lieutenant for the Bardstown Fire Department, said, “This is Bardstown, it kind of always smells like bourbon.”

According to data shared in 2017 by the Kentucky Distillers’ Association, 95 percent of the world’s bourbon supply is crafted in Kentucky, where it is an $8.5 billion industry.

A version of this article appears in print on June 22, 2018, on Page A16 of the New York edition with the headline: Kentucky Collapse Destroys Thousands of Bourbon Barrels
    Meh, as whiskey disasters go, this is nothing compared to the Great Whiskey Fire (aka 1875 Chamber Street fire) which claimed some 13 victims - each died from alcohol poisoning.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

I love Evan Williams Bourbon Whiskey! I like the range of flavors on it.

James T. Kirk Straight Bourbon

Among Starfleet’s legendary space explorers, it is Admiral James T. Kirk who most embodies the spirit of bold adventure.

Born in the great state of Iowa on planet Earth in 2233, Kirk spent part of his youth on planet Tarsus IV, where he narrowly escaped death at the hand of the infamous Kodos the Executioner. Admitted to Starfleet Academy in 2250, Kirk was the only cadet to beat the infamous “Kobayashi Maru” test of character. As an ensign, he served on the Starship Republic, and his first posting after graduation in 2254 was aboard the U.S.S. Farragut.

James Kirk took command of the Starship Enterprise in 2264 on a five-year voyage of deep-space exploration that made him a legend. During that time, he led one of the first missions beyond our galaxy, he averted a new war with the Romulan Empire, and he literally saved Earth history by going back in time to undo a temporal accident.

Intensely loyal to his crew, Kirk did not hesitate to risk his career to rescue Spock, his first officer and friend, who was believed dead on the Genesis Planet. In one of Kirk’s most celebrated missions, he defied Starfleet Command to commandeer a stolen Klingon ship to prevent an ecological catastrophe from devastating his home world. Kirk entered a temporal anomaly in 2293 while helping to save the Starship Enterprise-B on its maiden voyage. He emerged in the year 2371, where he was killed while protecting the inhabitants of the Veridian system. He is buried on a mountaintop on Veridian III.

Kirk explored strange, new worlds, led humanitarian missions, and brought peace to planets in conflict. He made first contact with new life and new civilizations, pushing outward the frontiers of knowledge as he explored boldly, where none had gone before. He represented humanity at its best, doing the things that humans do best.

James T. Kirk Straight Bourbon celebrates his bold spirit of adventure.
    Should be brandy.

Saurian brandy.

That was Kirk's drink of choice.

THREADS:
    Let's talk Whisky!
    kung fu star trek people
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$343,000

Japanese Whisky Sells for Record $343,000
    BY BLOUIN ARTINFO | AUGUST 23, 2018

“YAMAZAKI-50 YEAR OLD"
    (Courtesy: Bonhams)

A 50-year-old rare first edition of Yamazaki whisky sold for a record $343,000 in the Bonhams Whisky Sale in Hong Kong on August 17, 2018. The cost for the whiskey was estimated at HK$1,800,000-2,400,000/£175,000-235,000. Previously, an expression of Karuizawa 1960 52-year-old 'The Dragon’ fetched HK$2.45 million at Bonhams in Hong Kong. Yamazaki single malt aged 50 years sold for HK$2.337 million at a Sotheby's auction in January in Hong Kong too.

"The oldest expression from the famous Japanese distillery, the whisky was matured in casks made from mizunara (Japanese Oak) before being bottled and released in 2005. Only 50 bottles were produced, making it one of the scarcest Japanese whiskies,” saidBonhams.com/press_release/26301/"> Bonhams.

The sale presented the finest of Japanese whiskies along with some of the most sought-after names in Scotch whisky such as Macallan, Port Ellen, and Ardbeg. In more than 620 bottles offered, there were 40 bottles of Yamazaki — which included the Yamazaki-35 year old priced at (HK$350,000-500,000/£34,200-48,400) and the Suntory-Rolling Stone 50th Anniversary (HK$280,000-360,000/£27,300-35,200). A bottle of Hibiki-Arita-35 year old, produced to celebrate the 400th anniversary of Japanese porcelain production was also offered for sale. Apparently only 150 bottles of the same were released.

Other selections included the finest Macallans — a Macallan Fine & Rare-1937-37 year old that cost HK$260,000-320,000/£25,400-31,200, and Macallan Fine & Rare-1946-56 year old that costs about HK$250,000-300,000/£24,400-29,300.

