Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Whisky!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po View Post
    Yes, I am. I was told years ago by a brain scientist that just quiting cold turkey from booze can kill you. I do not want to die, so I continue to maintain my buzz. I have tried all sorts of drugs, but never did find one that agreed with me, until I started drinking this elixor called alchohol. I have always considered beer and wine to be stage one for good whisky or vodka.
    Whoa, I was just kidding around. You need help bro. Seriously, that sh1t will kill you. The DT's suck, but it shouldn't take too long to taper off if you're serious.

I've seen guys comming off benders look worse than opiate addicts detoxing. And opiate withdrawl is CRAAAZY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Syn7 View Post
    Especially if he's drinking other spirits or liquors on top of that.
    Winston Churchill was something of a statesman. I think he was reputed to consume a quart of Scotch a day. Large man, large thirst. I on average consume 3, 1.75 Liters of beverage in a given month. I will consume various other beverages in much smaller amounts occasionally when socializing with friends that also drink. I used to do the snuff blasters. That is weed reduced to a dust in a coffee bean grinder. In the manner of the old timers I would take a pinch between thumb and forefinger and sniff it as though it were snuff. Instant blast.
    I am what most call a functional drunk. Most people do not know I am buzzed. I never seem to get slobbering drunk, or staggering drunk or whatever. I seem to maintain my posture as a sober person. I will admit that it has been one of my more positive attributes where my fighting skills came it. Being buzzed all the time also ment I was completely without moral boundries so to speak, and fear was never a factor in whatever I decided to do. I will admit that it did not always lead to making positive decisions and could have even lead to an aggressive nature.
    I am working on a fresh jug right now. My doctor tells me that it does not make sense that I should stop now. We both know what is going to kill me, we just don't exactly know when.
    Jackie Lee

I am working on a fresh jug right now. My doctor tells me that it does not make sense that I should stop now. We both know what is going to kill me, we just don't exactly know when.

Wow. Your doctor doesn't have issue with you drinking enough to stay permabuzzed? I dunno bout that, man. I sure hope he knows what he's talking about.
    Is he a drinker too?

Beleive it or not, this is the first I've heard of Honey Jack

I must try some. I like good ol' straight JD. It was my father's drink of choice, and I still favor it for its honesty. I've also developed a taste for Green Label Jack. As you might know, the East Coast Tiger Claw office is in TN, and when we've crossed paths on the road, they've treated me to a bottle of that fine local pleasure. I'm not into Gentleman Jack. If I'm going to drink a higher end whiskey, it's going to be a single malt.

I suspect I won't like Honey Jack because I don't really care for sweet liquor, but thanks for the tip, guys. See? I knew there was some value in this forum here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Blog Entries
    The Trader Joe's Blended Scotch Whisky is cheat ($9.99 1 Litre) and not bad.
    http://johnswang.com

More opinion -> more argument
    Less opinion -> less argument
    No opinion -> no argument

Wow. Your doctor doesn't have issue with you drinking enough to stay permabuzzed? I dunno bout that, man. I sure hope he knows what he's talking about.
    Is he a drinker too?
    He is not fine with my drinking so much, but he realizes that stopping or even slowing down will not really make much difference. You see, I have terminal cancer. So, I can still do what I can to keep the industry solvent. He, as well as a few others, have told me that they feel that cancers can more easily be linked to heavy drinking than it can to actual smoking of tobacco.

Something to think about. Most whisky's get their taste from the impurities that are left in it during distillization. Then more impurity is put into it in the charred barrel process. You can add flavor without adding sweeteners, such as soaking white oak wood in peach syrup or honey in water, then upon drying it is burned to add these carmalized sugars to the flavor. I find most scotch whisky to have heart burn in them because of the peat and burned wood tastes. The safest and cleanest alchohol is vodka that is like everclear, reduced with distilled water. You can purchase mixes to flavor this diluted alchohol to taste like most anything you favor, thus not having to consume the aldehydes that most boose has in it.
    Jackie Lee

He is not fine with my drinking so much, but he realizes that stopping or even slowing down will not really make much difference. You see, I have terminal cancer. So, I can still do what I can to keep the industry solvent. He, as well as a few others, have told me that they feel that cancers can more easily be linked to heavy drinking than it can to actual smoking of tobacco.

