Thread: What do you think about heavy WC training like this

Question What do you think about heavy WC training like this

Just seeing what people think about training WC/VT like this real heavy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkFEC...eature=related

probably would be more helpful if they full contact sparred/fought against other styles. in my reallllly humble opinion, they've become tunnel visioned in their sparring against each other, perhaps.

pretty big boys, tho. wouldnt like to p*ss them off in a bar.

Quote Originally Posted by tigershorty View Post
    probably would be more helpful if they full contact sparred/fought against other styles. in my reallllly humble opinion, they've become tunnel visioned in their sparring against each other, perhaps.
    Exactly.

That clip was crap ("chain punching" is, except in a few, very limited situations, a very bad tactic to use -- it is very easily defeated). And that sort of "training" only further brainwashes people (look, Mom, I can chain punch my scrub partner, I must be good! Yeah, let's put that up on youtube to show the world!). They are so brainwashed that they don't even know how bad (silly) they look.

A lead-pipe truth is that you are only as good as your training/sparring partners. So, if you want to develop good skill, you need to seek out good, skilled people to train/spar with.

Yet, you see over and over WCK people NOT doing this -- but only "sparring" with their own group or other kung fu people or karate people. Why? Why do you think that is the case when there are MMA gyms all over the place, when boxing gyms are common, when MT gyms have become more common, etc.? There are more places than ever producing good fighters yet so many WCK people REFUSE to step into them. Why?

The people in WCK who are genuinely serious about developing fighting skill (including with their WCK) are doing that.

without commenting on how good or bad they are, its nice to see someone actually doing the hard work

Sorry, but I didn't see much hard contact there. Even when they were wearing gloves you could see they weren't hitting hard.
    Mike

Agree with Mr. T_niehoff.

Want to add though some work is better than no work.

I saw it as good to see people sparring hard though it did get a bit sloppy but I would say do both hard and then slower/softer to feel more and get more technique and then go hard from time to time to stay practical and moving forward at the same time perhaps.....

That wasn't hard sparring.
    Even though they were wearing gloves they weren't hitting hard.

Look at a boxing match then look at this. Even when the punches were clean there was no power behind them.

That looked like a demo of what they thought hard sparring would look like.

It was crap.

I've been hit harder in class than that and I'm a grappler.

I must spit to get the bad taste out of my mouth.

Bah!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by t_niehoff View Post
    Exactly.

That clip was crap ("chain punching" is, except in a few, very limited situations, a very bad tactic to use -- it is very easily defeated). And that sort of "training" only further brainwashes people (look, Mom, I can chain punch my scrub partner, I must be good! Yeah, let's put that up on youtube to show the world!). They are so brainwashed that they don't even know how bad (silly) they look.
    Thats an interesting comment, T. Care to elaborate?

I am of a similar opinion and am quite happy to discuss, civilly.
    When it does happen, it's fast and hard and over quick. Either I'm standing or he's standing. That's Real.
    nospam

You type because you have fingers. Not because you have logic.
    Phil Redmond

I reckon Fighterman would put t_niehoff in hospital

Quote Originally Posted by LSWCTN1 View Post
    Thats an interesting comment, T. Care to elaborate?

I am of a similar opinion and am quite happy to discuss, civilly.
    I am not sure which part of my comment you found "interesting" or want me to elaborate.

I assume it is about "chain punching". Certainly chain punching (lien wan choi) is a tactic of WCK, but one that has been greatly over-stressed. It is not the "bread and butter" of WCK as so many appear to think it is. And typically, you see people do it because, quite frankly, they don't know what else to do. So, generally, chain punching is a sign (symptom) of low level and poor skill. It is the equivalent to wind-milling in boxing.

I have found that the best time for chain punching is when your opponent tries to disengage (break contact) and is moving quickly away, and then a short "burst" can be used to cover the distance and re-establish range and/or contact. It's safe when he is backing up since his movement limits his counters which normally would handle chain punching (like shooting low, collapsing the distance, circling, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by mjw View Post
    Just seeing what people think about training WC/VT like this real heavy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkFEC...eature=related
    That's not heavy at all or good in any sense. The game needs to be diversified a lot. That looked like a couple guys with a few weeks of training. If anything, it looks like a couple of guys faking WC.

If the people in that video have been training more than 6 months, they should be thrown out of the school for poor performance, or the school is so lame that, that is the standard in which case the should leave under their own volition.

don't diss that guy, he defeated a real boxer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHrLMbBM_sc