There was also a vertical collection of Port Ellen Annual Release, 17 bottles from 2001-2017 costing HK$280,000-360,000/£27,300-35,200. Besides these, on the block were pre-prohibition and medicinal bourbon whiskies from the early 20th century, including a bottle of Antique Whiskey-1912 costing HK$15,000-18,000/£1,400-1,700.

http://www.blouinartinfo.com

Founder: Louise Blouin
    Japanese whiskys are blowin up.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Spirit of Dublin!

£10,000 = $13,158.35

I love Teeling, especially their Single Grain. I had the chance to tour the distillery in Dublin when I did a set visit last year for Into the Badlands. I highly recommend that if you're in Dublin - it's not as historic as Jameson, but it's an active distillery (Actually you can do both in one day which is exactly what I did - it's walk-able, even stumble-able).

World record price for a bottle of Teeling Whiskey
    Updated / Tuesday, 11 Sep 2018 17:39

The sale of the bottle of whiskey surpassed a previous whiskey world record of £7,900 sold in auction from a new English distillery held earlier this year.

The first bottle of Teeling Whiskey Celebratory Single Pot Still has secured a world record price of £10,000 in an online auction, making it the most expensive bottle of whiskey ever sold at auction for a new distillery.

Partnering with WhiskyAuctioneer.com, the auction ran from August 31 until September 10, with all profits raised being donated to charitable causes based where the Teeling Whiskey Distillery is located in Dublin’s Liberties.

The sale of the bottle of whiskey surpassed a previous whiskey world record of £7,900 sold in auction from a new English distillery held earlier this year. All 100 bottles sold at auction, achieving an average per bottle price of £600, excluding the first bottle.

Jack Teeling, Founder and Managing Director of Teeling Whiskey said, "The release of the first Dublin distilled whiskey for nearly 50 years is truly a landmark occasion for the revival of Dublin as an urban centre for whiskey distillation and I can think of no better way to honour this than the first bottle achieving a world record price. This is another chapter in the revival of the craft of distilling in Dublin and heralds the beginning of our own range of Dublin distilled whiskeys on a wider scale, with the release of our commercially available Teeling Single Pot Still Whiskey later in the year."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey

Let's see now. When it comes to drinks, Bruce Lee has a posthumous line of teas. And Conor has...

But still, I luv Irish whiskey and must try this.

NOTORIOUS’ MMA STAR CONOR MCGREGOR DEBUTS HIS OWN IRISH WHISKEY
    1 Minute Read
    Produced by Cat Wolinski / @beeraffair
    Updated on 2018-09-18

Photo Credit: Conor McGregor Official / Instagram.com

Irish mixed martial arts (MMA) star and former UFC champion Conor McGregor announced on Monday the launch of his own whiskey, Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey, in Ireland and the U.S. this month.

Proper No. Twelve Irish Whiskey is produced by Erie Born Spirits, a company founded by McGregor, who will also serve as its chairman and majority owner, according to a press release. He has been referring to the venture as “Project Notorious.”

McGregor worked with master distiller David Elder to develop the blend. “We created close to one hundred blends and ultimately selected what we knew was the one and only proper whiskey blend. We took the time to develop an incredible whiskey and I’m excited to share it with the world,” McGregor said. The whiskey is described as “complex and sophisticated yet smooth and approachable with hints of vanilla, honey and toasted wood.”

Proper No. Twelve is named for the Dublin district from which McGregor hails, Dublin 12. “It’s a place dear to my heart. It’s where I learned how to fight; it made me who I am today. It’s a place I’m still very much a part of every single day of my life,” McGregor said, continuing, “I respect other Irish whiskeys, but I am coming in strong, with passion and with purpose. I am the founder of this company and I am going to give it my all.”

Proper No. Twelve will launch in liquor stores starting this month, retailing for $25 per 750-ml bottle (between €20 to €25), the Irish Post reports. In addition to its relatively affordable price tag, this whiskey gives back: $5 of every case, up to $1 million a year, will be donated to local first responders and charities.

“First responders all over the world are the unsung heroes who act with courage and answer the call of duty every day for people in need. I have great respect for these men and women,” McGregor said.

Mad respect, McGregor.

THREADS
    Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee
    Let's talk Whisky!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Grace “Amazing Grace” Jones

Reminds me of Doris Olive Netting. I'm beginning to think these elderly people are just scamming free drinks. Which is super wise.

[QUOTE]
    112-year-old woman credits longevity to nightly dram of single malt whiskey

Allison Shoemaker
    Yesterday 1:45pm
    Filed to:WHISKEY

Photo: Marina113 (iStock)

The oldest person in Great Britain celebrated her 112th birthday this week, and to mark the occasion, she gave away her secret to longevity: A dram of single malt whiskey, every night for the last sixty years.