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. My grandfather was a heavy smoker. He quit then was diagnosed with emphysema. He fought it for a bit, then he just started smoking again and enjoyed what time he had left.

On that note, I totally understand what you were saying before. Makes more sense now. Still, it ain't over till it's over. Best wishes, and I hope you have good times ahead.

So is the cancer caused by the impurities or the alcohol? Or both? What about light but consistent drinking?

didn't know this thread got revived. I've never really drank much whiskey until fairly recently.

I got a 4.5 L bottle of Johnnie walker Black 12yr for my birthday over the summer.
    It's really smokey and the taste doesn't really change too much from the first taste to the after. It's got a fair kick and it mixes fairly well in coctails as well unless you don't like the smokeyness.

I also got a bottle of an Irish Whiskey called Redbreast 12yr. It was maybe the easiest drinking whiskey I've ever tried. The taste and kick are rather diminished, with a little bit of a floral and zest kinda aftertaste.

Otherwise I've only tried some of the standards that are at every liquor store. Jack, Jim Beam (White label), Jameson, Crown, Glenlivet 12 and 18yr. I do tend to like the bourbons and sour mash whiskeys for thier sweetness, but that may be because i've always been a rum guy.

That sucks man, sorry to hear that. My grandfather was a heavy smoker. He quit then was diagnosed with emphysema. He fought it for a bit, then he just started smoking again and enjoyed what time he had left.

On that note, I totally understand what you were saying before. Makes more sense now. Still, it ain't over till it's over. Best wishes, and I hope you have good times ahead.

So is the cancer caused by the impurities or the alcohol? Or both? What about light but consistent drinking?
    I don't think anyone really knows these things, and being linked to something is only circumstancial at best. I know some really old dudes that have drank all their lives and have never had a sick day, and that usually includes smoking too. I think it is just the luck of the draw. I am 67 years old, been lots of places, done lots of things. I read that we are normally alloted 3 score and 10 years on average, give or take a couple. That pretty much puts me right there so when I go, be it 2 months or 2 years, I will have been taken by natural causes I suppose. In the mean time, I have a lot of booze to take care of.
    A pretty decent 80 proof vodka can usually be purchased for around10 or 11 bucks per 1.75 liters. That's pretty cheap. You can usually taste the charcoal used in filtration however. There are several sites on the web where you can purchase what is called Essense, which you use to change this cheap vodka into anything you want. Crown Royal, Rum, Tequilla, Canadian Blends, Scotch, Gin, whatever you like. It mixes well with various mixes, and for sipping can hardly be distinguished from the real thing.
    Jackie Lee

So whats the diff between pure shine(diluted with only water) and vodka? One is from corn and the other from potatoes? Would a moonshiner in Russia call his sauce vodka? Whereas a shiner from the US calls it whiskey? Otherwise, same thing with a different mash???

I love your enthusiasm Lee. Whatever you choose, good luck with that.

So whats the diff between pure shine(diluted with only water) and vodka? One is from corn and the other from potatoes? Would a moonshiner in Russia call his sauce vodka? Whereas a shiner from the US calls it whiskey? Otherwise, same thing with a different mash???

I love your enthusiasm Lee. Whatever you choose, good luck with that.
    To answer that question, there is really no difference. Alchohol is alchohol. Bourbon is made from corn, but allows up to 20% malted barley. Regular corn squeezings might have other malted grains, but is going to be mostly corn based. Vodka is made from lots of different grains, and in Poland potatoes were commonly used. Russian vodka was usually made from all grains.
    Whisky is usually made from beers, brandy is made from fruit wines. Distilled to concentrate the alchohol. Rums are made from sugars and residue left from making sugars.
    In order to make wines we simply extract the juices from fruit or berries since they usually contain high sugar contents. Grain on the other hand doesn't. It has starch. So, some if not all the grains will be sprouted as if to plant it. This creates enzymes that break the starch strands into sugars that can be fermented into alchohol. Once it is converted to alchohol, you simply extract it by distilling it.
    You can distill the product several times and get a really pure alchohol, or you can use a special still that extracts all the alchohol at one pass. Either way it is alchohol. And of course, you can not drink 195 proof alchohol, so you break it back down with a clear, pure form of water. Between 80 and 90 proof seems to be the range of good taste. Now that makes Vodka. If you only distill it down with a pot still until you get 80 proof, it will not be Vodka. It will be some form of whisky, depending on the base. That is the difference between shine and vodka. Shine usually retains some of the beer base that gives it a measure of flavor. All that is cooked out of vodka and then replaced with clean, clear water.
    Back many years ago, when alchohol was prohibited, the local bootleggers would not make their own, but would pay the local people to do it for them. They would provide a small pot still and sugar or corn, then give them a quick crash course in making Bathtub Gin. The amount that they were able to make would vary and sometimes they would have a bathtub leak and end up with less than called for. So that they would get paid, they would sometimes add stuff to it to make it kick harder. Lye, acids, rubbing alchohol, anti freeze. They would add it before they distilled it. When enough people did that and the entire collection was in one vat, it sometimes caused serious poisonings. The bootleggers would kill you if they caught you juicing your alchohol. Bad for business. There is really no way of poisoning yourself making booze unless you do it on purpose.
    Making vodka from potatoes can be sketchy. The eyes that sprout have enough enzyme to convert a bunch of potato starch to sugar, but they are toxic. Most of that toxicity is removed on distillation however. The Polls used grain malt as well as potato eyes, but the finished product can only be drank by a Poll. Destinctive taste and is definately an acquired taste. You can't taste the vodka, but you can definately taste the process in which it is made.
    Jackie Lee

The only thing I know about whiskey is that it's delicious and part of a nutritious St Patrick's Day breakfast

To answer that question, there is really no difference. Alchohol is alchohol. Bourbon is made from corn, but allows up to 20% malted barley. Regular corn squeezings might have other malted grains, but is going to be mostly corn based. Vodka is made from lots of different grains, and in Poland potatoes were commonly used. Russian vodka was usually made from all grains.
    Whisky is usually made from beers, brandy is made from fruit wines. Distilled to concentrate the alchohol. Rums are made from sugars and residue left from making sugars.
    In order to make wines we simply extract the juices from fruit or berries since they usually contain high sugar contents. Grain on the other hand doesn't. It has starch. So, some if not all the grains will be sprouted as if to plant it. This creates enzymes that break the starch strands into sugars that can be fermented into alchohol. Once it is converted to alchohol, you simply extract it by distilling it.
    You can distill the product several times and get a really pure alchohol, or you can use a special still that extracts all the alchohol at one pass. Either way it is alchohol. And of course, you can not drink 195 proof alchohol, so you break it back down with a clear, pure form of water. Between 80 and 90 proof seems to be the range of good taste. Now that makes Vodka. If you only distill it down with a pot still until you get 80 proof, it will not be Vodka. It will be some form of whisky, depending on the base. That is the difference between shine and vodka. Shine usually retains some of the beer base that gives it a measure of flavor. All that is cooked out of vodka and then replaced with clean, clear water.
    Back many years ago, when alchohol was prohibited, the local bootleggers would not make their own, but would pay the local people to do it for them. They would provide a small pot still and sugar or corn, then give them a quick crash course in making Bathtub Gin. The amount that they were able to make would vary and sometimes they would have a bathtub leak and end up with less than called for. So that they would get paid, they would sometimes add stuff to it to make it kick harder. Lye, acids, rubbing alchohol, anti freeze. They would add it before they distilled it. When enough people did that and the entire collection was in one vat, it sometimes caused serious poisonings. The bootleggers would kill you if they caught you juicing your alchohol. Bad for business. There is really no way of poisoning yourself making booze unless you do it on purpose.
    Making vodka from potatoes can be sketchy. The eyes that sprout have enough enzyme to convert a bunch of potato starch to sugar, but they are toxic. Most of that toxicity is removed on distillation however. The Polls used grain malt as well as potato eyes, but the finished product can only be drank by a Poll. Destinctive taste and is definately an acquired taste. You can't taste the vodka, but you can definately taste the process in which it is made.
    Thanx for taking the time. I knew alot of that, but you mos def filled in some gaps for me. Grazie

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon View Post
    The only thing I know about whiskey is that it's delicious and part of a nutritious St Patrick's Day breakfast
    LOL!! Definately one of the 5 major food groups. Bourbon and grits will get your head straightened out.
    Jackie Lee

NO NO... That is gritz then bourbon!!! The order is important