Grace “Amazing Grace” Jones, who was born in Liverpool in 1906, told the Daily Mail that she has a nightcap of Famous Grouse Single Malt Whiskey nightly, and has done so for 62 years. That means she began this tradition in 1956. One hopes she is being sent a large case of free Famous Grouse right now as thanks for the loyal patronage and great publicity.

“I never miss my nightcap,” she told the paper:
    All I have is the whisky at night. Whisky is very good for you. I started having a nightly tot of it when I turned 50 so I’ve been having it every night for the last 60 years and I certainly have no intention of stopping now. My doctor said, ‘keep up with the whisky Grace, it’s good for your heart’.”[
    /QUOTE]

THREADS:
    Give it up to the elderly!!!!!
    Let's talk Whisky!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Funny reviews

Celebrity endorsed liquors like this are usually notoriously bad, but I'm still intrigued. A friend of mine got some and said it was good but he only knew about one kind of Jameson, so he's obviously no connoisseur of Irish whiskey.

Conor McGregor's Irish whiskey smashes sales records…despite terrible reviews
    Jack Beresford
    BY: Jack Beresford
    October 15, 2018

CONOR MCGREGOR is celebrating more success away from the Octagon after his Proper No.12 Irish whiskey set new "sales" and "buy" records.

The Irishman might be endured a tough time of things in UFC but he's going from strength-to-strength in the business world, with Dana White tipping him to become the first MMA fighter to make a billion.

McGregor's Irish whiskey has proven a hit back in Ireland, where bottles were flying off the shelves with such frequency that Tesco had to introduce a two-bottle limit per visit to for customers.
    thenotoriousmma
    Verified

2,910,115 likes
    thenotoriousmmaThe sales record and the buy record.
    Thank you to you, the fans ❤️
    @properwhiskey @ufc
    Those purchasing the spirit could be left disappointed, however, if the current crop of reviews is anything to go by.

To say McGregor's Proper No.12 Irish whiskey scored poorly with whiskey connoisseurs would be an understatement.

When Brin-Jonathan Butler presented the whiskey to a panel of experts for Bloomberg, their comments were scathing, to say the least, with one taster describing it as "watered-down."

"Obviously artificially coloured," another added, singling out the unappealing "notes of turpentine interlaced with the musk from a crowded, poorly-maintained Turkish bathhouse sauna."

Over at Business Insider, a similar meeting of established whiskey drinkers produced equally poor reviews

"It smelled like ethanol and tasted only marginally better," one noted.

"A small initial sip was deceptively okay, but subsequent snifters were like vanilla flavoring trying to cover up rubbing alcohol."

Despite the lukewarm reviews, the McGregor machine is showing no signs of slowing down, despite his humbling defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov UFC 229.

Not only did the fight break the record for the most-watched pay-per-view in MMA history but McGregor has since released his own clothing line which sold out in less than 24 hours.

THREADS
    Conor McGregor being compared to Bruce Lee
    Let's talk Whisky!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

A Claymore. You're a beauty!

Your Montgomery Scott Scotch Awaits
    StarTrek.com Staff
    November 28, 2018

Aye, laddie, Scotty would drink to this: Silver Screen Bottling Co. has just announced that Montgomery Scott Scotch will join James T. Kirk Bourbon, James T. Kirk Bourbon Reserve and Ten-Forward Vodka as part of the line of Star Trek branded spirits they've launched this year.

The blended scotch whisky -- and, yes, the Scots spell it without the "e" -- is available for pre-sale starting today, priced at $49.99, at www.MontgomeryScottScotch.com. Shipping will begin in March 2019.

Montgomery Scott Scotch is a limited batch produced in Glasgow by one of the most-awarded distilleries in Scotland. It's exceptionally smooth, with just a slight smoky note.

The entire Star Trek line of spirits is available for purchase at www.silverscreenbottling.com. Additional products will be added in the future.
    THREADS
    kung fu star trek people
    Let's talk Whisky!
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thumbs up

Hold the phone...whisky in a pouch?

THIS LONDON HOTEL HAS A WHISKY VENDING MACHINE AND EXACTLY ONE GUEST ROOM
    1 Minute Read
    Produced by Tim McKirdy / @timmckirdy
    Updated on 2018-12-03

Photo Credit: Whisky-Me

Minibars and vending machines aren’t usually synonymous with quality drinking experiences. At London’s Napoleon Hotel, however, there’s a new and novel way to enjoy a late night dram of high-quality Scotch.

The hotel, which is home to three bars and just one, luxury suite, recently installed the city’s very first whisky vending machine, Travel and Leisure reports.

London-based subscription service Whisky-Me owns and stocks the machine with a selection of 1.7-ounce pouches of Scotch. Labels include Macallan, Aberfeldy, and Royal Lochnager, as well as a commemorative release celebrating the start-up’s first year in business.

The vending machine is located in front of the hotel’s entrance and can be accessed by the general public as well as hotel guests. To make sure buyers are of legal drinking age, special tokens for the machine must be purchased from the hotel’s Devil’s Darlings bar. Tokens retail for £7.95 (roughly USD $10), and are on sale between 10 a.m. and 2 a.m.

Other attractions to entice whisky-lovers include the hotel’s Black Rock Bar, which features an 18-foot-long table filled with aging whisky to sample. The bar also stocks an impressive selection of whiskey from Japan, Ireland, Finland, and France, making for a dram good drinking experience.

Published: December 3, 2018
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$1.5 M for a bottle of 60-year-old Macallan

Here's a Macallan that doesn't come in a pouch.

‘ULTRA RARE’ MACALLAN WHISKY SELLS FOR $1.5 MILLION, SMASHES AUCTION RECORD
    1 Minute Read
    Produced by Tim McKirdy / @timmckirdy
    Updated on 2018-12-04

Photo Credit: Christie’s Images Ltd. 2018

It’s been quite the year for whisky auctions, especially those featuring bottles of 60-year-old Macallan.

In May, a bottle of Macallan Valerio Adami 1926 sold in Hong Kong for just over $1 million, at the time setting a record for the world’s most expensive whisky. Last month, that record was broken by another bottle of the same whisky, which sold for $1.1 million.

Finally, on November 29, a bottle of 60-year-old Macallan sold at a Christie’s auction in London for £1,200,000 (roughly $1,528,800), smashing the world record for the third time this year.

The whisky, which Christie’s describes as an “ultra-rare elixir,” is presented in a one-of-a-kind bottle, painted by Irish artist Michael Dillon. The bottle’s illustration depicts the Easter Elchies House of The Macallan against the backdrop of the Scottish Highlands.

This year’s prior two record-breaking bottlings came from a collection of 24 numbered bottles, 12 of which artist Peter Blake decorated, with the other 12 designed by Italian artist Valerio Adami. All three contain the same Scotch, a 1926 Macallan single malt which spent 60 years maturing in ex-sherry casks.

“The sale represents a landmark moment in the whisky market,” Christie’s International Director of Wine Tim Triptree MW said in a press release.

Published: December 4, 2018
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Today is International Whisk(e)y Day!

Cheers my friends!

INTERNATIONAL WHISK(E)Y DAY
    RAISE A GLASS... AND MORE!

27TH OF MARCH
    THE ANNUAL CELEBRATION OF WHISK(E)Y
    On this date let every whisk(e)y lover annually raise a dram - whereever in the world he or she may be - to honour the many unsung heroes of the past and present, who have been crafting the King o'Drinks for centuries and will hopefully continue to do so till the end of time.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I am not against alcohol, but I just have a healthy way of life. Moreover, I drink only high-quality water, which I obtain from my home filter https://www.bestproductspro.com/refrigerator-water-filters/. This is one of the best investments I have done in my entire life!

45,000 barrels gone

Not like the great whiskey fire in Dublin, but still...

45,000 barrels of Jim Beam bourbon destroyed in massive blaze

Massive fire at Jim Beam bourbon Warehouse in Kentucky
    By WKYT | Posted: Wed 4:37 AM, Jul 03, 2019 | Updated: Wed 11:33 AM, Jul 03, 2019

VERSAILLES, Ky. (WKYT)- Multiple crews are on the scene of a major fire at a bourbon warehouse facility.

[IMG]https://media.graytvinc.com/images/690*387/JIMBEAMFIREPIC.jpg[/IMG]

Woodford County Emergency Management Director Drew Chandler tells WKYT two barrel warehouses at a Jim Beam aging facility caught fire around 11:30 p.m. Tuesday.

Chandler says one warehouse initially caught fire with flames spreading to the second structure.

Crews were able to put out the flames in the second warehouse. Flames were still visible in the first warehouse five hours after the fire started.

Chandler says approximately 45,000 barrels of bourbon were in the warehouse that was still burning. He speculated crews could be on scene until late Wednesday night.

Multiple agencies are working to put the fire out. Bluegrass Emergency Response Team out of Lexington is bringing foam to the scene.

Chandler also said it's possible the fire was caused by a lightning strike, but that has not been confirmed.

A local business is bringing sand to control runoff into Glenns Creek.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!

OCTOBER 2, 2019 / 2:14 PM / A DAY AGO
    U.S. hits Scotch whisky, Italian cheese, French wine with 25% tariffs
    David Shepardson, David Lawder
    5 MIN READ

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Trump administration slapped 25% tariffs on French wine, Italian cheese and single-malt Scotch whisky — but spared Italian wine, pasta and olive oil — in retaliation for European Union subsidies on large aircraft.

The U.S. Trade Representative’s Office released a list of hundreds of European products that will get new tariffs, including cookies, salami, butter and yogurt - but in many cases applied to only some EU countries, including German camera parts and blankets produced in the United Kingdom.

The list includes UK-made sweaters, pullovers, cashmere items and wool clothing, as well as olives from France and Spain, EU-produced pork sausage and other pork products other than ham, and German coffee. The new tariffs are to take effect as early as Oct. 18.

The U.S. Trade Representative’s Office said it would “continually re-evaluate these tariffs based on our discussions with the EU” and expects to enter talks in a bid to resolve the dispute.

Still some Italian foods — Parmesan Reggiano, Romano and provolone cheese — were hit with tariffs as were Italian fruits, clams and yogurt. Also getting new tariffs are German and British camera parts, industrial microwave ovens, printed books, sweet biscuits and waffles.

The main target of the U.S. tariffs is Airbus aircraft made in the EU, which face 10% levy that could hurt U.S. airlines such as Delta (DAL.N) that have billions of dollars of Airbus orders waiting to be filled. EU products winning reprieves include chocolate, Greek, French and Portuguese olive oil, helicopters, frozen fish, lobster, sparkling wine, stemware and tiles.

Joseph Profaci, executive director of the North American Olive Oil Association, said a substantial portion of the imports initially threatened with tariffs were not on the list.

“We’re still digesting what it will mean for the industry, but the total universe of oil affected has been greatly reduced,” he said.

FILE PHOTO: A glass of French red wine is displayed at the Chateau du Pavillon in Sainte-Croix-Du-Mont, France, July 29, 2019. REUTERS/Regis Duvignau/File Photo

Specialty food importers in August had urged the Trump administration to skip the tariffs, saying “there are few to no domestic products” that could replace the imported items.

The Specialty Food Association said the tariffs would affect 14,000 U.S. specialty food retailers and over 20,000 other food retailers.

Ralph Hoffman, executive vice president of New Jersey-based Schuman Cheese, one of the largest importers of hard Italian cheeses, said the tariffs could slash his firm’s imports by 30% in the middle of the critical holiday season.

“It looks pretty bad. They hit cheese hard,” said Hoffman, who is also a vice president with the Cheese Importers Association of America.

Hoffman said Schuman and other companies had bought extra amounts of cheeses with a longer shelf life, but there was a limit to how much hedging they had been able to do. He said the company brings in over 1,100 containers of cheese each year, serving big box stores such as Costco and BJ’s Wholesale Club.

“This will put a massive dent in that,” he said.

Phil Marfuggi, president and CEO of Ambriola Co Inc, a unit of Auricchio SpA, one of Italy’s largest cheese producers, said 25% was lower than the 100% tariff initially threatened, but it came on top of 10-15% tariffs already paid on specialty cheeses.

Marfuggi, who also serves as president of the Cheese Importers Association of America, said his firm faced extra costs of up to $70,000 each for a dozen containers due to arrive in U.S. ports after Oct. 18, if USTR did not grant a shipping grace period.

Robert Tobiassen, president of the National Association of Beverage Importers, said the new tariffs on whisky, liqueurs and cordials, and wine from certain EU countries, would hit many of the United States’ 12,000 importers hard.

“These tariffs will devastate, perhaps destroy, many small and medium sized family businesses importing these products into the United States,” he said.

Many of the tariffs, especially those on alcohol, were not popular on social media.

Jacob Levy, a professor of political theory at McGill University, wrote on Twitter the tariffs were “an interesting strategy for lowering the trillion-dollar deficit: increase everyone’s need to drink to get through each day’s news, then tax the heck out of the good alcohol.”

Reporting by David Shepardson and David Lawder; Additional reporting by Andrea Shalal; Editing by Leslie Adler, Lisa Shumaker and Sandra Maler

THREADS
    Whisky
    Cheese
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips